Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
rvanvalk

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo Seiya Dojo
United_States
YouTube: Ellis Amdur Taikyoku Aikido Kumi-Jo & Taijutsu, Oberlin, OH

There is a new video on YouTube of Ellis Amdur excerpted from a 3-day seminar hosted by Oberlin Aikido Club in Ohio Jan 30 - Feb 1, 2015. Click HERE to view the video.

In Amdur's words: "My recent explorations regarding aikido concern the adaptation of basic movement principles (in this case the theme of ikkyoku - 'first principle') into effective use of the medium length staff. This is a product of research I've been doing with my training brother, Bruce Bookman, the goal being the expression of an explosive level of power with the weapon (or hand-to-hand) with minimal movement or physical tension. For me, aikido is not a "combative art" - it's a laboratory to study these principles in depth so that they can be applied in any/all venue. The material is this video is directly relevant to my book, Hidden in Plain Sight."

Robert Van Valkenburgh
Taikyoku Budo Seiya Dojo
www.seiyadojo.com
Old 06-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia
Re: YouTube: Ellis Amdur Taikyoku Aikido Kumi-Jo & Taijutsu, Oberlin, OH

Thanks for sharing this, always interested in seeing what Ellis Admur has to say. I've only been lucky enough to attend one seminar with him, and he left me with a number of things to think about and explore in my own aikido.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
rvanvalk

United_States

Quote:
Tony Mills wrote: View Post
Thanks for sharing this, always interested in seeing what Ellis Admur has to say. I've only been lucky enough to attend one seminar with him, and he left me with a number of things to think about and explore in my own aikido.
I'm glad to have been able to share it.

Robert Van Valkenburgh
Taikyoku Budo Seiya Dojo
www.seiyadojo.com
Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Dear All,
Hate to say this but the video shown is a bit like the Emperors New Clothes.Too much talking not enough action.Maybe the video does not do Amdur Sensei justice? Sorry. cheers, Joe.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
rvanvalk

United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear All,
Hate to say this but the video shown is a bit like the Emperors New Clothes.Too much talking not enough action.Maybe the video does not do Amdur Sensei justice? Sorry. cheers, Joe.
Hi Joe,

This video was never intended to be a 'lesson' or a 'how to,' but is instead intended to display enough so that people 'get the idea.' For more from Amdur Sensei, one would have to attend one of his seminars or train with one of the people who is exploring these ideas further. As the saying goes, "It has to be felt."

That said, there is a longer video online wherein Amdur Sensei goes into more depth regarding his Taikyoku (Great Themes) concept as it relates to classical aikido. You can watch the video HERE.

Regards,

Robert Van Valkenburgh
Taikyoku Budo Seiya Dojo
www.seiyadojo.com
Old 06-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Todd Van Valkenburgh wrote: View Post
Hi Joe,

This video was never intended to be a 'lesson' or a 'how to,' but is instead intended to display enough so that people 'get the idea.' For more from Amdur Sensei, one would have to attend one of his seminars or train with one of the people who is exploring these ideas further. As the saying goes, "It has to be felt."

That said, there is a longer video online wherein Amdur Sensei goes into more depth regarding his Taikyoku (Great Themes) concept as it relates to classical aikido. You can watch the video HERE.

Regards,
Dear Todd,
I cannot say the longer video is any better than this first one I commented on.The ukes for example were akin to display dummies in a shop window.Maybe I am too harsh here? Not my cup of tea.Cheers, Joe.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
asiawide

Remind me of Mike Sigman.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Nice. Some valuable lessons. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
MRoh
Germany

Quote:
Todd Van Valkenburgh wrote: View Post
in this case the theme of ikkyoku - 'first principle'
In 0:39 we see a men-uchi. The following statement I understand as "that is Ikkyo"!

In order to be recognized as Ikkyo, there are missing some important elements in this technique.
But maybe I understood wrong, and it was "that is Ikkyoku"?