Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-28-2002, 09:49 PM   #1
Dean H.
Difference?

Has aikido made a difference in our world?

Thank you,
Dean
Old 09-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
It's made a difference in mine.

Aikido changes the world by changing one person at a time. Therefore, you cannot make such a macro statement....it is simply unmeasurable. It is up to each individual to answer the question for themselves.

However, Since Aikido is what I would term a "positive" force in the cycle of yin/yang...then i would say yes it has changed the world if you look at it this way!

Old 09-29-2002, 07:31 AM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
In many ways, Aikido has changed my life, and given my shaken faith in humanity a new lease.

Many of the American practitioners are looking beyond the actual training, beyond the cultural value of Japanese society, and we do try to bring an even higher value to the simplicity of Aikido practice that many times astounds even our fellow practitioners in Japan.

Maybe the combining of our Aikido practice into the fabric of our lives is with the lessons of practicality that allows us to seek the best qualities within ourselves.... while we struggle with the physical practice. There is only so much you can learn in the physical practice before you must let go of physical dominance to allow the ego of an attacker bring about their downfall.

I guess I am saying, the arrogance of some martial styles, the attempt to use them for Aikido become your undoing if you attempt to use force, anger, or superiority of self to practice Aikido. It clouds the mind, slows the reflexes, and hinders the fabric of training.

The very basis of Aikido calls for you to give up your self imposed image of superiority to use it to its full potential. If this is not a journey to correct the self and physically learn a martial art to its full potential, I don't know what is.

The real benefit of changing your attitude, is that once you open your defenses, your vision of how to better protect yourself, blend with the circumstances at hand, and view the personality traits that hold you back in training become clear ... or clearer.

That would indeed make a difference in anyones life, wouldn't it?

Last edited by Bruce Baker : 09-29-2002 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:06 PM   #4
Dean H.
Thank you Kevin and Bruce.

Wish you the best in your training.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
shihonage
United_States
No.