Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #26
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Yankyo reeeeeeally hurts    :-\(

I am one of the unfortunate ones who feels yonkyo instantly and I have a relatively high pain threshold apparently because I have my dental work done without anethesia. The cut down and pin are effective, even without the pain. One of my dojo mates was working up for his 4th kyu test and I agreed to work with him before and after classes to take falls for him with the understanding that he only got five yonkyo pins on each side per night. This went on for about a month and when the test came, Sensei did not ask for yonkyo at all and told me later that he knew my partner could do it as he had been watching it every night. Ouch!

What does seem to help with the residual pain and bruising is to massage the area vigorously along the bone line for a few seconds after each application.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 10-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #27
SeanHaeussinger2
Dojo: None
United_States

Quote:
Mary Turner wrote:
I learned before my 4th kyu test, I only practiced a couple times because none of the higher belts wanted to practice it!
4th Kyu is blue belt from my class, knowing Aikido only does white & black.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #28
Joyce Lunas
Dojo: Kobukan Dojo

Quote:
Daniel Loughlin wrote:
why am i the 1st person to simple say DURH ?

Hi Daniel,
What does DURH mean?

C u around,
Joyce
Old 11-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #29
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom
Freaky! Re: Yankyo reeeeeeally hurts :-\(

Mutant and Proud! the dan's i generally train with have come up with some great ways to make me tap though, like grinding the bones of my forearm together but so long as you have elbow control uke goes down, one particular dan i know used me as an example because i'm a mutant, put me to the mat, then looped an arm around my neck and proceeded to strangle me till i tapped
Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #30
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Unfortunately, i am no mutant! Yonkyo hurts, usually more so if it is done incorrectly.....

When training (being uke) and yonkyo is applied i have become very aware that a poorly applied yonkyo can be very sore! More like the feeling of an almighty nip inside my fore arm and of course, a big old bruise follows!

I've been informed and also experienced that a correct yonkyo will not leave a bruise. Tis just a shame that we had to wait till the day after to see if any bruises came up to point out the mistakes!!

peace and love

jo.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #31
Mato-san
Iceland

When I come home after a good session of yonkyo practice I have black and blue forearms, I enjoy hard practice like that. But also if you practice with women and children you need to tone it down.
Maybe you are in the wrong class, maybe you need to tell Sensei to tone down some peers....every situation is different. In general I myself tone it for my peers,hard and soft, unfortunatly not all Aikido players do it like that.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #32
Mike Grant
United Kingdom
Re: Yankyo reeeeeeally hurts :-\(

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
Mutant and Proud! the dan's i generally train with have come up with some great ways to make me tap though, like grinding the bones of my forearm together but so long as you have elbow control uke goes down, one particular dan i know used me as an example because i'm a mutant, put me to the mat, then looped an arm around my neck and proceeded to strangle me till i tapped
Tapping is for wimps.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #33
Chiburi
United_States

I have no idea if I am a mutant or not. It takes ALOT for me to feel pain or pressure. Sensei says it might be that I'm just extra flexible with a high tolerance for pain because I been doing it for X amount of years.
My nickname in dojo though is Gumby whenever any pins come up. The only one that really gets me is Nikyo, but that's just cuz' I know I'll get broken again if I don't tap in time.
I may be a tap-out wimp, but I'd rather train than spend the next month in cast on the sidelines!!

Shinma Hukumetsu
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #34
Walter Martindale
Canada

I'll echo a few of the other posters here. Yonkyo can certainly hurt. One sensei in my past tells of yonkyo races across the mat - 2 nage, 1 uke, and it's a bit like a wheelbarrow race. I've not seen or felt this, fortunately. Most sensei I've seen and felt use the pain portion of any of these techniques, including yonkyo, as "backup" and ensure that the positioning and movement of nage and the direction and shape of the 'cut' are what makes the technique happen. I've had my radial nerve bruised to blazes by someone who couldn't make me move with yonkyo, with me unable to properly use my hand for a few days afterward, and I've been bounced around like a (95 kg) noodle by someone who moved properly but caused no pain.
I _think_ that if you learn to reliably do the immobilization through good movement, and strengthen your grip and movement so that you can usually achieve the pain in an uke, you will be well off.
Rgds.
Walter
Old 12-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #35
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

You must be yoshinkan...
Quote:
One sensei in my past tells of yonkyo races across the mat - 2 nage, 1 uke, and it's a bit like a wheelbarrow race.
I've done that....
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 PM   #36
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
You must be yoshinkan...

I've done that....
Best,
Ron

Oh yeah, the gool 'ole "Iron Cross." Good training.
Cheers,

~Adam

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:59 AM   #37
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Can you imagine having Mustard Sensei on one arm, and Parker Shihan on the other???

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #38
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

My sensei never seems to miss with his yankyo....and I've learned to go with whatever he sends my way. I tend to have to really apply some pressure to him, but once I hit the right spot, he lets me know immediately :0)
Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #39
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
You must be yoshinkan...

I've done that....
Best,
Ron
I've watched a Yoshinkan practice once - does that count?
Aikikai seems to be the path I'm strolling along.
Walter