Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #26
RED
United_States
Re: O-Sensei a Shinto Priest?

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hi Maggie, I'm just an old curmugeon. I probably didn't even spell that correctly. Just feel free to ignore me when I get cranky, and please don't take it personally.

Best,
Ron
It is alright. I didn't take offense.

MM
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #27
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi Maggie, Ryan,

If I may step in for a moment...

It seems as though you have stirred up a veritable hornets nest with your thoughts that Morihei Ueshiba was a Shinto priest.

I think that the disbelief that you are encountering comes from the research undertaken by many, including those in this thread, that does not support your thoughts. Many people here have read the same books that you have, (some in its original Japanese language -- "Aikido Ichiro" and "Aikido Kaiso Ueshiba Morihei Den" by Kisshomaru Ueshiba) and have walked away not having found what you are claiming.

I'm sure that should you produce a substantive piece of evidence that points to Morihei Ueshiba's having been a Shinto priest, people would be quite interested, and most likely, happy to be proven wrong. But, until then, as what you are asserting is out of the norm, the burden of proof lies with you in pointing us towards the evidence (e.g. a quote and the page number from a book) that supports your assertion.

(As far as the other evidence cited of Morihei Ueshiba having worn a white hakama, having been called a mystic, and having had a Shinto shrine in all of his dojo, I would consider all of these to be circumstantial evidence -- many folks who are not Shinto priests wear white hakama, being called a "mystic" does not confer that person with priesthood necessarily, and the presence of a Shinto "shrine" in a dojo does not its dojocho into a Shinto priest make. I believe this is what many here in this thread are objecting to.)

Best,

-- Jun

PS: Thanks, Ellis, for your thoughts. I'm still making up my mind of which way I want to go myself...
The main point of my involvement in this post was to get more information on the subject. Shinto seems to be the most non-standard religion I have heard of aside from Hinduism. Both refer not to one, but hundreds of unique practices that all have separate rules, rituals, and culturally significant meanings that seem very confusing to an outsider. I came here trying to find knowledge, not instigate an argument. I would still like more information if anyone has any. I don't mind being wrong, but you must give me a good reason for me to believe I am

As far as my sources, I listed them as an explanation of my line of thinking, not to persuade others to think as I do. Conversations of religion tend to get... personal, so I try not to argue about it. I pulled sources out to refute the accusation that the theory was based upon something made up, not to convert others to my line of thinking. My evidence I am citing is circumstantial, but frankly, O'Sensei was not a historically significant person to a lot of people and the Omoto kyo sect kind of kept to itself, so information about O'Sensei's life while he was living there is kind of irregular and based largely on first hand accounts that have most likely been exaggerated over the years.

As for people with an opposing view, the hypothesis that O'Sensei was not a shinto priest is also still a hypothesis. If you are disagreeing without information to back it up or without putting forward another hypothesis, the first is just inconclusive. If anyone would care, list the sources and information you are basing that very definite opinion off of, as it would provide more information on the subject.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #28
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Confused Re: O-Sensei a Shinto Priest?

Quote:
Ryan Szesny wrote: View Post
The main point of my involvement in this post was to get more information on the subject. Shinto seems to be the most non-standard religion I have heard of aside from Hinduism. Both refer not to one, but hundreds of unique practices that all have separate rules, rituals, and culturally significant meanings that seem very confusing to an outsider. I came here trying to find knowledge, not instigate an argument. I would still like more information if anyone has any. I don't mind being wrong, but you must give me a good reason for me to believe I am

As far as my sources, I listed them as an explanation of my line of thinking, not to persuade others to think as I do. Conversations of religion tend to get... personal, so I try not to argue about it. I pulled sources out to refute the accusation that the theory was based upon something made up, not to convert others to my line of thinking. My evidence I am citing is circumstantial, but frankly, O'Sensei was not a historically significant person to a lot of people and the Omoto kyo sect kind of kept to itself, so information about O'Sensei's life while he was living there is kind of irregular and based largely on first hand accounts that have most likely been exaggerated over the years.

As for people with an opposing view, the hypothesis that O'Sensei was not a shinto priest is also still a hypothesis. If you are disagreeing without information to back it up or without putting forward another hypothesis, the first is just inconclusive. If anyone would care, list the sources and information you are basing that very definite opinion off of, as it would provide more information on the subject.
Do you REALLY believe it is US who must prove that O Sensei was NOT a Shinto priest?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #29
Sy Labthavikul
Dojo: Aikido Academy USA of Alhambra
United_States

Quote:
The main point of my involvement in this post was to get more information on the subject. Shinto seems to be the most non-standard religion I have heard of aside from Hinduism. Both refer not to one, but hundreds of unique practices that all have separate rules, rituals, and culturally significant meanings that seem very confusing to an outsider.
What classifies as a "standard religion"? Actually lets not go there.

Quote:
My evidence I am citing is circumstantial, but frankly, O'Sensei was not a historically significant person to a lot of people and the Omoto kyo sect kind of kept to itself, so information about O'Sensei's life while he was living there is kind of irregular and based largely on first hand accounts that have most likely been exaggerated over the years.
Actually, I believe Morihei Ueshiba's life has been pretty well documented, by Stanley Pranin and other historians. Morihei Ueshiba is actually a fairly prominent and significant figure in Japan, along with Jigaro Kano, Gichin Funakoshi, and others. A little research seems warranted.

Quote:
Here's a start, from the aikido historian himself, Stanley Pranin:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/encyclo...hp?entryID=723

Could not find mention of "priest" or even "Shinto" (other than mention of Kashima Shinto ryu) anywhere there. And please don't say "just because it doesn't say it there doesn't mean it isn't possible," because then I will lay down the hypothesis that O'Sensei was a fan of Steven Seagal movies.

Last edited by Sy Labthavikul : 12-26-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Replaced a snarky comment with an even snarkier one! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

---------------------------------
train as if the tengu will never visit, execute as if they already have
Old 12-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #30
PEC
Spain

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
"Well, the colors of the clothes are symbolize of one's moral intent and attainment. You see these people on my right, wearing all dark clothes, blue or black. They have embraced evil. I, wearing white, have embraced good. My student Steve, here, on my left, just can make up his mind yet which way he wants to go."
You could be the devil in disguise
Merry XMas

Pablo
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #31
Ryan Seznee
United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
Do you REALLY believe it is US who must prove that O Sensei was NOT a Shinto priest?
Why MUST someone prove anything? Why can't we just discuss a topic in peace?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #32
Ryan Seznee
United_States

Quote:
Sy Labthavikul wrote: View Post
What classifies as a "standard religion"? Actually lets not go there.

Actually, I believe Morihei Ueshiba's life has been pretty well documented, by Stanley Pranin and other historians. Morihei Ueshiba is actually a fairly prominent and significant figure in Japan, along with Jigaro Kano, Gichin Funakoshi, and others. A little research seems warranted.

Here's a start, from the aikido historian himself, Stanley Pranin:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/encyclo...hp?entryID=723

Could not find mention of "priest" or even "Shinto" (other than mention of Kashima Shinto ryu) anywhere there. And please don't say "just because it doesn't say it there doesn't mean it isn't possible," because then I will lay down the hypothesis that O'Sensei was a fan of Steven Seagal movies.
To clear up so as not to offend anyone who may be Shinto out there, I meant it has no standard Dogma, no common myths of creation, and a lot of versions of it have unique laws, customs, and traditions that are all together seperate and unique from other versions of Shintoism. Just like in Hinduism can refer to number of differant religeons originating in India in which have less comonalities than similarities.

I wouldn't go there because I have no intention of proving anything myself. I come on here selfishly asking for more information and only meant the chalenge as a way to get people to provide more information.

Thank you for the info
Old 12-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #33
Rev.K. Barrish

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja
United_States

Good Morning everyone,

Akiyama-san thank you for you kind message.

As for Kaiso (Ueshiba O'Sensei) being the Kannushi/ Shinto Priest.

O'Sensei was the unique human being who is considered to have become the Kami...the Shinto Priests I have known personally that worked with O'Sensei (my direct teacher Yamamoto Yukitaka Sen-Dai Guji- previous High Priest of Tsubaki Grand Shrine in Mie http://www.tsubaki.or.jp/ conducted the Chinzasai [ceremony to enshrine Aikido's Guardian Kami- Sarutahiko Okami in Iwama Aiki Jinja] have all had the most profound and utmost respect for Kaiso.

O'Sensei's spirituality and dedication to the Kami were unparalleled…however he was not the Kannushi (Shinto priest). As for colors of Hakama worn by Shinto Priests…

White is the color of Okami's purification..it is worn by all Shinto Priests during certain ceremonies and is also worn by non shrine professionals on various occasions.

Entry level Shinto Priests always wear white, but sometimes very senior Shinto Priests will wear white in their own shrines.

Gon-negi/ assistant Senior priests will often wear mizu-iro (light blue or turquoise color) sashibakama

Negi/full senior priests will usually wear murasaki (purple) sashibakama

Ikkyu ranked Shinto Priests will wear the purple with mon (emblems)

Tokkyu (highest rank Shinto priests [very rare]) will wear white with emblems

Every wish for everyone's health and happiness during the Holiday Season and throughout the New Year (Kanoe/ Tora Doshi/ Happaku Dosei) coming

Koichi Barrish
Negi
Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America
www.Tsubakishrine.org
Old 12-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #34
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Why MUST someone prove anything? Why can't we just discuss a topic in peace?
Some things are true, some things are false, some things are debatable. That's just life. Nothing to do with "peace", in any overt sense.

Quote:
To clear up so as not to offend anyone who may be Shinto out there, I meant it has no standard Dogma, no common myths of creation, and a lot of versions of it have unique laws, customs, and traditions that are all together seperate and unique from other versions of Shintoism.
I *thought* that most if not all forms of shinto do have many of the things above with the exception of a standard dogma. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who can shed some informed light on that.

Many of the diverse forms of christianity also have differences that can readily fit into those classifications above. They may or may not be "mainstream"...but even comparing mormanism vs catholisicm seems to reveal " a lot of versions of ...unique laws, customs, and traditions that are all together seperate and unique from other versions"...

And perhaps some differences in creation myths as well. For what it's worth.
Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #35
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Pablo,

If you've ever seen Ellis Amdur with a bokken in his hand, you'd know that he IS the devil and without a disquise!

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #36
Ryan Seznee
United_States

Quote:
Lawrence Koichi Barrish wrote: View Post
Good Morning everyone,

Akiyama-san thank you for you kind message.

As for Kaiso (Ueshiba O'Sensei) being the Kannushi/ Shinto Priest.

O'Sensei was the unique human being who is considered to have become the Kami...the Shinto Priests I have known personally that worked with O'Sensei (my direct teacher Yamamoto Yukitaka Sen-Dai Guji- previous High Priest of Tsubaki Grand Shrine in Mie http://www.tsubaki.or.jp/ conducted the Chinzasai [ceremony to enshrine Aikido's Guardian Kami- Sarutahiko Okami in Iwama Aiki Jinja] have all had the most profound and utmost respect for Kaiso.

O'Sensei's spirituality and dedication to the Kami were unparalleled…however he was not the Kannushi (Shinto priest). As for colors of Hakama worn by Shinto Priests…

White is the color of Okami's purification..it is worn by all Shinto Priests during certain ceremonies and is also worn by non shrine professionals on various occasions.

Entry level Shinto Priests always wear white, but sometimes very senior Shinto Priests will wear white in their own shrines.

Gon-negi/ assistant Senior priests will often wear mizu-iro (light blue or turquoise color) sashibakama

Negi/full senior priests will usually wear murasaki (purple) sashibakama

Ikkyu ranked Shinto Priests will wear the purple with mon (emblems)

Tokkyu (highest rank Shinto priests [very rare]) will wear white with emblems

Every wish for everyone's health and happiness during the Holiday Season and throughout the New Year (Kanoe/ Tora Doshi/ Happaku Dosei) coming

Koichi Barrish
Negi
Tsubaki Grand Shrine of America
www.Tsubakishrine.org
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #37
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Stray toughts, fwiw:

1) Shinto vs shintao: point clarified in another thread very nicely.
Another point pertinent is convention: Shinto is just spelled that way the same way that judo is spelled like that and not juudou or juudoo.

2) Osensei as priest.
Omoto, following the pattern of many "new religions" has a flattened hierarchy with many lay preachers. Judging by what we know of him through his students' interviews, Osensei certainly preached. But hard to hold to the idea of him being a priest when Omoto probably has nothing quite like that category.

3) Omoto as Shinto.
Shinto underwent a decided mongrelization coming into Meiji, ironic as Tokugawa just before it was a period of intended purification of "foreign elements" (Buddhism). Trembling at the impending threat of colonization by Europeans, foretold by Perry's hubristic gallivanting into Uraga Bay, the Japanese wanted unity to repel the foe and used Shinto as a means to this end. Having tried to destroy Buddhism (many Buddhist monks simply shed their monastic robes and put on priest's clothes), the authorities demanded that religious expression fall within the purview of State Shinto, ie, join a shrine system or disband. Deguchi had actually gone to Shinto school (for 2 years, IIRC) and so qualified. But his actual practice was more in line with shamanism than the ritual of Shinto, and could be considered Shinto mainly through political posturing.

A post to archive on the subject, is Wm Bodiford's at: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost...9&postcount=18

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #38
RED
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Some things are true, some things are false, some things are debatable.
And some things just aren't worth debating. With all respect.
This has exploded from my misplace comment saying the word "priest". I'm fully willing to admit that it was an incorrect term if I was allowed to digress.

My grandmother said, "If you ain't dying I don't want to hear no bitching." In the end I think that has some wisdom to it. Somethings are worth getting up in arms over, and somethings aren't. And this has exploded wayyy past my first inquiry.

peace!

MM
Old 12-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #39
Janet Rosen

OK, I've been offline a couple days. I'm the one who stirred it up originally, first by posting "???" in response to Maggie's post, then clarifying that AFAIK OSensei was not a priest, although (per the original discussion of music) kotodama was important.
Why the fuss? Because over the yrs there have been many claims made about OSensei, a lot of which aren't based in fact. So for some of us, esp those who respect but do not deify him, it pushes buttons when we read another inaccuracy.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #40
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Oomoto kyo itself uses the words "priest" and "sectarian Shinto" in their English materials.

However, what they are translating into "priest" is 宣伝使(sen den shi), a word they apparently made up. It means something like "someone who transmits the message" and is linguistically close to "missionary."

So, it is pretty clear that O'Sensei was not a Shinto "priest" in the common usage of the term.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #41
thisisnotreal

Hello,

Okay; I believe and think he's not a "priest"; but what about this...

re: 2) Osensei as priest.
Here taking 'Priest' not necessarily as teacher/etc, but as interlocutor or interceding personality, ministering to the people.

This, I think, is addressed in E. Amdur's, Hidden In Plain Sight, pp 167-8.
I don't know how much doo-doo i'd be invoking if i typed out the full relevant sections but if i had my druthers; I'd repeat the section starting "Follow Me...or Not"

This is all I dare to quote:
"He [Ueshiba] says that all that is necessary is for the Byakko Shinko Kai members to pray with Goi, and he will take responsibility for the rest. "Goi Sensei is a Great Bridge given to human beings who connects numerous worlds we need to pass through in order to reach God". So , too was Ueshiba's relationship to his own followers.

My opinion and understanding: This suggests more than the role of a common layman/MA teacher; and closer to a religious leader/teacher/priest. Is it wrong?

This seemed relevant to the thread. I guess it can be viewed as a type of 'missionary', as per Charles, but that quote above, (and truthfully, the entire section in the book) put things in a different light than I had ever read before about these things. I don't mean to be contentious by posting this. Ellis' work was new and interesting and spoke about things I have wondered (often & deeply) about.

Josh
Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #42
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Pablo,

If you've ever seen Ellis Amdur with a bokken in his hand, you'd know that he IS the devil and without a disquise!
And if he says he's going to serve you a cup of tea... run like hell .)

OTOH,

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure if he was or was not as well at this point. I've always assumed he was due to things said by my teachers and one Shihan.
Teachers and shihan are like other people, outside of their field of expertise (bending wrists and the like, in this case), they are not reliable sources.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #43
RED
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post

Teachers and shihan are like other people, outside of their field of expertise (bending wrists and the like, in this case), they are not reliable sources.
I agree with that. Also, sometimes people will say one thing, meaning another thing to their students.

I'm a little sponge though. I hear everything that's said to me, and try to make sense of it all.

MM
Old 12-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #44
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Keep an open mind but don't allow your brains to fall to the ground cause the opening.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #45
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Hello,

Bear with me as I confuse or clarify this discussion, depending on your understanding of Shinto and its connection to martial traditions.....

Shinto is in fact a general term that encompasses many indigenous Japanese folk customs, beliefs, traditions, rituals and cultural observences. Within the modern Shinto community is the dominant institutional form of Shinto referred to as "Shrine Shinto". There is also "Sect Shinto" encompassing forms like Omoto kyo, and "Minzoku (folk) Shinto", representing independent local cultural traditions that are frequently forms of Ko Shinto (Old Shinto) only loosely connected to other Shinto traditions and rituals.

Within some classical martial traditions exists various forms of Minzoku Shinto. These forms of Shinto are frequently syncretic, observing a highly diverse collection of traditions and rituals. In these martial traditions it is part of the headmasters responsibility to function as the de facto kannushi of the school. This is exactly the case in Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu. Consequently, one official position I hold within Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu is that of the schools kannushi. I was instructed by my teacher, Yukiyoshi Takamura, in the execution of various Shinto rituals traditionally observed in our koryu. As part of this responsibility I was required to memorize a significant compendium of Shinto Norito, some of these unique to TSYR. Last week I performed the Susu Harai Shinji which symbolizes the beginning of a period of rest and purification for the dojo, in preparation for Shogatsu/Saitansai and Kagami Baraki (New Years Observances).

So the question some people might ask is, does that make me a Shinto priest? The answer is no, not really, but that depends on your perspective. Within the Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu membership, I am a Shinto priest of sorts, but outside that membership, the answer would have to be no. I could not in ANY fashion represent myself as a Shinto priest in the way most people associate the term.

Although Rev K. Barrish has spoken definitively on the subject of Ueshiba Morihei, consider why he answered the way he did. Before WW2 Ueshiba was a member of Omoto Kyo. After WW2 Ueshiba was also operating well within the more orthodox Shrine Shinto circles, visiting shrines like Tsubaki O Kami Yashiro and seeking council with Rev Yukitaka Yamamoto. By walking this path he was acknowledging specific loyalty to the observances of both Omoto Kyo and Shrine Shinto. I am unaware of any instance when Ueshiba represented himself as also operating outside this sphere by claiming to be the kannushi of Aikido. Aikido as a modern budo had no previous connection to Minzoku Shinto nor did Ueshiba represent Aikido as reflecting its own unique branch of Shinto. Ueshiba thru his actions made it obvious that he saw himself as a devoted representative/follower of these traditions, recognizing their existing hierarchical structure.

Now, back to me. Takamura sensei became critically ill before he could teach me all I needed to learn about the Minzoku Shinto that formed the core of our spiritual traditions. Therefore he advised me to approach Shrine Shinto for further guidance in our observation and understanding of Shinto ritual and belief. Consequently, The Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai operates as a official branch of Tsubaki America, with Rev K Barrish assisting us in better understanding and representing the unique Shinto heritage left to us.

Last year Takamura sensei was officially enshrined as kami and now takes his place as an ujigami of Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin ryu. This was a very unique and significant event for TSYR. Rev K. Barrish undertook the daunting task of spearheading this effort in Japan and we remain grateful for his assistance in this pursuit.

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

Last edited by Toby Threadgill : 12-29-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #46
Janet Rosen

Toby, many thanks for a cogent clarification AND for a fascinating account of how the traditions are maintained today within a m.a. context.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #47
Buck
United_States
Unhappy Re: O-Sensei a Shinto Priest?

Now that it has been established O'Sensei wasn't officially considered a Shinto/Shin Tao priest.

A hypothetical was proposed that O’Sensei was a Shinto/Shin Tao priest. This could have been a very enjoyable and educational thread discussed appropriately by a less than a handful of people who are clearly qualified to do so. It does seem rare that a handful of such qualified people make a concert contribution to a signal thread, as seen here. That in its self is valuable opportunity to refrain from posting and listen.

I personally think of all tetchy and gnashing protesting posts, rising against the proposed idea O’Sensei was a Shinto/Shin Tao priest was distracting from the posts of those who are qualified to address the hypothetical mentioned in passing. I understand the need by those to be disagreeable and such. Everyone wants to be heard, and chime in. I think by not doing so would have hallmarked the thread. I also think that marking someone as evil/enemy for presenting a rational, reasonable and strong possibility should face a multitude of torches and pitchforks. But, instead be treated with the politeness, reason, civility and dignity, as incorporated by the tenets of O’Sensei. It would have made the thread a better thread without all that stuff, because the voices of knowledge would have rung louder and clearer.

I don’t think there is anyone, anywhere who hasn’t misunderstood O’Sensei and his achievements. We all have said something that has been incorrect concerning O’Sensei and his life or Aikido. In this situation the statement of O’Sensei being a priest was prefaced. And then later it was clearly stated again that O’Sensei being a priest wasn’t believed to be absolute fact, but rather a possibility- and a reasonable one at that.

It is not unreasonable to think for most people in or outside, Japanese or not Japanese, to think the possibility that O’Sensei was a Shin Tao/ Shinto priest is possible and reasonable. This is for all the obvious reasons, and then some. Not everyone has access to such information as result of experience, background, opportunity as the Rev. or Ellis for example not to think O’Sensei was a priest. A lot of Aikido( and O’Sensei’s life) information is orally past down, in books or on the net, all of which are not always accurate or complete. There is no real solid Aikido/O’Sensei bible out there to tell us. There are a limited number of people in the world who has had contact with O’Sensei long enough to be experts on him and yet they information varies widely from one another. Finally, let’s not for get O’Sensei and the complexity of his personality, persona and achievements. And on top of that the ambiguity of Aikido and O’Sensei leads to personal interpretations, personal inferences, everyone being expert and stuff on O”Sensei from across the spectrum of us Aikidokas; an event in behavior evidently seen in this and thousands of other threads. it’s no wonder why it is so difficult to know what is or isn’t fact or truth regarding Aikido and O’Sensei’s life.

If people really want the truth to be heard it might be advantageous to incorporate a few things in how they threat what they read or hear. First, we are all ignorant of O’Sensei’s life, a life that was ambiguous, complicated, intricate, and unique, to say the least. A life unique that was not well recorded in a way that is conducive to internet discussions, much less an bibliography that appeases everyone. A life lead that creates more questions than answers, where things seem to be that aren’t and visa versa. A heavily layered multifaceted life and belief system that leaves more questions than it does answers; so much so, it’s hard for anyone to accurately compose the correct picture. Second, falling into hypocrisy. I know think anyone hasn’t said something inaccurate or incorrect. Therefore, reevaluate when flaming someone in threads like this, is it really saying hypocrite? Not to mention flaming is unnecessary noise, and sign of not having anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussion. Third, there is someone who knows more then you, and what your response might be just as inaccurate and incorrect. Finally, is what you have to say just for you to hear yourself talk or is it something valuable to the discussion. If you derail the thread with empty comments for the purpose of seeing your name on the thread, or establish slaps on the back from those of a similar intent and class will anything be corrected or achieved? Will the fact or truth prevail or will it be squelched for the sake of one’s vanity, and a few virtual feel good high-fives from the guys.

Basically, respect the thread and what is trying to be achieved. In these thread exercise self-disciple and restraint, if you don’t adhere to civil discourse, especially in the face of those in the know. Aikido is hard enough and the vast amount of information on Aikido and O’Sensei’s life is shrouded in good-hearted and reasonable misconceptions, half-truths and stuff for the reasons I mention before. I have learned to approach any subject of O’Sensei and his life carefully, ask questions more than state it. As I said, there is no bible, no universally accepted definitive complete and accurate factual account of his life, what he believed, and how he meant it, and stuff. I don’t think there will ever be. Therefore, I think it would do us all good to take the advantage of the opportunity to refrain from commenting, and listen. I feel it is best to refrain from aggressive posting in this sort of discussion, so not to clutter and muffle the rare moments where something can be rightly established by those who can.

FWIW
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #48
Buck
United_States

Now the question is did O'Sensei think of himself as a priest. If so or if not than what is the impact of that on Aikido and Aikidoka.

If he was a Kami does that dwarf the position or importance of being a priest?

What is the importance of the any of it? That is outside the importance of being on the record a fact he wasn’t and not a reasonable misconception he was.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #49
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

A) There is no Shin Tao, so there is no need to include it in your post. It will just confuse the issue, and someone will come on and quote your post saying it is accurate. Not helpful.

B) It is perfectly *reasonable* to not know something.

It is not *reasonable* to argue the point once a mistake has been pointed out, or to have your dojo mates come on and argue the point for you, as if you needed the support in the first place. If something is wrong, it is wrong no matter HOW many people support it. Adding to the numbers of people who don't know something doesn't help. It simply compounds the original problem. Asking a question NEVER hurts. Giving wrong answers ALWAYS hurts. Calling people sexist for objecting to incorrect information ALWAYS hurts.

C) You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. I most often see posts like this from people who wish to be able to be heard, but who do not really wish to listen.

Quote:
As I said, there is no bible, no universally accepted definitive complete and accurate factual account of his life, what he believed, and how he meant it, and stuff.
If you believe this, then you might want to reconsider making statements like this:

Quote:
But, instead be treated with the politeness, reason, civility and dignity, as incorporated by the tenets of O’Sensei.
You might also want to look up the word

Quote:
mal⋅a⋅prop⋅ism  /ˈmæləprɒpˌɪzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mal-uh-prop-iz-uhm]
–noun 1. an act or habit of misusing words ridiculously, esp. by the confusion of words that are similar in sound.
2. an instance of this, as in “Lead the way and we'll precede.”
Understanding that word and avoiding the habit would go a long way to making certain posts much more readable. If being understood is a goal.

Best,
And With All Due Respect, Yada yada yada...
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #50
Buck
United_States

Ron, maybe the cause of your angst is your read on the word tenets as text. If you still have concern over usage and meaning I will be glad to discuss this in an affable manner via PM.

Let's move forward with positive contributions to the thread, and this forum, and such contributions that concern themselves with the topic as well. And we should keep our personal issues and such privately, and done thru PM.

Post thought, I also didn't capitlize bible. This may also have been over looked.

Last edited by Buck : 12-31-2009 at 01:31 PM.