Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
josh rhodes
Dojo: Four Seasons Martial Arts
ukemi (rolling)

I was wondering about rolling and if it just takes time to get use to it. I feel wierd right now doing the rolls even though I need to, to get better. I was just wondering what you guys think and how your experiences where?

01101000011010010010000001101001001000000110000101101101001000000110101001101111 01110011011010000010111000100000
Old 01-01-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
If you're new to rolling, you ought to let go of nage as soon as you feel your balance start to break, set yourself up and roll very carefully. When your skill and confidence level increases, your rolls can become more "dynamic."

Getting the hang of rolling takes some time. Rolling shouldn't be rushed too much. It's just too easy to mess up your shoulders (Don't get too big for your britches like I did in college. I was in agony for weeks, and my shoulder is still not the same ten+ years later . . .).

If you're talking about dizziness, you'll get used to it soon enough. If you become overly dizzy, sit out for a while to let your head re-adjust (politely inform sensei the reason you wish to sit out.)

Don't be discouraged.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 01-02-2004, 02:27 AM   #3
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Hi Josh,

Ukemi is all about confidence... so I would recommend taking it slow and building your confidence up.

Start by letting go of your nage and taking the roll in your own time (but always do the roll).

if you throw yourself into ukemi without knowing what you are doing too early then there is a chance you will get hurt, this will often make people slightly afraid of rolling and they will back off from it losing confidence taking more time to learn it in the long run.

take it slow, get used to it, safety first

Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 AM   #4
Dyusan
Dojo: Shoshikan
Hi Josh, ukemi at our school is looked upon as a seperate art. We spend time learning how to fall. During some of our classes we will go over how to fall from specific techniques. The biggest obstacle you will face is learning to enjoy falling. Then you will gain your confidence.

Gary Chase
Old 01-02-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Hey Josh,

It does take time... and tons of practice. I would come in on days off and practice rolling for an hour just to get the time in on it that I needed. I'm still not great by any exageration, but I'm a lot more comfortable with it.

My advice is to come early and stay late and work on rolling when you can. Seek the advice of others, as many as possible, but don't dwell and talk too much about it. Get it good and clear in your head what you need to work on and then WORK on it. Doing It is the only thing that will get you comfortable with it.

PS: I was at it for 3 months before I quit worrying about it, so don't let time be a factor for you... take all the time you need to get comfortable with it. Everyone is on your side to help you and let you get it right... so don't worry about what other's think either. What they are most likely thinking is "Hey! That was pretty good! He's getting better all the time!"

Good luck and keep going!

Old 01-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
SmilingNage
United_States
Ditto to what John said, well ditto to pretty much everything said here.

Rolling just isnt a natural first reaction when faced with the prospect of falling. Practice is about the only way to get better at it. Just remember, the mat is your friend.

Just like good friends, the closer you are to the mat the safer your roll will be.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.