Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
Diane Stevenson
United_States
Different Aiki - MA

Onegaishimasu.

Can anyone explain the difference between the different schools of Aikido? My reference point is nearly 20 years old, and I'm finding that there is a lot more diversity out there than I imagined!

My first exposure to Aikido was in Ohio; Aikido of Ueshiba, I think the sensei my instructors learned from was Sensei Frank Hreha. Now I'm finding that there are even regional differences within the US (some organizations are heavily west coast, some more prevalent on the east coast), and styles of Aikido that don't necessarily refrence a honbu in Japan.

Aside from organizational concerns is there a significant difference between Aikido and Aikibudo?

Domo arigato
Old 05-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Different Aiki - MA

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.aikidofaq.com/introduction.html
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. If you look for differences, that is what you will find. I think most of us try to 'find our fit', so we look for similarities. Differences will arise, no matter what, because change is what hangs around the most.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 05-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Teachers

Usually, styles in aikido get their characteristics from their teachers. There is one senior teacher at the top, and the students do their best to copy the aikido of that teacher. Then they tend to form separate organizations, or at least groups of dojos that cooperate.

Unfortunately, it often leads to some kind of isolation - students of one style rarely practice for teachers outside of it. I think that's both sad and unfortunate. Aikido is a wide community, and there are so many ways to practice it. We can only gain from widening our experiences, and learning from others than those that do exactly like we do.

Actually, I think it is each teacher's responsibility to encourage the students to widen their horizon, instead of narrowing it. I am not sure that every teacher would agree, though...

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Whatever the differences are, I don't think there's such a thing as 'better'. My Yoshinkan dojo is very involved with the precision of our techniques. Then when we have visitors from the neighboring city's Aikikai dojo and see the natural power in their beautiful, flowing waza, I think, "That has some value- I need to work that into my bodyslams."

Last edited by Bill Danosky : 05-25-2008 at 09:28 AM.