Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Letter from a student

I received this letter from a student right before her 5th kyu test. It made me feel good when I read it and I thought some of you out there might be able to relate to this in some fashion.

"Sensei,
I am always glad to help in any way possible and I will continue to offer my assistance whenever you need it.

It's funny that you should mention my iriminage because I've been playing the steps in my head trying to perfect the technique; not just iriminage, but all the test techniques. Plus I think John's ukemi really helps my techniques look that much better; is it possible for him to take ukemi for me during the test?? Just thought I'd ask... anything to help my test = )

After Saturday's meeting I thought about what you said about black belt testing, the qualifications, and the politics behind aikido. I questioned my expectations and reasons on why I want to continue aikido. I realized that what I expect from my training is to understand the art of aikido, and not just the steps to every technique. I want to continue to work on my break falls and rolls. I want to focus on my ki and not my strength when it comes to moving the uke and getting my techniques to work. My intentions are to work hard and continue to train to earn black belt rank.
I also realized that the most important reason that I'm training in aikido is because I really really like it and want to be very good at it.

I see that there is a lot involved in aikido, not just fancy foot work and awesome throws. I've learned more about myself and what I want to accomplish as I continue my training. When I become a good aikidoist and master the skills and techniques, I will be proud of myself no matter what rank I receive nor how fast I get promoted. As long as I continue to have fun and enjoy being involved, I will stay in aikido and one day look back and remember all the good history and stories about how it all begun for me and feel that all the sacrifice and commitment was worth it all.

Right now, I'm just going to enjoy the experience, the training, and the knowledge you have to offer. I listen to what you have to say and I strive to meet your expectations of me as your student. I sometimes have trouble getting all of the information to stick in my brain, but I will practice, train hard, and not let you down.

Thanks Sensei, I will see you on Thursday"

I think I enjoyed this letter because this is a young lady that has never read any aikido books or visited Aikiweb and yet she expressed sentiments like I have read from people who have learned from various sources as to what Aikido is and what it is supposed to do for you. This young lady just expressed these things from her heart as she experienced the art itself.
Best always,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 11-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States
Re: Letter from a student

Don't we wish all of our students were like this?

Nice, thanks for sharing Jorge.

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu
Old 11-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Jerry Miller

United_States

That was a great letter.

Jerry Miller
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
RobertFortune
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Thumbs down Re: Letter from a student

Aloha Jorge,

Mahalo for sharing your student's letter. It proves once again that truth and honesty are universal and that Aikido taught by a good teacher in a nurturing environment can indeed help to promote it. Peace, Justice & Love.

Aloha,

-Robert
Old 11-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Robert Fortune wrote:
Aloha Jorge,

Mahalo for sharing your student's letter. It proves once again that truth and honesty are universal and that Aikido taught by a good teacher in a nurturing environment can indeed help to promote it. Peace, Justice & Love.

Aloha,

-Robert
That's kind of the way that the letter hit me. I was somewhat amazed at the universality of what she expressed without being coached. In other words,what she said she was going to do is the advice most people give on this forum.
If I had anything to do with it, I give the credit to my first Aikido teachers, Eddie Martinez and Larry Salazar because I try to emulate them and say the kinds of things to my students that they said to me when I was starting. It's nice to know we might have done a little good along the way. Thanks for the comments.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 11-18-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
crbateman

That's pretty enlightened, especially for a 5th kyu. Some people just get it. They're the lucky ones. Cynics like me have to have it hammered in.