Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #51
Tom Kaluzynski
Re: A dojo in my area!!!

Oh, and Rob, congratulations on your son, that's the true meaning of life, eh? I remember those days... Thanks for putting up with my thickheadedness, too. Best T

Old 12-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #52
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I guess I'm better with names than I thought! I was thinking of John Kaluzynski. I'd endorse his aikido ability (and John if you are out there, you are invited to come teach a class anytime and bring your bother? cousin?).

Rob

Old 12-07-2004, 09:24 AM   #53
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

As noted, the frauds are out there and getting more frequent. I guess you know your art is popular when people start jumping on the bandwagon to claim a link so they can cash in on the popularity. Hopefully, pressure from the aikido world's legitimate styles: aikikai, ki society, yoshinkan, etc. will drum them out.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #54
rob_liberti
United_States

It would be great if M. Tani sensei could provide Aikiweb with a database dump once in a while and let us just text search from a link off the main page.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #55
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

Not that Rob Liberti Sensei needs defending, but here is my few cents worth......
I have been training in Aikido since 1986. I have trained and learned from a lot of people in that time.
When I go to William Gleason Sensei's dojo, or that of any of his students such as Rob Liberti Sensei...or Gary/Ania Small Sensei or Sato Sensei, one can go to those dojos knowing they will have a wonderful experience.
These senseis do not operate their respective dojos to put themselves on display. Rather, they believe deeply in what they have been taught. They wish to insure the high level of Aikido that senseis like Saotome and Ikeda and Gleason Sensei offer to us remains at a high level.
These senseis operate their dojos with success in mind. Not financial success, but the success of those students that come to learn the way of Aiki.
I have been fortunate enough to have trained and learned from all of these Senseis...and I look forward to continuing my education from them.

Just my humble opinion...thanks

Old 12-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #56
dhebert
Dojo: River Valley Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Tom Kaluzynski wrote:
Oh and some more background on me I am in arizona at this time and am a theatre manager here.( also, what does "keito" mean, I've never heard that. ) That's why I have such affinity for the arts etc. as a self proclaimed artist, I see the correlation on so many levels. But yes, art is always in medicine/neuroscience as well. It's a way of looking at things. I guess I see the other side too much sometimes. again I am NOT condoning the "frauds" it;s just to some people, for example, Mr. Liberti's credentials wouldnt cut it, sorry. This is just what I've heard from the people I know, mind you. I;m not really into aikido politics etc.
While reading this thread I felt I needed to vouch for Rob Liberti's credentials. I have trained on and off with Rob for a number of years now and I can assure anyone who is interested that there is no basis whatsoever to question his credentials. He has tested each step of the way with Gleason Sensei and Saotome Sensei and his rank is easily traceable through this lineage. Furthermore, over the past several years (almost 10 years?) I have seen him at most of the camps and seminars I have attended so I can attest to his dedication and hard work as an Aikido student - he has definitely put in his time. Aside from the issue of his credentials, Rob is a skilled Aikidoist, a talented teacher with much to offer, and a rewarding practice partner.

Sincerely,

Don Hebert

Old 12-07-2004, 03:42 PM   #57
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
As noted, the frauds are out there and getting more frequent. I guess you know your art is popular when people start jumping on the bandwagon to claim a link so they can cash in on the popularity. Hopefully, pressure from the aikido world's legitimate styles: aikikai, ki society, yoshinkan, etc. will drum them out.
Hopefully.

Maybe the web making it a smaller world will create greater awareness but it's a double edged sword that allows the greater spread of disinformation too.

Maybe the best you can hope for is prospective students choosing a fraud knowing full well the person is a fraud but choosing for their own reasons to ignore the information about him being a fraud. Buyer beware.

Old 12-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #58
PRapoza
Dojo: Cape Cod Aikido Kenkyukai 541 Thomas Landers Rd., East Falmouth

Hi Rob,

Hope things are well in CT. Belated, congratulations on the birth of your son. We are working on # 3.
IMO: The issue comes down to honesty and integrity. Anyone who claims to be a high ranking student in any art and is not, is a liar. I don't have any issue with people saying they studied a little of this and that and that they are making up their own art. They may be very talented and skillful and their students may benefit from their classes. That they are honest about their training is critical and speaks to their character or lack of.
That being said, I try and concentrate on my own training and dojo and not let all this BS "get to me". I don't always succeed. (getting off my soapbox).
BTW, I've always known Rob L. to be an excellent aikidoka and his students are a good reflection of his teaching.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:32 PM   #59
rob_liberti
United_States

Again, thanks guys.

A friend just pointed this out to me: (and I checked it out for myself)

On the aikiweb website do a dojo search for all dojos in Connecticut. You will find two entries for Mr. Liedke's dojo - with different ranks!

Bob Liedke, 4th dan
Last Updated: November 3rd, 2003
by Aikidokabob@aol.com

Robert Liedke, 6th dan
Last Updated: March 3rd, 2003
by aikidokabob@aol.com

The only explanation for someone to take a two rank demotion in seven months (submitted by him) is that the soke guy that took him into his organization asked him to make the change to look somewhat realistic.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #60
self-defense 1
Dojo: The American Institute of Martial Arts
United_States

My name is Brian Lambert. When I was informed of this forum I became quite upset. Let me introduce you to my background.

I have been a bodybuilder and an extreme athlete for 17 years. Literally, I work out every day of the week. This includes 5 days a week of classes at Sensei Liedke's school in New Haven, CT for the past 4 years. Let me inform the "traditional" practitioners, including Mr. Liberti, about my Sensei.

First, I'll offer my thoughts on traditional Aikido as a martial art. Quite simply, it is not. For someone who has been in a number of street fights and provided security to various bars in the area when I was younger, traditional practice of aikido techniques DO NOT prepare the student for the time when they may need to use this on the street.

Let us take the traditional yokomenuchi sankyo attack.
When I see traditional aikidoists practice this technique I have to laugh. No one throws a punch at you from 5 feet away. No one waits on the street for you to "blend" with his energy. This belief is incorrect. However, the new student to a traditional aikido dojo is led in many instances to believe this to be true.

My Sensei is too humble and kind to come out and defend himself. Not being one to be shy about my opinions, I will say this: Anyone who criticizes a man who has been practicing martial arts for well over 45 YEARS, and is highly regarded by the big names in the industry including, just to name a few, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (you guys might have heard of him), Gene Labelle (you might also have heard of him) and was a good friend to Ed Parker before he passed on (you might also have heard of him) is quite frankly an idiot.

Sensei Liedke has modified traditional aikido and made it into a system that is street applicable. How else could he go to karate seminars and humble the biggest, baddest black belt there? How is it that he gains instant respect from his peers? How is it that we have a number of New Haven cops who battle test these techniques daily with success?

Mr. Liberti, I think this pathetic "fundamentalist" approach that martial artists, especially aikidoists have when comparing practitioners between "pure" and "unpure" is a waste of time and energy. The only thing that matters to me is that I now have a self-defense system that allows me NOT TO RESOLVE CONFLICTS IN A VIOLENT FASHION. I would not have that confidence going to Aikikai or a traditional school.

Now that I'm done ranting, I will conclude with this comment. I am not dissing a practitioner of traditional aikido if that is what they enjoy doing. The implementation of an activity that improves a person is a noble goal. However, traditional aikido has been billed as a martial art. The sad state of affairs is that the martial portion has been removed. All that is left are the coordinational exercises (E.G. JUI-NAGE, IRIMINAGE) and pretty throws for the cameras which are billed by people who have not even a quarter of the experience my Sensei has as self-defense techniques.

I LOVE AND RESPECT my Sensei greatly. He is a MASTER martial artist and a resource which is in short supply in this country. Any attack on his system is an attack to my work ethic, which I take personally. The lesson to be learned my friends is this: If you have no idea what you are talking about, keep your mouth shut or look like a fool.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #61
kung fu hamster

Hello Mr. Lambert,
How very interesting to hear your side, I'm so glad you joined the discussion to defend your sensei. I'm wondering, would you say that you are a fairly typical example of one of his senior students? I mean, being bad-ass and all. Just curious.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:49 AM   #62
sunny liberti

Dojo: Shobu Aikido
United_States

Quote:
The lesson to be learned my friends is this: If you have no idea what you are talking about, keep your mouth shut or look like a fool.
Agreed.

Sunny

A brave man dies once; cowards are always dying." --Moanahonga, Ioway

Old 12-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #63
rob_liberti
United_States

Brian,

If his ability satisfies your definition of his 7th degree blackbelt in samuri jujitsu then by all means continue to train there. However, the topic at hand is the source of his "aikido" rank. Please name a few "big names" who actually study aikido that respect his aikido.

Being a liar about aikido experience for "over 45 YEARS" is nothing to be proud of...

Rob

Old 12-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #64
akiy

Hi folks,

I think this discussion has gone far enough. Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread