Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-15-2002, 03:34 AM   #1
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
A Latvian multimedia clip-thing

Hello everyone...

I don't know if this is the right section for the information but most of the ppl read the "general" the most so...

http://
aikido.interaction.lv/video/AIKIDO110.wmv

This is a demo video clip from the senseis who are considered the best in baltics by many. The file is approximately 12,5 MB and needs to be renamed to a .mpg type of file.

Why I'm giving a link of this?

Because in my humble opinion this is the best Aikido overview video I have found in the net. When one of my friends asks me what is Aikido like? Then I no longer try to explain it but give this link and then explain afterwards (NO this falling does NOT hurt, YES they HAVE to jump in this way or their hands would be broken and it wouldn't look that beautiful, YES it works)

I think it't an exellent demonstration by Latvians (2 sandan brothers as I know it) and is an interesting clip to those who are yet beginners - to see what Aikido is about and as well to teachers across the world to see how it is done in such a small place as Latvia.

Opinions welcome...

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Riveta Sportsclub

P.S. Their homepage address is
aikido.yo.lv but it's throughoutly in Latvian
Old 04-15-2002, 05:06 PM   #2
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Video clips

Except for being on the mat, that is about the only way to get a sense of how Aikido practice works.

I usually tell people I spend my time falling down and getting up sober while trying to get the hell out of someones way ....

When that doesn't work ... we go to the film clip.

Hey, there are a few downloadable clips on the Aikido FAQ, is that where you got them? If not, check them out too.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:21 PM   #3
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Aikido video clips

This is a good source for video clips all over the internet. I came across this website, and was shocked to see that a link to my dojo's website is on there too.

http://yoav.8m.net/AikidoVideoLinks.htm
Old 04-16-2002, 05:10 AM   #4
Jorx
Estonia
Nice points Bruce. And very true. Anyway some ppl are just interested not wanting to come to the mat...

What I wanted to point out that is is imho the best and most beautiful REVIEW clip I've found on the net.
Of course there are many videos in the net (good ones in AikidoFAQ) BUT they tend to be
a) very small/short/low quality clips
b) seminar clips
c) descriptions of techniques

Which all can be VERY beneficial for someone who already does Aikido BUT does not give quite a decent picture to someone who does not. (Unless he is willing to download 10 clips and/or to put his nose against the screen to see anything)

What about the style in those clips? Anything odd comparing to what you do in your dojos?

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Rivet Sportsclub

P.S. Sarah - the link you pointed out sure has some nice thumbnails but i wasn't able to download any clips
Old 04-16-2002, 06:05 AM   #5
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorx
Sarah - the link you pointed out sure has some nice thumbnails but i wasn't able to download any clips
I just went to check this out, and the server is down for maintenance, so there might have been a problem. I have a problem with your link too. Whenever I try to get it to play, my connection fails and I have to sign on again. Believe me no one's computer screws up more than mine.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:27 AM   #6
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
Hey, that's a really good clip Jorx!!

The only "odd" thing I might point out would be how he was holding on to Uke a lot between throws and next attacks, but "odd" may be harsh. It's just different. Other than that, it was very entertaining and actually further inspires me to become even more dedicated than I am already. I also agree that there is a serious lack of quality aikido clips out there on the net, regardless of their purpose.

Sarah, I'm having the same problems with that link you posted. Hopefully they'll fix the problem soon.

C. Martin

Old 04-17-2002, 05:12 AM   #7
Jorx
Estonia
Quote:
The only "odd" thing I might point out would be how he was holding on to Uke a lot between throws and next attacks,

Sceptoor - that's interesting
Btw - most of the Estonian senseis are doing this. It's supposed to be maintaining control over the uke and waiting "passively" for him to make a move... either to stand up pull the arm or whatever. So we are taught this way that sometimes it's good to maintain touch with uke... I do it sometimes... it's so fun to say: "Now try to get up!" (wham)

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Riveta Sportsclub