Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #26
Short_Stack
United_States
Re: Throwing Spikes?

I was not trying to offend anyone i was just curious, i just started aikido. I was allways into martail art i took TKD fro about 2 years i allways liked throwing stars and and throwing knives and throwing spikes now i will get to learn the proper names and the proper form thanks for your guys help but i got one more question are the bo-shuriken suppost to rotate like a throwing knife? thanks in advanced
Old 03-28-2005, 08:19 AM   #27
Tim Gerrard

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai - Durham
United Kingdom

Quote:
Randy Houck wrote:
I was not trying to offend anyone
I wouldn't worry mate, that guy's not cooked his snakes properly.

Aikido doesn't work? My Aikido works, what on earth are you practicing?!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #28
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Throwing Spikes?

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
A friend of mine who recently returned from being an uchideshi at Iwama said that he was taught shurikenjutsu (using the spike type shuriken) from Saito sensei (both the late Morihiro Saito sensei as well as Hitohiro Saito sensei). It's not a "regular" part of practice, but it hasn't been discontinued, per se.

-- Jun
I'm not sure but some of you may have heard of Patricia Hendricks sensei. She trained under Saito Sensei and practices Iwama style Aikido. She Has a bag of suriken even though i've never seen her throw them. There are however telltale holes in the wall behind a target with some pretty big holes in it...btw sensei will be appearing at aiki expo this year and it really is amazing to take ukemi for her...or just watch for that matter. You should try it.

Last edited by samurai_kenshin : 04-05-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
Old 04-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #29
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
David Olavarrķa wrote:
[
PS: In the 1860's & 70's the Shinobi were use as special police in Tokyo... some of their tactics were also used against U.S. Troops on the pacific campaign on W.W.II and also some of their methods were allegedly assimilated by the S.S. and after the war implemented around Africa by The British S.A.S who by the way where the Forefathers of U.S. Units like DELTA;....These same tactics are the ones that are helping the members of the U.S.S.F win the battles against the Taliban and are still use by any C.T teams around the world TODAY. Expl. Seal Team Six, Delta, G.S.G-9, Green Berets ext. So what has your Martial Art have been doing lately................
Actualy Aikido is practice is required for all officers in the Oakland, Ca police department so actually my martial arts has been doing alot lately.

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #30
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
James Matarrese wrote:
Actualy Aikido is practice is required for all officers in the Oakland, Ca police department so actually my martial arts has been doing alot lately.
James,

Olavarrķa hasn't been posting here since December or so. He buzzed in, stirred up a lot of smoke and disappeared (in true ninja fashion, I suppose).

He threw out a lot of martial myth, made some sort-of threats, tooted his own horn quite loudly and generally made himself sort of annoying in a twisted and amusing way.

He knew a little about some things, but not much about the bigger picture(s).

Chuck

Old 04-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #31
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
James Matarrese wrote:
Wouldn't they benefit more from something like Krav Maga?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 AM   #32
Short_Stack
United_States

what would be a good metal for make bo-shuriken (the throwing spikes). you know metal that is strong, and cheap(not alot of money)? what would you guys recommend
Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 AM   #33
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Randy Houck wrote:
what would be a good metal for make bo-shuriken (the throwing spikes). you know metal that is strong, and cheap(not alot of money)? what would you guys recommend
Scrap steel, iron maybe. Nothing fancy. Need the weight more than actual tensile strength. Unless you want more art tha functionality, then the sky's the limit..

I know some folks who got their hands on a bunch of broken epees from their local fencing club, spent a little time with tin shears and files and had some very nifty shuriken ...

Chuck

Old 04-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #34
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Wouldn't they benefit more from something like Krav Maga?
I thikn they chose aikido for the joint immobilixation techniques. One officer (my cousin) was already a nidan in Iwama style so he headed a class and he was who got me interested.

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #35
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Truth be told, most LEOs will benefit from almost ANY institutionalized course of instruction in personal combatives. They simply are not given enough tools with which to deal with troublesome situations. More time is spent teaching firearms than non-lethal, and it's sad.

Chuck

Old 04-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #36
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
James Matarrese wrote:
I thikn they chose aikido for the joint immobilixation techniques. One officer (my cousin) was already a nidan in Iwama style so he headed a class and he was who got me interested.
Krav Maga has joint immobilization techniques I believe. I'd suggest Brazilian Jiujutsu if thats what you're aiming towards though.

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
Truth be told, most LEOs will benefit from almost ANY institutionalized course of instruction in personal combatives. They simply are not given enough tools with which to deal with troublesome situations. More time is spent teaching firearms than non-lethal, and it's sad.

Chuck
I still suggest BJJ or something :P Just to add to the Aikido.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #37
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Krav Maga has joint immobilization techniques I believe. I'd suggest Brazilian Jiujutsu if thats what you're aiming towards though.

I still suggest BJJ or something :P Just to add to the Aikido.
Brazilian martial arts aren't my thing. I chose Aikido because I thought I could benefit from both the physical and mental sides of it. all the way baby!

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #38
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
James,

Olavarrķa hasn't been posting here since December or so. He buzzed in, stirred up a lot of smoke and disappeared (in true ninja fashion, I suppose).

He threw out a lot of martial myth, made some sort-of threats, tooted his own horn quite loudly and generally made himself sort of annoying in a twisted and amusing way.

He knew a little about some things, but not much about the bigger picture(s).

Chuck
No offense to him but his IQ seems to be the same number as the people living on the moon right now

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #39
Charles

I just saw the movie "SIn City". There's a really nice application of a suriken.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 AM   #40
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
James Matarrese wrote:
Brazilian martial arts aren't my thing. I chose Aikido because I thought I could benefit from both the physical and mental sides of it. all the way baby!
Whatever you say.

I suggest you at least look into it. It might be worth your time. The Army thought so.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:00 AM   #41
Short_Stack
United_States

i just though what would make great throwing spikes tent stakes (Coleman 10" Tent Stakes) you can get 4 of them for only like $2 or $3. just hope they are strong enough
Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #42
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Whatever you say.

I suggest you at least look into it. It might be worth your time. The Army thought so.
I may, but Japanese martial arts seem more appealing to me (for reasons unknown)

- forever!

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #43
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
Randy Houck wrote:
i just though what would make great throwing spikes tent stakes (Coleman 10" Tent Stakes) you can get 4 of them for only like $2 or $3. just hope they are strong enough
I swear i read somewhere shuriken are generally only about 4 inches long...
-

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #44
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

I scanned the earlier posts and didn't see this question, so forgive me if it's repeated, but is there any particular reason the spikes were/are part of some aikido training? Just an additional skill some sensei had, so sometimes they incorporated it?
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #45
jester

United_States

http://www.robertg.com/masakiryu.htm

has good history and info about Shuriken. Robert's dad wrote a book called Spike and Chain, and had a really good collection of weapons.

Anyone here throw knives? If so there's a big competition next weekend in Oklahoma. I hear ESPN will cover part of it.

Also, I am the founder of the Houston Area Knife Stickers HAKS, and if you need any info on custom throwing knives, targets, rules etc. let me know and I'll send you some good links.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #46
Ibaraki Bryan

Dojo: Iwama Shinshin Aiki Shuren Juku
Japan
Thumbs down Re: Throwing Spikes?

Shuriken are a regular part of morning bukiwaza at Saito Hitohiro Soke's dojo. One hour of ken or jo and a few minutes of shuriken "suburi" then 30 minutes of shuriken. I had my first shuriken practice today in months -- just started going back to morning keiko... it's so easy to get out of practice with shuriken!

As to 'why' -- the style of shuriken Hitohiro Sensei practices has a throwing motion very similar to 1st ken suburi strike and we concentrate on putting hips into the movement and controlling the strike -- cutting straight down the center.

Last edited by Ibaraki Bryan : 04-07-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #47
Short_Stack
United_States

they are usually 6 inches long but the smaller they are the harder it is to throw them from a far distance.

http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/index1.htm
i have read from a couple of sites that 8" is one of the best lengths but dont go over 14".
http://www.throwzini.com/joe_a_spikes.html
i think that bo shurikens are better than shuriken (stars) or throwing knives
you can throw them just as far as a knive or star (still hitting the target) easier to hide without stabbing/cutting yourself, and they just look sweet in the air but thats my opinion
Old 04-08-2005, 12:50 AM   #48
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/index1.htm for more info about shuriken-training in Iwama.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:53 AM   #49
samurai_kenshin

United_States

Quote:
Randy Houck wrote:
they are usually 6 inches long but the smaller they are the harder it is to throw them from a far distance.

http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/index1.htm
i have read from a couple of sites that 8" is one of the best lengths but dont go over 14".
http://www.throwzini.com/joe_a_spikes.html
i think that bo shurikens are better than shuriken (stars) or throwing knives
you can throw them just as far as a knive or star (still hitting the target) easier to hide without stabbing/cutting yourself, and they just look sweet in the air but thats my opinion
I'll have to agree they do look good when flying!
forever!

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #50
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
James Matarrese wrote:
I may, but Japanese martial arts seem more appealing to me (for reasons unknown)

- forever!
BJJ is just modified Japanese Jujutsu. You wear Gi's and all during training. I bid you to at least check it out.