Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
wxyzabc
England
Wrist pain

Seems that recently I have started to develop pain in my wrists that becomes very apparant if I try to stretch them (slight pain/ache) or practise a technique that works against the wrist (then a sharp pain).

I dont practice that much..about 3 times a week.

Can anyone suggest anything that could help either strengthen my wrists or lessen the pain.

Although I reckon a rest might be in order, I dont want to have to take an extended break unless I really need to.....any suggestions anyone?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Wrist pain

Quote:
Lee Price wrote:
Seems that recently I have started to develop pain in my wrists that becomes very apparant if I try to stretch them (slight pain/ache) or practise a technique that works against the wrist (then a sharp pain).

I dont practice that much..about 3 times a week.

Can anyone suggest anything that could help either strengthen my wrists or lessen the pain.

Although I reckon a rest might be in order, I dont want to have to take an extended break unless I really need to.....any suggestions anyone?
It sounds as if you are at the beginning stages of a repetitive stress injury. There is a homeopathic which ofetn helps called "ruta graveolens". It is specific to connective tissue and might help. We have used it at the dojo for years with good effect.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 06-30-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Lee,

I don't know how long you have been training, could just be the body getting used to things? Could be that you had some strong techniques applied and you have a sprain or strain of some sort, or it could be as George suggests, the start of a repetitive stress injury.

I agree with George on the Ruta Grav, I use a formulated cream version of it (http://www.nelsonshomoeopathy.co.uk/...91765233.shtml) in conjunction with tablets (http://www.nelsonshomoeopathy.co.uk/...92110262.shtml).

Where abouts in Japan are you?

regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
Larry John
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia

Lee,

The wrist is a very complex joint, and you use them an awful lot in daily life.

Before you start any treatment beyond rest and ice, you might be wise to have your regular doctor order an MRI and refer you to a hand surgeon who will have a good shot at determining what's happening medically.

Best of luck!

Larry
Old 06-30-2004, 06:42 AM   #5
Geoff Flather
Dojo: Life Centre, Exeter, Devon
Smile Re: Wrist pain

Hi Lee,

You have already received good advice, take care we do not want you taking on Tendonitus or Tensinitus. This problem usually involves an operation to surgically pare down the tendon. When I have come across this problem previously, I have known Dr`s suggest an 18 month rest recovery program.

Proper warm up proceedures, not neccessarily vigorous, caring Nage`s, three times a week may still be too strong while your recovering, and the advice you have received from the gentlmen before me, surely can help.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Wrist problems can range from a simple mechanical joint problem to more serious problems. Tendonitis or muscle/ligament injury are the most common with our art. Stretching helps. Bracing might also be advisable (tape the wrists or use wrist brace). Have your training partners ease up or tap out earlier. Ice after training and when painful. Anti-inflammatories and analgesic creams may also give you some relief. I have not had any experience with the homeopathic remedy cited although there are many good homeopathics for such injuries. If using a cream avoid going to your eyes, especially if it has capsaicin in it. The old acronym RICE (rest, ice, compression and if swelling elevation).
Old 06-30-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States

If the traditional treatments are not working for you (heat, ice, ibuprofen, etc..) I found a great acupuncturist who did some very good things for my wrists. I recommend to all of my friends to try the magnetic wrist wraps. Yes, I know you all are going "That's crap!' 'Cuz I've posted the Magnetic Therapy thread here once before and a bunch of you raked me over the coals for it. So, unless you've tried it, don't knock it, and read you own article before you start posting them! "Inconsistent" and "Inconclusive" does not mean it's crap and doesn't work.

Best of luck Lee.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 06-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

I have occasional trouble with my wrists. Most of us need our hands to work in order to function at our workplace, so I am all for preserving this vital joint. I wear wrist braces which don't have a hard insert in them (for the comfort of my dojo friends) This signals to fellow aikidoka that this wrist is to be treated carefully, and protects it to a certain extent. The other approach I use if I am feeling good and feel the need to protect the wrist is good old "unbendable wrist" Relax, extend ki.

e ya later
Jill N.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Lloyd: I believe there are some research studies supporting medical magnets. The problem is likely they are inconsistent in results since there is not criteria developed as to when they might be effective. I have used them on my wrist with good results.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:32 PM   #10
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Lloyd McWhirt wrote:
"Inconsistent" and "Inconclusive" does not mean it's crap and doesn't work.

Best of luck Lee.

No, it just means placebo.

It just means that the body is such a wonderfully dynamic machine that a certain percentage will get better no matter what they do and
often they are doing things known to help like going easy, avoiding
movements, getting rest, etc while at the same time doing alternative things that there is scanty or no evidence for like using homeopathic cremes or acupuncture (that at it's best is just removing symptoms).

The problem is with those who don't get better when doing what amounts to nothing but letting time pass has happened. When there is a delay in diagnosis and treatment of a serious problem that the body is not able to heal by itself.

Since there has already been some good advice, no need to say more.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:05 AM   #11
wxyzabc
England

Many thanks for everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post. There`s a lot of good advice there which I will be trying. The homeopathic approach looks interesting and I will certainly be trying those magnetic bracelets....if we dont know if they work, then we dont know if they dont..so they`re good enough for me! thanks once again..
Old 07-01-2004, 02:23 AM   #12
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

actually the latest more extensive studies show that they (magnetic bracelets) don't work and there never has been any good reasons to expect that they would other than claims that don't stand up under careful scrutiny.

but some look quite stylish like the ones sold by the guy who does custom framing for me, so have fun with them, it's only your money.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
OthelloPerrello
Mexico

Meh, magnets are dubious. I mean, maybe, some people swear by them, but I really havent had any luck. In my opinion, find a good, deep massage therapist. I suggest shiatsu, kiatsu, tui na, or my personal favorite Thai massage (nuat phaen borarn thai). As far as reversing tissue/tendon strain and potentially preventing surgery, I think that is your best bet.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:27 PM   #14
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

I get a pain in both wrists if I try to do push ups or any similar open-palm pushing. This pain started about four years before I began Aikido.
A monthly adjustment by my chiropractor seems to be, slowly, bringing the bones back into alignment. I've been taking Glucosamine/chondroiten but I can't tell if it's helping. Glucosamine/chondroiten definitely helped a leg problem I had a few years ago. It's relatively cheap so I'd give it a try if the homeopathic stuff suggested above doesn't help.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:27 PM   #15
wxyzabc
England

Hey...been a while since I posted this but thanks everyone for the replies. What I did was drop down to trainingfrom 3 times to twice a week but it still hurt.
Sensei said "always train and you will get stronger"..so I did (but was careful to point out to Uke that it hurt on certain techniques so they were a little careful)...now some 2 months later all is well...no pain at all.
I was also careul not to stretch the wrist when not training (previously I liked to stretch them every day)

Hope this may be of use to someone else sometime

Lee
Old 11-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #16
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
I get a pain in both wrists if I try to do push ups or any similar open-palm pushing. This pain started about four years before I began Aikido.
A monthly adjustment by my chiropractor seems to be, slowly, bringing the bones back into alignment. I've been taking Glucosamine/chondroiten but I can't tell if it's helping. Glucosamine/chondroiten definitely helped a leg problem I had a few years ago. It's relatively cheap so I'd give it a try if the homeopathic stuff suggested above doesn't help.

Hi Dan,

You may want to consider trying Glucosamine without Chondroitin. I'm not trying to scare monger but I came across these when I was Googling on knee pain a few months back. At the time I found one report that suggests Chondroitin may not be good for the male as there is a link to prostate cancer. Apparently, prostate cancer cells contain chondroitin, if you have, or have had the condition, taking additional Chondroitin may give the cancer an unexpected boost.

I hasten to add that I only found the one report, I can't find it this morning to link to for you, but if you google all the words, I found a couple more that mention the report and that it needs further investigation.

Personally, I'm not aware that I have the condition but it was warning enough to take Glucosamine without Chondroitin, better to be safe.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #17
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Thanks, I have both kinds of pills. I'll just use up the anti-prostate version ( just a few pills left) and switch.
I'm not too worried about chondroiten, I like living on the edge.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #18
andylucas
United_States

tape your wrist with electrical tape the smooth shiny kind not the tape you put on base ball bats, before class for a couple of weeks the tape supports your wrist just enough and electric tape won't cut off the circulation it ends up stretching by the end of class and tap early.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #19
Sue Hammerich
Dojo: Full Circle Aikido
United_States

I'd agree with posts advising rest, as well as those advising what are often referred to as "complementary alternative methods". I work as a hand therapist, and am open to any number of different treatments. That being the case, I just wish to reiterate the earlier post which said that the wrist is a complex joint. It's possible to do some damage to structures that surgery won't completely resolve.
Take care - stretch, rest it, eat right, sleep right, and yes, stand up straight. And no, I'm not anyone's Mom; posture is a significant factor in repetitive stress injuries. That's one of the things that is so great about MA.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:23 AM   #20
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Lee Price wrote:
I was also careul not to stretch the wrist when not training (previously I liked to stretch them every day)
Sounds like you might just have ben stretching them too often too much... RSI from stretching? Can happen...

kvaak
Pauliina