Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #326
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Groundwork

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I believe both Chiba and Sekiya had years of Judo expereince before starting Aikido.
Dear Demetrio,
Just like myself.I did Judo for 13Ii4 years prior to Aikido. I met many famous judoka such as Kenshiro Abbe, Anto Geesink, Saburo Matsushita, Kisaburo Watanabe, George Kerr,.My own teacher Tam Mc Dermott in over 13 years despite being 90 % disabled in the time I saw him he was never thrown by anyone.He was a student of T.Kawamura , a very famous Kodokan teacher.It was due to my encounter with Kenshiro Abbe I took up Aikido.Abbe Sensei was a legend.One of the few men to beat Kimura.My main influence [as if you have not figured out ] in Aikido was Chiba Sensei.Sensei still remains in my mind one of the greatest Aikidoka ever.Sadly missed I also learned a lot fromSekiya Sensei.I also miss him very much..Cheers, Joe.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #327
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Joe

Would you say, from your experience, there is a significant difference between Aikido people with serious Judo background and the ones whithout it?

Regards.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #328
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Joe

Would you say, from your experience, there is a significant difference between Aikido people with serious Judo background and the ones whithout it?

Regards.
Dear Demetrio, An interesting question.Generally I find Judo guys physically more powerful in terms of strength.The maai in Aikido is also different inasmuch a judoka prefers close quarters maai and likes to grip the gi [usually in a manner akin to King Kong].of his opponent.They also stand in the basic shizentai posture rather than hamni.At the same time many judo ka have moved from judo to aikido and have been quite successful.Chiba Sensei /Kanai Sensei come to mind here as well as teachers such as Kenshiro Abbe..Even Anton Geesink had some knowledge of Aikido.I think [and I may be wrong here]the students who have serious Judo experience have a distinct advantage ,Its just that I think that having been used to grappling /arm locks, strangulations , groundwork an
experinced judoka is a tad more battle hardened than a non judo aikidoka,Once again its all about the person not what he /she does.I know and have trained with pretty tough cookies who have not done.Perhaps other contributors here on the foum would care to enter the debate?Cue in Henry Ellis???? cheers, Joe.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #329
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: NHB Fighting and Aikido

Judo players have *awesome* balance.

Greg Jennings