Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2001, 04:03 PM   #76
Anubis Gohan
Dojo: looking
Square Is Still Thinking I am right

I i have found something that will help my side of the argeument i found in the book i got my quote frome in the kung-foo section a master of the art used chi to deflect enemyes without even moveing and these people where flying back
-Brad Cook

"Do Not despise the snake for it has no horns for one day it may become a dragon"
-Some Book I Found In The Libary
Old 04-19-2001, 04:14 PM   #77
Anubis Gohan
Square To reply

Although i am stil young i(and this will probaly seem strange)have Tk and their is a tk technique called an energy ball or geinki damma and people have done it i have experinced it myself i have bheen training in tk since i think i was four and it is all about the collection of energy and the abbilty to realice it and it just take a higher ammount of ki than any of you have ever dreamed of thats all
-Brad Cook
i have another quote
"Nothing is to be feard olny to be understood"

"Do Not despise the snake for it has no horns for one day it may become a dragon"
Old 04-20-2001, 03:56 PM   #78
Nick
United_States
Re: To reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis Gohan
Although i am stil young i(and this will probaly seem strange)have Tk and their is a tk technique called an energy ball or geinki damma and people have done it i have experinced it myself i have bheen training in tk since i think i was four and it is all about the collection of energy and the abbilty to realice it and it just take a higher ammount of ki than any of you have ever dreamed of thats all
-Brad Cook
i have another quote
"Nothing is to be feard olny to be understood"
No one else came up to bat on this one, so I guess I will...

First, how young is the "young" that are referring to? Compared to my parents, I'm young. Compared to my grandparents, my parents are young. So some clarification would be nice.

By "tk" you either mean two thirds of tae kwon do, or you are abbreviating telekenesis. Is this "Geinki Damma" Japanese (if so, any kind of translation evades me) or the Anubisian language known only to you?

As far as the book in the "kung- foo" section... I've seen things like those. Saying that by reading their book you can "become invincible" and "change your life"... products of the American "quick-fix" routine. Anything of that nature, if it exists, would be not found in and could not be realized from a book. Also, you seem to know how to "increase ki drmaticly" with your "tk"-- so then why did you ask?
To get attention?

I'm off to go watch a real life documentary about dodging bullets and bending spoons... it's called "The Matrix"... should be interesting...

Nick
Old 04-20-2001, 04:14 PM   #79
Jim23
Re: To reply

Quote:
i have bheen training in tk since i think i was four and it is all about the collection of energy and the abbilty to realice it
Rooiigghhtt!

You were training since you were four? I think I started at six months.

My son just dug out his old Streetfighter game to play with a friend (really) and guess what I saw? Exactly what Anubis was talking about.

Nick, I think he's around your age.

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 04-21-2001, 02:50 PM   #80
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Ki Symbol magical weapons

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim23

...My son just dug out his old Streetfighter game to play with a friend (really) and guess what I saw? Exactly what Anubis was talking about....

Jim23
Several years ago, when Jackie Chan wasn't a commercial property, I saw one of his films at the Chicago Art Institute. The guest speaker was a Chinese-American Kung Fu practitioner, who had appeared in the film.

He was also a live-model for one of the Streetfighter characters. They videotaped his moves to incorporate them with his character into the game. At one point, he was told that the character needed a magical weapon. He told them, "Well, I could do this (taking a posture of holding an imaginary ball in front of his stomach) and you could create a fireball to throw at my enemies.

I know this isn't as occult or exotic as most would like to believe, but this is how things are really done. Talking about Ki is just one way of thinking. There are also other ways.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 04-24-2001, 09:40 AM   #81
Anubis Gohan
It is not from street fighter

Geinki- Damma= Spiri bomb yes it is named after the dbz technique but i didnt name it i ma not talking about street fighter i have olny played that game about twice in my life i ment TK. as in the adveration of Teleknesis i have bhen training since i was younger and i was born with a high leavel of Esp
-Brad Cook
7 Dan
"Just because people no longer apply mystical powers to things dosent mean they dont exist"

Old 04-24-2001, 09:43 AM   #82
Anubis Gohan
young meaning young in this country standers and its Japanese

Old 04-24-2001, 09:50 AM   #83
NYFE Man
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
Thumbs up Brad Cook, 7th Dan?

Quote:

-Brad Cook
7 Dan
OK, now I am starting to get skeptical...

Al Foote III
Old 04-24-2001, 11:34 AM   #84
Jim23
Told ya,

He's a kid who's legging our pull (or a 7th dan who's legging our pull -- and I didn't see his name in Kami's list).

Pull ... pull, ... p-u-s-h.

Jim23

Old 04-24-2001, 12:54 PM   #85
Nick
United_States
Quote:
young meaning young in this country standers and its Japanese
Young in what country's standard? Your age is Japanese? Huh?

The whole "7 dan" thing is enough to take me from the "kinda skeptic" to the "totally non-believing" list. He lost whatever credibility he had by the fact that he can't even spell telekenesis...

Brad, say hi to your Sayan friends for me, k?

Nick
Old 04-24-2001, 01:06 PM   #86
Nick
United_States
whoops, it's actually spelled telekinesis... glad I'm not calling myself a 7th dan!

Nick
Old 04-24-2001, 02:12 PM   #87
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
A 13 year old 7th dan?????????

Yeah right ROTFLMAO

Anne Marie Giri

Old 04-24-2001, 02:56 PM   #88
CZR
Nice save Nick... I was about to hand you a 7th dan certificate and a dictionary for our young friend.

Brad,

In all seriousness, you are young and will learn sooner or later that we are defined by actions and not words. Set aside whatever you think is possible with ki; those are just ideas and shared words within your mind. Start from the very beginning, a new beginning if you wish, where you will define and judge yourself by your actions. Take the advice given to you on this site and take action to learn from what people are telling you; experience ki slowly and honestly. Then, when you have performed, taken action, as a student, judge for yourself the possibilities of ki. Ending this very much needless debate for yourself.

I am reminded of a very important story; one of the few that sticks out in my mind as one we can all keep and learn from; one of the few stories that has really shaped my experience with ki and martial arts: A Japanese Zen master received a universtity professor who cam to inquire about Zen. After some time talking, it became obvious to the master that the professor was less interested in learning about Zen and more so in impressing the master with his own knowledge. The master listened to the professor and eventually suggested they have some tea. The master starts to pour the visitor's cup. The master pours until the cup is full and then continues to pour as the tea spills over onto the table and then the floor. The professor seeing this finally cries out "The cup is full! No more will go in." The master replies, "Like this cup, you are full of your own ideas. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Brad, this story applies to many of us; all of us at one point in time. You are young and, like many of your peers, prone to very noble misguidances. Let me tell this not only to you, but also to all whom you represent: Your cup is small and very easily filled. Remember that; focus your energy on keeping it empty enough to drink tea with the masters.

Best wishes in your future training.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:49 AM   #89
Anubis Gohan
I am not insubordinate

I am not in japan i am young in the usa standerds i am a 7dan just not in aikido.
and stop makeing incoherent comments realateing me to the popular action cartoon Dragon Ball Z
i just type to fast i am not a bad speller and the idea you have about the "FIreball" thing is wrong it is just a concentration of your energy in one place
-Brad Cook

Old 04-25-2001, 10:09 AM   #90
Moomin
Dojo: Bradford
Could you train your ki to help you proof read?

Thanks

Greg
The tiger who hunts for men may be plump,
But he still pounces
Old 04-25-2001, 12:02 PM   #91
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Dragging this back to Aikido from fantasy land.

At the now famous Aikido-L seminar in Japan one of the participants was Ki society. For those that don't know me I come from the "we don't need no stinking Ki" camp. The lady was teaching us unbendable arm and unliftable body and of course that was what we were there for - to be exposed to things we don't normally see or do.

The unbendable arm really did not impress but during unliftable body my sempai broke out into a huge grin and pointed out the similarity to a basic exercise that is done each and every time at Honbu. Until that time I had never made the connection to Ki for anything we do. That moment left a lasting impression on me. I still "don't need no stinking Ki" but a rose by any other name.

O'Usagi
8th Dan

Old 04-25-2001, 12:45 PM   #92
Nick
United_States
Re: I am not insubordinate

Quote:
I am not in japan i am young in the usa standerds i am a 7dan just not in aikido.
and stop makeing incoherent comments realateing me to the popular action cartoon Dragon Ball Z
i just type to fast i am not a bad speller and the idea you have about the "FIreball" thing is wrong it is just a concentration of your energy in one place
-Brad Cook
Ok-- as far as age, this makes about as much sense as the rest of your argument. I am 14 years old. I am considered young by "US standards". However, my 18 year old brother is also considered young...

Well, the reason we keep relating you to Dragon Ball Z:

1. You admit that your mystical magical ki technique matches one used in Dragonball Z, which is (surprise surprise) a fireball.

2. Your user name has "Gohan" in it, a main character in DBZ.

3. You match the kind of thinking that many people I know have, that if they go off and train with some mountain mystic that they can how to become an amazing invincible warrior.

4. You call yourself a 7-dan, no explanation needed.

Nick
Old 04-25-2001, 01:02 PM   #93
CZR
back to ki

I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but the subject matter refers to training of ki, implicitly accepting its existence and relation to people's actions. Perhaps we would be best to save the debate about what ki is and whether or not it is for some other time. And I'll even say that we could throw in there aspects of what you can do with it once you have trained it.

And thus moving on to my point addressing the issue at hand... I once heard the expression of ki described as the union of the mind, body, and spirit. Though not profound in and of itself, one can infer from the statement that we train ki in any action to which we devote all of our being. I generalize this in an effort to include non-martial artists who I have noticed have a very intricate understanding of what I would refer to as ki.

A problem in training ki as I have noticed is not an understanding of this condition, but an awareness of it. Thus methods not unlike meditation, which expand awareness, are utilized at length in the training. I would argue that the mistake of the novice would be to train ki on a microcosmic level when in fact it is a larger idea. Keep an open mind; an empty cup, if you read my last reply.

Food for thought. Enjoy!
Old 04-25-2001, 01:39 PM   #94
Sid
Re: back to ki

Hi Guys. I have followed this thread with great interest!!!

Ok, Anubis - One ahs to separate fantasy from reality - just because some script writer imagines a fire ball (that is based on A interpretation of ki) that can be used by a martial artist, it doesn't mean it is possible.

Next - Have you ever been in a martial arts dojo/cwoon? If you have, you'll notice that the sensei/sifu does NOT fly around shooting mystical fire balls at his students. In martial arts in general and aikido in particular - its not the high flying stunts that are truly amazing - it's the subtle touch of a master!

Ok - 7th dan!! In what? What authority(martial arts or japanese flower arranging) awarded that lofty rank to you? (other than yourself).

The topic about how does one train one's ki -

1) Accept that your not gonna be levitating and blasting opponents with ki anytime soon.
2) Start a ki discipline such as Chi Kung(Qi Gong), tai chi, reiki or aikido!!!

"Incoherent" relations to DBZ? Cmon - I don't think anyone here has every claimed to be able to shoot fire balls - even in jest!!

Lastly, I am not some "old guy" talking rubbish - Im 16!

Sid

Old 04-25-2001, 02:09 PM   #95
Brian
Lightbulb *click!*

I have an idea. Let's postpone this argument for, say, around 5 to 10 years.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:30 PM   #96
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Western vs Easter Philosophy

In the East a 16 year old listens to a 60 year old talk about life.

In the West a 16 year old tells a 60 year old what life is all about.

O'Usagi
8th Dan
Old 04-25-2001, 02:45 PM   #97
Nick
United_States
ki like water?

Well put, Peter...

The analogy has been made for unbendable arm for us to think of our arm like a hose shooting out water. I've been thinking recently, and I've wondered if perhaps Ki could be thought of like water. It is in us, makes up all living things, without it we would die. However, it can also be used for destructive purposes. Just look at the flooding in the midwest, or think of how much it hurt when someone shot you up close with a really powerful water gun (I guess that would apply to the younger crowd).

Just a few thoughts I'd like to share (and perhaps to bring this thread somewhat back on-topic?)

Nick
Old 04-25-2001, 11:27 PM   #98
Jim23
I am not surprised (but I am amazed) that this thread has gone on for so long. This rates , in my opinion, as the most stupid thread that i've ever seen. And we keep responding! (damn it, I just responded).

I wuold like to kno, what ki iss. Cann i shott the biig fire boll intwo the sky? It loooks lyke fyreworkz over my hed. My freind Dan is the seventh sun in is fambily.

Really.

Time to exit, stage left.

Jim23

Old 04-26-2001, 04:42 PM   #99
Horus
he's right were all wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick
So then why do you continue to come if you're right and we're all wrong?

Also, George Lucas has said in many interviews that "The Force" was based off of the Eastern philosophy of ki/chi/prana, and thought this isn't verified, I believe he practiced aikido for a little bit.

I'm not ruling it out, because I believe that nothing is impossible... I just think it's extremely unlikely...

Nick

it is possible for him to be right and you people to be wrong i'm with his idea.
Old 04-26-2001, 04:47 PM   #100
Horus
Re: Re: To reply

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick

No one else came up to bat on this one, so I guess I will...

First, how young is the "young" that are referring to? Compared to my parents, I'm young. Compared to my grandparents, my parents are young. So some clarification would be nice.

By "tk" you either mean two thirds of tae kwon do, or you are abbreviating telekenesis. Is this "Geinki Damma" Japanese (if so, any kind of translation evades me) or the Anubisian language known only to you?

As far as the book in the "kung- foo" section... I've seen things like those. Saying that by reading their book you can "become invincible" and "change your life"... products of the American "quick-fix" routine. Anything of that nature, if it exists, would be not found in and could not be realized from a book. Also, you seem to know how to "increase ki drmaticly" with your "tk"-- so then why did you ask?
To get attention?

I'm off to go watch a real life documentary about dodging bullets and bending spoons... it's called "The Matrix"... should be interesting...

Nick
i'm a ki-aholic myself the more ki the marrier. i believe that everything is possible through the will of one. i hate skeptics