Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #51
thomas_dixon
United_States
Re: Kenbudo vs. Kali vs. European edged arts

Quote:
Bruce Hammell wrote:
as for our filipino friend with his short sticks-I suspect he could wail away on cyrano's lighter weapon, however a heavy weapon like a claidghmhor or flambarge-no contest, the heaver weapon woud win.
In a situation where both the euro and the nihonto both have to be drawn- the katana would win hands down-no question simply because the weapon as it's drawn is in offensive mode- wheras the european weap has to be drawn out, and than readied to strike- 3 motions vs one slash.
The guy with the sticks-whould have an edge out of the box, simply because he has nothing to draw out.
--

Comments? Anyone??
--
Best
This is an old, and tiresome stereotype. FMAs are not just stick fighting. The sticks are there to represent Medium blade, or Machetes. The targets in stickfighting, and simulating the sticks as blade are very different.

Antique Visayan Machete:

Espada y Daga set:

Last edited by thomas_dixon : 01-05-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #52
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Those are some particularly wicked implements, Thomas!

I know this is twisting the thread a little, but who out there has some experience with Jutte or Sai? That is maybe closer to what I'm fishing for.

I'm trying to replace my Cold Steel S.F. shovel and M1918 Knuckle knife as melee weapons.

Last edited by Bill Danosky : 01-05-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #53
thomas_dixon
United_States

Why not just carry a knife?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #54
Bill Danosky

United_States

I do- a Benchmade "Spike". But I'd never cut anyone with it on purpose. I figure if anybody wants to knife fight with me, I'll use theirs if I need one.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #55
thomas_dixon
United_States

Have you ever sparred with small knife?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:35 PM   #56
Adramalek

Dojo: Okami Ryu Ninjutsu
Puerto Rico

Billy ... as part of our curriculum,.. . sai is teach, BUT... it can never replace a knife, I recommend for you the old British commando type....... and this is why:
1. weight-is fairly light and easily drawn
2.All (Cuchillo) drills from Kali apply,... plus since is double edge, the parry cut combinations tend to be faster than with a (Daga)
3.it's weight is well distributed,.... so is also good to practice throwing maneuvers, and we use it as part of (Shurikenjutsu) training,and for H2H students
4.it's thin blade is ideal for stabbing drills,... and we found out in Ft. Benin GA, that can easily penetrate the front and sides of the ARMY issue body armor, (Not the porcelain plate of curse)
5.is pretty concealable and hilly durable
6.if you get one with a full serrated blade,.... you are (cocking)...... ......and get one for me for Three Kings day!!!!!!!
NOW lets talk about the Jitte and the Sai: it can be thrown, if sharpen it also can be used as a good stabbing weapon, its main use is as parry, block and locking weapon,.... and its weight makes it a good hitting weapon also,....... but the speed factor is jeopardized because of its weight..... and that is one of the most decisive factors in sharp edge weapons usage,....... against a properly train knife fighter... IE: Espada y Daga, Tantojutsu, Kali and Machete, Indonesian Daggers, (Curvas) Gypsy Knife, ext. your parry or block and lock will probably come to late..... the use of these weapon was mostly, as an arresting tool,..... wile one person on the side, of the one to be arrested was telling him to drop his weapon,....... the other with Sai or Jitte, came close to the arrestee's sword side,.... to,... in case of an attempt to draw,...... catch the sword before it was completely drawn,,,,,,,, in combat,... usually it was use to assist a a fellow soldier, or master that was currently engaged........ but only in rare occasions,... used as primary weapon.
The Evil Ways Are Not Over Yet

Evil Ways Of Dave (Tha Snake)
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #57
Bill Danosky

United_States

Thomas, you mean small as in "the death of a thousand cuts" knife? I couldn't say I have actually sparred with knives, but I have done some with paint markers to simulate it. Admittedly, we were all hacks, but we did quite often use this for drills at one time.

Dave, thanks so much for your input. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I think my evil ways ARE over, though, so this is why I'm looking for more defensive weapons which hopefully can hold their own against major, offensive hand weapons.

I have been poked rather hard with a sai before and even with the blunted end it's no party. I thought that would make it or jutte a good choice for thrusting, striking and blocking/parrying. As someone has said before, I think the targets would be different in this kind of exercise- probably wrists, collar bones, pressure points, etc. Arresting is actually more in the nature of what I'm thinking of.

A retired cop I know who is now a Hapkido instructor has some good short stick manipulations that one could probably work into their Jutte repertiore. Isn't short-stick F.M.A?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #58
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Bill,

You should get a hooked cane and play with it and see what you can come up with. You can take them anywhere, even in airports, so you could always have it with you. After all, no matter how good you are with a bokken it's useless if it's not with you.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #59
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote:
Thomas, you mean small as in "the death of a thousand cuts" knife? I couldn't say I have actually sparred with knives, but I have done some with paint markers to simulate it. Admittedly, we were all hacks, but we did quite often use this for drills at one time.

Dave, thanks so much for your input. That was exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I think my evil ways ARE over, though, so this is why I'm looking for more defensive weapons which hopefully can hold their own against major, offensive hand weapons.

I have been poked rather hard with a sai before and even with the blunted end it's no party. I thought that would make it or jutte a good choice for thrusting, striking and blocking/parrying. As someone has said before, I think the targets would be different in this kind of exercise- probably wrists, collar bones, pressure points, etc. Arresting is actually more in the nature of what I'm thinking of.

A retired cop I know who is now a Hapkido instructor has some good short stick manipulations that one could probably work into their Jutte repertiore. Isn't short-stick F.M.A?
I meant, have you ever tried a knife disarm? It's pretty difficult.

I guess one would say short stick is FMA...the sticks are 24"-31" long. but we also do Jo and Staff
Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #60
Adramalek

Dojo: Okami Ryu Ninjutsu
Puerto Rico

Billy.... the small stick is called Yawara, or if it doesn't have rounded type ends,.... its usually called Yubibo or (finger stick)..... it should be 2" longer than the palm of your hand, its techniques can be used, instead than with a stick,.... an iron rod of same proportions,.. with the added bonus than when a fist is made with it, the hit fills like getting struck by a hammer..... since you know Hapkido, all moves can be reinforced by this rod,..... that can be attach to you keys, in case of travel the wooden incarnation can be used.... in case of a more aggressive approach,.... the points can be sharpen, or nails in the case of wood, can be drove in an angle,... leaving the sharp ends exposed....... the drills for yawara are similar to those of a knife,... taking in consideration the fact, that you will be using a different angle of motion, more directed at stabbing type techniques......... NOW......... about your quest of using offensive weapons, that as you said... (hopefully,... will hold their own, against major offensive ones)....... only in cases of people properly learning weapons like Jo, Bo or Hanbo,... because of the reach factor,... but smaller like Sai, Jutte or Yawara you will have to devote an incredible amount of time in practice,... and study of body motions of other styles that dealt with the most probable weapons that you may encounter... plus deep research of the most possible encounters themselves..... and even then,..... you may come up short.... so maybe a cane, will be the answer for you,... if you want to really do this defensive weapon thing... BUT still... it will be very up hill for you,... against a properly train individual, so do some research on the web under names like :
1. Robert Bussy : Hambo or Small Staff

2. Paul Vunak: Knife and Kali Sticks

3. Geijin Ryu Ninjutsu: Tactics applied to urban environment ext.

Tha Snake Hopes That Your New Approach Works

in any case move to Canada the medical plans are much better there (in case your new approach doesn't work pimp daddy) Good Luck Bill but please don't let the freaking Bride Kill You This Time Partner!!!!

Evil Ways Of Dave (Tha Snake)
Old 01-06-2005, 11:52 PM   #61
Joezer M.

Two interesting articles about Japanese vs European swordarts:
http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm
http://www.thearma.org/essays/katanavs.htm

Regards,
Joezer

I AM in shape... Round is a shape...
Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 PM   #62
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

[quote=Thomas Dixon]
Antique Visayan Machete:

Hey this looks so much like what my gardener use to clear our nearby bush? Maybe he is a top notch Kali master incognito?

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #63
thomas_dixon
United_States

[quote=Xu Wenfung]
Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Antique Visayan Machete:

Hey this looks so much like what my gardener use to clear our nearby bush? Maybe he is a top notch Kali master incognito?
Maybe. But some mass produced Machetes are made to mimic Machetes used in Southeast Asia. Like the "Bolo" Machetes you can find at Lowes, etc. are made to mimic Bolos.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #64
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
<

Not sure, but both will lose to a Mongolian mounted archer who has the accuracy to hit and speed to gallop away for second offensive or third... fourth... fifth... et cetera.

Boon.
I think the advantage for any of the these shooting arts would go to the ones used for hunting and war. The English longbowman and Mongolian archer shot at moving targets on a much more regular basis. If they missed they went hungry.
The longbow is better at distance than the Mongolian short bow so if they're standing I think the Welsh/Brits win. Even if you put the Huns on horseback they'd have a hard time getting within shooting distance, in my humble opinion.
Additionally, archers were instrumental in English victories against armored French Kaniggets. I don't think there are any equivalent Japanese archery victories like Agincourt, Poitiers or Crecy (sp?).
The English massed their archers as a separate unit. Did the Japanese?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #65
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
I think the advantage for any of the these shooting arts would go to the ones used for hunting and war. The English longbowman and Mongolian archer shot at moving targets on a much more regular basis. If they missed they went hungry.
The longbow is better at distance than the Mongolian short bow so if they're standing I think the Welsh/Brits win. Even if you put the Huns on horseback they'd have a hard time getting within shooting distance, in my humble opinion.
Additionally, archers were instrumental in English victories against armored French Kaniggets. I don't think there are any equivalent Japanese archery victories like Agincourt, Poitiers or Crecy (sp?).
The English massed their archers as a separate unit. Did the Japanese?
Yes. And it is even a martial art. The Japanese have (had) the longest long bow in the world, at 7'. Japanese archers were very skilled, because that was their life.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #66
xuzen

Malaysia

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Maybe. But some mass produced Machetes are made to mimic Machetes used in Southeast Asia. Like the "Bolo" Machetes you can find at Lowes, etc. are made to mimic Bolos.
Ah right. But then I live in South East Asia. I used to have one of the machetes that also looked like the pix above when I was in the boys scout and was she was always with me especially during my jungle hike and camping activities. It is called Parang pronunced Phar-Rang. Didn't know it was considered exotic. Sh@t, don't know where I have stored that sucker.

She was especially good for clearing a path through the thick undergrowth.

Boon.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #67
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Ah right. But then I live in South East Asia. I used to have one of the machetes that also looked like the pix above when I was in the boys scout and was she was always with me especially during my jungle hike and camping activities. It is called Parang pronunced Phar-Rang. Didn't know it was considered exotic. Sh@t, don't know where I have stored that sucker.

She was especially good for clearing a path through the thick undergrowth.

Boon.
Oh, ok then. It probably was one of those. They're nice. They can cost about $170 for a real handmade one here in the US, imported from Indonesia, etc.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #68
Bill Danosky

United_States

Man, this is some pretty good stuff, huh?

I like the cane idea. I think the late Micheal Echanis was known for his evil ways and he thought a cane was the best invention ever.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #69
thomas_dixon
United_States

get a cane with a sword in it...mwuahahaha...
Old 01-09-2005, 03:27 AM   #70
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Yes. And it is even a martial art. The Japanese have (had) the longest long bow in the world, at 7'. Japanese archers were very skilled, because that was their life.
I don't think the 7' bow was used on the battle field - those used by mounted archers were smaller. English archers did use the long bow for very good effect on the battle field.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #71
Bill Danosky

United_States

I think I'm going back to something Peter R. said about using a bokken as a bokken and not a sword.

This makes a little more sense to me having now emerged from the other end of this intellectual process. Since I am an Aikido practitioner, I'm often using a bokken and virtually never a live blade. I see how this eliminates the danger of katana-related accidents OR intentional injuries.

As we frequently practice jo and bokken, I can apply some jo techniques to the bokken and probably have some very serviceable budo. Plus, that leaves me with plenty of application options for canes, sticks, mop handles and whatever kinds of improvised weaponry are around.

Now I have to practice that with some of you Kali, Fencing and Kendo guys (and gals, of course) to make sure I'm getting my reality checked. I'm sure that will give me a few satora.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #72
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote:
I think I'm going back to something Peter R. said about using a bokken as a bokken and not a sword.

This makes a little more sense to me having now emerged from the other end of this intellectual process. Since I am an Aikido practitioner, I'm often using a bokken and virtually never a live blade. I see how this eliminates the danger of katana-related accidents OR intentional injuries.

As we frequently practice jo and bokken, I can apply some jo techniques to the bokken and probably have some very serviceable budo. Plus, that leaves me with plenty of application options for canes, sticks, mop handles and whatever kinds of improvised weaponry are around.

Now I have to practice that with some of you Kali, Fencing and Kendo guys (and gals, of course) to make sure I'm getting my reality checked. I'm sure that will give me a few satora.
Good idea. Take up some Blade classes, preferably something not point oriented....lol

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
I don't think the 7' bow was used on the battle field - those used by mounted archers were smaller. English archers did use the long bow for very good effect on the battle field.
Yes they were.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 AM   #73
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Yes they were.
You are right - checked last night. Forgot about the short end.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 AM   #74
xuzen

Malaysia

Dear History Buffs,

With respect to advocates of English Longbow superiority, I have some information that may dispel that notion. I got this information from Discovery channel from their "Unsolved History"segment. Specifically the program was trying to dispel the notion that it was not the English longbow that cause the defeat of the French Forces at Agincourt. And I believe they were quite convincing with their theory.

1) Some University Historian were able to measure the average force of impact of english arrow shot from the English Longbow. Then they reconstruct such force and hit them using modern calibrated machinery on armoury from that time. The force generated was not even close to piercing the french armour.

So what cause the downfall of the French Forces? They are:

a) Natural Terrain
Just prior to battle day, it rained and the ground was soaked and muddy. The English forces consisted mainly of peasants foot soldier with little armour whereas the French were out in their finest battle regalia (heavy plate armour). Hence The mobility of the French Forces were severely hampered making them sitting ducks for the swift and light english forces. The French death were just as much accredited to being trampled by their own kins when they got stuck in the mud. Some drown when their heavy armour becomes imbedded in the waterloged ground. In a sense it was their heavy armour that cause the downfall.

b) Attitude
The English were peasants footsoldier whereas the French side made up of mainly nobility. In those days, when the nobility go to war, one of their main incentive for war is to capture an enemy lord alive for ransom to enrich themselve. It must have been a dissapointment when the French find out that there were little incentive to fight for that day.

This what I remember from the program. There are more factors that caused the defeat of the French forces, but the two above is what I remembered most.

Boon.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #75
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Dear History Buffs,

With respect to advocates of English Longbow superiority, I have some information that may dispel that notion. I got this information from Discovery channel from their "Unsolved History"segment. Specifically the program was trying to dispel the notion that it was not the English longbow that cause the defeat of the French Forces at Agincourt. And I believe they were quite convincing with their theory.

1) Some University Historian were able to measure the average force of impact of english arrow shot from the English Longbow. Then they reconstruct such force and hit them using modern calibrated machinery on armoury from that time. The force generated was not even close to piercing the french armour.

So what cause the downfall of the French Forces? They are:

a) Natural Terrain
Just prior to battle day, it rained and the ground was soaked and muddy. The English forces consisted mainly of peasants foot soldier with little armour whereas the French were out in their finest battle regalia (heavy plate armour). Hence The mobility of the French Forces were severely hampered making them sitting ducks for the swift and light english forces. The French death were just as much accredited to being trampled by their own kins when they got stuck in the mud. Some drown when their heavy armour becomes imbedded in the waterloged ground. In a sense it was their heavy armour that cause the downfall.

b) Attitude
The English were peasants footsoldier whereas the French side made up of mainly nobility. In those days, when the nobility go to war, one of their main incentive for war is to capture an enemy lord alive for ransom to enrich themselve. It must have been a dissapointment when the French find out that there were little incentive to fight for that day.

This what I remember from the program. There are more factors that caused the defeat of the French forces, but the two above is what I remembered most.

Boon.
Thanks, it still makes a good story, though. The "crowd" control aspect makes a lot more sense. I do think the archers were good enough to find the chinks in armor at close range but then they could have been armed with any kind of bow.
So it's still the archer not the bow. I do know, from playing the PC gave "Medieval, Total War," they also had war hammers and short swords.

I also remember, and Shakespeare put some spin on "Henry V," the English slaughtered their French prisoners after Agincourt. In spite of the potential fortune in ransom there were so many POWs the English knew they couldn't keep them under control until ransom was paid.