Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States
Re: Something's Rank - Black Belts in Aikido

Well, I happen to know for a fact that some Korean guys with the last name of Lee invented the Camoflague rank belt for a youth student with perhaps 6 - 9 months of experience in their version of Tae Kwon Do they brought to the American content with the beginning of their Association, deciding that they could speed up the "apparent" rank progression of kids so as to salvage their attendance by the challenge of attention-deficit kiddos in the USA in the late 1980s.. So there.

LOL! Sorry. Old ATA memories. I am so glad I had ranked up so I didn't have to wear one of those things.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #27
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

And here's Part 2 of the Spanish translation of "Something’s Rank - Black Belts in Aikido", courtesy of Aikido en línea. The original English version is also available here.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #28
Chris Li

United_States

Now available in Romanian, courtesy of Daniel Forga. The original English version is available on the Aikido Sangenkai blog.

Best,

Chris

Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #29
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Rank

Quote:
David Ringle wrote: View Post
I wonder how many people would be really inclined to pursue dan rank if it came with a pink belt?

Just a thought.

Dave
Dear Dave,
i have no problems with a natty pink belt.Looks very fetching aleeong with a matching gi and hakama.
Do you not feel the Aikido community needs a bit of colour?All these dull black .navy blue hakamas and white gi is lacking in the trend setting fashion dept.Maybe someone could start up a profitable sideline/home business?O Senseis spiritual leader I believe was rather daring in his Dress code.
Cheers, Joe.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #30
Chris Li

United_States

Now available in Spanish, courtesy of Juantxo Ruiz. The original English version is available on the Aikido Sangenkai blog.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #31
MattMiddleton

Dojo: MUN Aikido
Canada

An interesting discussion! I've been thinking a lot about gradings lately, since I just did my 1st kyu test Anyhoo, here's what's been rattling around in my brain.

Gradings may have been invented for children originally, but that doesn't necessarily negate their androgogic value. The Menkyo system made a ton of sense for the environment it was in - people who were involved in a particular martial art were spending a lot of their daily life training, and the schools were generally small in comparison to the organizations we see today. It was likely that those with certificates received them directly from the current head of their art, after a relatively short but intense training period.

I suspect that many, if not most, people training in a martial art are doing so on a part-time basis - a few hours a week, maybe a bit more. Further, how many of us are likely to have been observed practicing by the Doshu for any length of time, such that he would be able to make a judgement on our skill? I suspect that number would be quite low. The Menkyo model simply wouldn't have scaled to handle the number of students, or their geographic distribution. At best, you'd have hundreds of splintered arts, probably all practicing something similar, but everyone claiming to be the head of their art.

Now, one point I do agree with is the problem of coloured belts. As someone who has yet to test for Shodan, I find it helpful not to know what grade someone is. I tend to be pretty conscious of my own biases, and I still fall in to the trap of seeing a yellow belt and thinking "this person is just starting, I know more than they do". It may be true, it may not, but it doesn't matter. - I should be there to train with them, with an empty cup as it were I'm not suggesting this isn't my own problem, but rather that having an excess of visible grade indicators could be exacerbating the problem in myself, and I suspect others as well. Most of the dojos I've been to, only use white and black belts, but a couple do use the coloured ones. That's certainly their prerogative, and I'm sure they have solid reasons for using them, it's just not my preference.

As for the tests, while I don't need them for motivation for training overall, I do find them helpful in my training. Just as we should practice both hard and soft, I think it is useful to practice with minimal pressure, as well as with a great deal of pressure, at different times. Under significant pressure, it can be difficult (if not impossible) to work on analyzing or refining a particular piece of a technique or ukemi. Likewise, one cannot know if their practice is being truly internalized without having to demonstrate it "in a pinch". Since we shouldn't be out picking fights, testing in the dojo seems like the next logical way to artificially generate this pressure.