Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #26
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: What's your martial-to-art ratio?

I kinda pictured the "Ask A Ninja guy" saying what I said.

"I look forward to taking your KI and killing you soon!"

Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #27
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I just refuse to believe art means what most martial artists think it means. I simply think it means craft, like in the art of war. Its not that there is war, and then flowery movements. Its about the craft of waging war.I think the whole art thing was really created by people who wanted to get more students with less physical contact. See 720 degree triple jump side kicks are about the art, what you guys do is just fighting ;-)

So I guess I'm 100% martial 0% art.
For me an artist in the senses we talk about is someone who is beyond being a craftsman. Martial Arts are called Arts since one has the ability of self-expression aspiring to perfection.
this phenomena of combining craft and art is not unique to the martial arts, you can also find it in many other crafts/arts such as architecture or blacksmith etc...

When one aspires to be an artist, he aspires to go beyond the level of merely performing in a perfunctory and correct way and being more, not less.

Amir
Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #28
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Sun Tzu also had the Art of War. We have the Art of Negoitiation the art of business, the art of....

Amir is correct...we take things beyond the mere nuts and bolts an put theory into action...that is what makes somethign an art.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
'Cause that's TWO hundred percent, Nathan.
I can't tell if you're being serious or just taking a shot at my own difficulty in expressing my opinion.

I'm trying to say that there is no distinction between the martial and art aspects of what we do. It's just 100% aikido.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 03-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #30
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Ha ha. I promise I was neither being serious, or taking a shot.

The point of the thread was that some Aikido styles, dojos, senseis and aikidoka are more martial than others. For the purposes of this discussion, let's define a "martial" inclination as occasionally training in techniques for use during an actual threat.

Whether the ratio is x:100 or x:200 is immaterial. What's your's?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 AM   #31
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

more martial than others. A tricky question for sure. I am reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which as been a great book to get me thinking a little differently lately.

Anyway, the author ask about Quality in the book. That is....how do you define it? How do you know when to say, "now THAT is good quality!"

Quality is a realitive term based on perception and comparision against some criteria that may or may not be firmly estalished.

As it applies to Martial arts I think it gets even stickier as it is an ART, and as such, ART is judged in the eye of the beholder, or sometimes by society at large. (There are alot of things that we are TOLD that is good art, but we ourselves cannot see it, or do not believe so).

Anyway, much of my discussion/debate with a few on aikiweb has centered around Martial Effectiveness, and what IS martial effectiveness. Why are we concerned with it in Aikido. Why does this seem to be one of the MAJOR debates and most talked about areaa surrounding aikido.

Of lately I have grown to appreciate this quote from George Patton,
"We don't need the best plan, only one that works." He refers to the fact that his staff officers would spend an inordinate amount of time trying to come up with the BEST plan, which takes much time, and time is a realitive concept which is valuable in war.

I think this applies to martial effectiveness. When we become concerned with this (being MORE Martial), we don't need to have the best or most effective strategy....but simply one that works!

So, then we get into situatiions we might be involved in, or risk we want to mitigate. If we look seriously at them, I find, at least, that empty handed martial arts are really not the most effective way, or at least not the easiest way (first choice), way to mitigate that risk.

We only need a strategy that works!

So, when we start talking MORE martial or martially effective...it begs the question in my mind....why would we waste an inordinate amount of time with things like Aikido, BJJ...or anything else???

Sure, there are particular scenarios we can practice in which things we learn in aikido and BJJ that lend to effectiveness, but I think the actual curriculum to be very, very narrow with this mindset.

Some of you (myself included), are thinking about right now....."No, you are missing the point!" we need the breadth and depth of our studies so we can have flexibility to respond appropriately and adapt to situations! Training for effectiveness hurts you because the criteria is to narrow given the parameters you may encounter in real life.

So, we are back again to a principle based study!

I think there is a mix somewhere between a principle based practices and practicing for non-compliance and effectiveness.

I think that much of what we percieve as effective or quality may or may not be the same, and we may not be looking at it correctly. I think the best way to fix this is to work with others that do not share your paradigm or training base and work through your differences together.

I think this is a challenging topic to discuss, as no two people can ever agree on effectiveness, what MORE Martial might be, or how you define quality.

I think the study of Budo to be very important to understanding human nature and it helps us understand our interactions with the world and can assist us with resolving conflict, first within ourselves, and secondly with in the world.

I think the discussions we have here in an attempt to seek a better understanding of what being martial means, and effectiveness, and quality to be very important...even though, we may never fully understand it!

Old 03-17-2007, 04:45 AM   #32
guest94283
Australia

I practice 100% Aikido.

I kinda get what you are getting at and I am probably swaying to your definition of 'art'. I like the martial part aswell though.....

I guess my original statement holds strong in the sense that I practice Aikido, I don't think about how much 'art' or 'martial' I am putting into it.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #33
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I kinda pictured the "Ask A Ninja guy" saying what I said.
"I look forward to taking your KI and killing you soon!"
"Ninjas are SWEET."

I see the "martial" as part of the "art." If you're going to practice a craft whose original intent was to subdue, control and, if necessary, maim or kill an opponent (whether on the street or battlefield, or in a royal court), then that intent and mindsest must be incorporated into training as part of the skill set.

Sort of like "method acting," if anyone is familiar with the school of drama started by actor Lee Strasburg (who believed that actors should immerse themselves completely in the characters they are playing, thus creating a believable, “real” being – The Truth).

We live in the 21st century, in which feudal combat is obsolete. Although there may be "street" applications to what we do, most MA practitioners pursue their MA for other purposes. But, we do want to remain authentic and not practice an "empty shell" art that might look impressive to outsiders, but which has no real power or actual real-life functionality.

So, if we're gonna do this, we may as well do it Authentically. Train to do what the art was created to do. If you study a combat art, it means doing it with the "intent," but without actually killing anyone. If you study Aikido, then it means doing it for the purpose Ueshiba prescribed for it, with as accurate interpretation of that as you can extract from the existing teachings and sources.

My 2 cents' worth.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #34
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
How much "martial" and how much "art" do you like in your Aikido practice? 60/40? 40/60?

What's your ratio?
Impossible for me to set a ratio.

When I am practicing, all the things I'm thinking about (tenkan here, step there, etc), could be considered "martial."

The "art" comes in unexpectedly, like a thief. Something unexpected happens, or I blend in a completely different way. A part of it also depends upon the connectedness to uke. I think of this "art" as only occurring in spontaneous moments when things "click:" i.e., what O Sensei labelled "takemusu aiki."

(please, tho: don't take this as some sort of boast that I've executed "perfect" aikido. I have a long way to go...)

But, I do belong to a dojo that stresses "art" a lot...and "martial," a little less. How that applies, I dunno.

Last edited by Neil Mick : 03-17-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #35
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Neil Mick wrote: View Post
The "art" comes in unexpectedly, like a thief. ... I think of this "art" as only occurring in spontaneous moments
That is one of the coolest things that has been said so far. A friend of mine who golfs says you really show up for those one or two perfect shots you make a day.

As I'm observing people's answers I noticed a couple of people seemed to reveal that they are unwittingly 100% art.

I think there's a danger in doing 100% one style (or 'art') in a self defense situation. One might find they are thinking about IT, instead of mushin.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 PM   #36
barry.clemons
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

United_States

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
For me an artist in the senses we talk about is someone who is beyond being a craftsman. Martial Arts are called Arts since one has the ability of self-expression aspiring to perfection.
this phenomena of combining craft and art is not unique to the martial arts, you can also find it in many other crafts/arts such as architecture or blacksmith etc...

When one aspires to be an artist, he aspires to go beyond the level of merely performing in a perfunctory and correct way and being more, not less.

Amir
I completely agree with Don and Amir.

To me, there is learning your craft and then making the craft your own; exploring beyond your textbook lessons and creating a new way of looking at what you do. Somewhat similar to your average college graduate, and a PhD.

Barry Clemons
"The virtuous man is self-sufficient and undisturbed; not a slave of circumstance or emotion" - Zeno
Old 03-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #37
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:

Amir
Almost every person who trains in martial arts seems calls themselves an artist. This is not true in pottery, guitar playing, poetry, painting, writing, etc. Only martial arts. Perhaps you are not an artist until extreme high level of skill?

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #38
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
Almost every person who trains in martial arts seems calls themselves an artist. This is not true in pottery, guitar playing, poetry, painting, writing, etc. Only martial arts. Perhaps you are not an artist until extreme high level of skill?
Most people I know here would say they practice some M.A.
Only very few would consider themselves to be martial artists, of those, most are very vain or simply ignorent of this distinction.

On the other hand, I do know a few people which are considered to be martial artists by others. Of these few, most would not consider themselves as artists or would say they still ave a lot to learn and improve.

Amir
Amir
Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #39
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Most people I know here would say they practice some M.A.
Only very few would consider themselves to be martial artists, of those, most are very vain or simply ignorent of this distinction.

On the other hand, I do know a few people which are considered to be martial artists by others. Of these few, most would not consider themselves as artists or would say they still ave a lot to learn and improve.

Amir
Amir
I guess my point was not clear. When I learned to play guitar, I took lessons, I did not take guitar artist lessons. Simply I learned to play guitar. After a few years I had skill and I made a band, My skill surpassed that of my lessons I created new original material and developed without aid of a teacher. I focused into jazz and learned even more about music. I met many different people with different ideas and takes on what music was. I jammed with them and learned their styles. I found things I liked and things I did not like.

The same was true with computer programming. I wanted to learn a skill. I bought books and read them, applied what I learned to test applications. I started with VB, moved to C, then C++, finally to perl and php where most of my career work is done today. I've read a lot of code and seen some ugly stuff and some creative work that I would indeed call art.

The martial arts it seems is different. People do not want to learn a craft and then become artists, they want to become artists. They say things like "What you are doing is taking the art out of martial arts" when you suggest more sparing and less kata. They watch MMA matches and say "There is no art in that!". What they lack is what every other craft seems to have. An appreciation for skill that is not similar to their own. I have never said to a heavy metal guitar player that playing power cords and shreading distorted solo's is not art. However, I have been told by MANY martial artists that judo and bjj are sports and NOT arts. There is simply almost no appreciation for other martial arts inside the martial arts. It seems there are just too few people who can appreciate the art found in skillful MMA fights and a wonderful kata demonstration at the same time. The martial arts are very unique in this respect.

I guess what i'm saying is that deep down inside people training in martial arts what to become martial artists. They seem to expect that they will become great by association, and assume what they are doing will indeed become art. Where as a guitar player usually starts as a kid trying to pick up a chick.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #40
barry.clemons
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

United_States

Quote:
I guess my point was not clear. When I learned to play guitar, I took lessons, I did not take guitar artist lessons. Simply I learned to play guitar. After a few years I had skill and I made a band, My skill surpassed that of my lessons I created new original material and developed without aid of a teacher. I focused into jazz and learned even more about music. I met many different people with different ideas and takes on what music was. I jammed with them and learned their styles. I found things I liked and things I did not like.

The same was true with computer programming. I wanted to learn a skill. I bought books and read them, applied what I learned to test applications. I started with VB, moved to C, then C++, finally to perl and php where most of my career work is done today. I've read a lot of code and seen some ugly stuff and some creative work that I would indeed call art.

The martial arts it seems is different. People do not want to learn a craft and then become artists, they want to become artists. They say things like "What you are doing is taking the art out of martial arts" when you suggest more sparing and less kata. They watch MMA matches and say "There is no art in that!". What they lack is what every other craft seems to have. An appreciation for skill that is not similar to their own. I have never said to a heavy metal guitar player that playing power cords and shreading distorted solo's is not art. However, I have been told by MANY martial artists that judo and bjj are sports and NOT arts. There is simply almost no appreciation for other martial arts inside the martial arts. It seems there are just too few people who can appreciate the art found in skillful MMA fights and a wonderful kata demonstration at the same time. The martial arts are very unique in this respect.

I guess what i'm saying is that deep down inside people training in martial arts what to become martial artists. They seem to expect that they will become great by association, and assume what they are doing will indeed become art. Where as a guitar player usually starts as a kid trying to pick up a chick.
Well said, Don. Although, I think you're generalizing a little.

A basketball, football, and baseball player are all athletes (martial artist), and they perfect their craft and become the best athletes they can be. Crossing them creates something new, wouldn't you agree? TKD practitioners who compete, let's say, in the Olympics. Mike Tyson. Barry Bonds. They perfect their craft and become profesisonals/authorities in it. A Mixed Martial Artist is not a boxer, or a grappler; they're creating something new. A MMA who trains to be a MMA is perfecting their craft. if we take the semantics out of it, doesn't it boil down to what you frequently say? "why do you train?"

Barry Clemons
"The virtuous man is self-sufficient and undisturbed; not a slave of circumstance or emotion" - Zeno
Old 03-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #41
Cady Goldfield
United_States

You have to learn the science (the technical aspect) of a discipline before you can transcend it into art. Don's guitar example is a good one.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #42
Amir Krause
Israel

Quote:
You have never met a heavy metal player who tried to tell you how your music should sound?
I have heard many people say that some type of music or paintings are not "real" art in their minds. I see the same people in Martial Arts, it is not a single art, but seperate ones, differnt people join it for different reasons and have different goals on joining. Yet anyonw feels free to burge in and indicate his way is the only right one, be it MMA or "intenral skills" or "traditional" or "practical", whoever told you the other person is interested in the same goals as you, he may have 30 heavily armed body guards tkaing care of his security, and let him practice for his peace of mind and harmony with the world...

Personally, if you take Judo and BJJ or boxing as examples. Then I saw (mostly while seeing Judo in the olimpics by the way, I never bothered to watch competitions for long)some owesome martial art demonstarations of them, and lots and lots of medicure skill involved with lots of power. Interestingly enough, the things I would have associated with the artists of these styles are applications of the same principles I find in Aikido too.

Quote:
I suppose you do know that major painters of the past did have similar situations of many others joining their "yard" to become famous by association, this is siple human nature and I have seen it occur in many other things besides the M.A. world.