Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-30-2003, 01:48 AM   #26
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Well anonymous posted a few days ago and has not posted again. Maybe he's shihonaged himself to death already.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:24 AM   #27
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Interesting mental imagery that conjures up, how would you shionage yourself to death?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:44 PM   #28
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Interesting mental imagery that conjures up, how would you shionage yourself to death?
From what I understand a number of deaths in Aikido were from Shihonage. Not too hard to imagine doing too many, too hard and ....

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-30-2003, 07:37 PM   #29
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom
yep, but how would you perform shionage on yourself???

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:58 PM   #30
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
yep, but how would you perform shionage on yourself???
Desparation is the source of innovation - but yes I see your point.

Technically speaking all Shihonage means is a four direction throw and therefore could (and does) describe a whole range of techniques not just the classic one we tend to use. So ---- picturing some fool throwing himself into the four walls of a room.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 11-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #31
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom
It would be interesting to watch, you could place bets on which of the four corners they would die in (sorry, im very sick).

Old 11-30-2003, 09:50 PM   #32
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
You guys are mean... ;p

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 11-30-2003, 11:23 PM   #33
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: c3d292dc
Anonymous User
Some people are replying as if the first post was a joke, and some people are replying as if the first post was serious. While the serious replies might be funny to a person who posted a joke about suicide, the "haha" replies might not be funny at all to a person who wrote in seriousness about being suicidal. It is hard to say, reading that post. So...

Err on the side of caution?

And yeah, antidepressants work, at least on most people. There is no need to go around feeling like offing yourself. If it's that bad, get help. Aikido will help, but you might also need "help" help.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #34
Nick Simpson
United Kingdom
Yeah, ok, I made a couple of sick jokes but I didnt really mean it and I wouldnt have posted them if I wasnt sure that this is a joke/troll/rant/whatever.

Im pretty sure that it is in a light hearted tone, even if the original poster is actually considering suicide. Reads more like they are just venting some of their ideas in a slightly daft way, much like having a conversation with someone but your really talking to yourself, so you can sort out your thoughts.

And if they are actually pursuing this path of suicide through aikido then theres not much that I can say or do to stop them, telling someone to get help from a shrink isnt going to do much good. We dont know who this person is or have any real indepth views into their circumstances, so what kind of practical help can we offer? People have already voiced their opinions on whether this is a good choice or a bad one and I think someone gave a helpline number or link or something, thats about it. Like most everything in life, suicide is a choice you make, you think about it and then you either do it or you dont. Looking on the bright side, it should hopefully take a long time for this individual to be killed in practice, perhaps several years before he recieves the fateful koshinage and breakfalls incorrectly. Hopefully they have the time to think some more and find a different direction for their frustrations.

At least they arent going to grab a gun and blow their brains out straight away and then regret it, so to speak. Sorry if I've rambled, but i wanted to explain myself.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #35
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States
Re: goodbye cruel world!

Si Wilson (siwilson) wrote:
Quote:
First - if someone is serious about suicide, they kill themselves, not talk about it.
Then Drew said:
Quote:
This is nonsense. Many suicidal people begin talking about it, hoping (thinking hope but not feeling hope) that there may be another alternative. Suicidal people may have exhausted all internal methods of finding a way to live happily. Some of them begin turning to others for ideas and guidance.
I have known a couple people whose jobs were to deal with mentally or emotionally disturbed or ill people, and they both said something similar to what Si Wilson did. That's not to mean that they're not seriously *considering* suicide... My friend Don worked in the psychiatric ward of a hospital for a while, so I'll just paraphrase something he said on the topic:

"The ones who talked about killing themselves we didn't worry about, because they were either just saying it for attention, or hadn't yet made up their minds one way or the other about whether they were going to actually do it. The ones we worried about were the ones who *stopped* talking about it -- because they'd made their decision."

So, someone posting here to the web, in a very public forum, about committing suicide, is probably either being tongue-in-cheek, or is looking for help as you said -- searching for alternatives, for people to convince him that there are other options. A person who is actually going to commit suicide probably isn't going to post about it -- if anything, they'll mention it to a close friend or two, not an entire crowd of strangers, which is what this forum most resembles.

Make sense?
Heather
Old 04-27-2004, 07:04 AM   #36
SeiserL

United_States
Re: goodbye cruel world!

IMHO, when we are at our best, happy and creative, we are not very busy in our minds. When we are at our worse, depressed and suicidal, we are overloaded in the mind. It is the mind and its comparative self-judgment that creates most problems.

Aikido is excellent, but it is not psychotherapy.

Don't try to figure it all out alone. None of us have seen our own faces without a mirror.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!