Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-21-2005, 06:18 PM   #26
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Non-Japanese Shihan?

Quote:
Alvin Nagasawa wrote:
Jun,
Thanks for following up on this posting on :Non-Japanese Shihan?. I am sure allot of the reader of this forum. would like some answer's. And if Mr. Goldsbury or Lisa has the time to follow up. I for one would appreciate their individual efforts on this subject. This Shihan issue has been a topic of decision for many years. It's just a title, Lets not make it more than it is. I doesn't make this person better than you or I . We are all human beings. Let's just concentrate on one's own individual training. Leave the politics to the politicians.
Hi Alvin - it's been awhile!

The regulations for shihan are listed on the Japanese side of the Aikikai hombu website (in Japanese). In general (off the top of my head):

1) Organizations must apply, not the person themselves.
2) The person must be at least 6th dan, and have been 6th dan for at least 6 years.
3) The shihan certification committee meets once a year to review applications.

There's also an application form available for downloading if anybody's interested .

Best,

Chris

Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #27
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States
Re: Non-Japanese Shihans?

Hello Chris,

I hope Mr Diffin, who posted this issue of : Non-Japanese Shihan will contact you and resolve his question. And for everyone else that this issue was not answered, But was bounced around and no one had a concrete direction to follow. I appreciate someone who has a recommendation and resolution in solving this issue. I hope the host of the Aiki Web will contact Mr. Li and work together to help all the members of the Aiki Web find a common ground where we all can find a honest answer to ones posting issues what ever it maybe. The majority of the issue is posted by beginners who are looking for answers to there individual problems. The Aiki Web is source of posting,resolution, and direction in the Aikido or MA community.

Lone Wolf of San Jose
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #28
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

This post is intended as a supplement to Chris Li's.

The Shihan rules can be found on the Aikikai's web site under the general heading "Furoku". The rules are the fourth item under this heading. Since they have not been translated, reading them will be a good chance for students of Japanese to test their skills. Notice that the rules apply to organizations outside Japan that are officially recognized by the Aikikai. They are not related to the shihan promotions made by individual instructors within their own organizations.

A committee meets each year to decide on the applications and the results are communicated to the organizations that propose the candidates and, where appropriate, to the candidates themselves. The results are not made available to the general public, either in the "Aikido Shimbun" or on any web site. Thus, it will be pointless to ask Chris Li or myself who has been awarded the title.

In an earlier post, the recommendation was made to 'leave the politics to the politicians'. I think the only political issue here has been the obvious difference between Japan and the rest of the world and the only 'politics' that I can see has been done, sometimes with great reluctance, by those who want to see this imbalance corrected.

The kagami-biraki dan promotions are made public in the "Aikido Shimbun". This publication appears twice each month and the promotions for 2005 will appear in the next issue or the one after that.

Yours sincerely,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #29
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Peter:

Since the Shimbun is not in English, how do us non-Japanse speaking find out who is promoted?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #30
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Peter:

Since the Shimbun is not in English, how do us non-Japanse speaking find out who is promoted?
Do you mean dan promotions, or promotions to shihan? In either case, as I implied in my earlier post, you don't.

The information gradually filters through, as it is doing now in this forum. At present there is no official way for such information to be disseminated, apart from the Aikikai's publications or the English section of its web site. The dan promotions are regularly listed on the back page; the shihan promotions are not.

Until the "Aikido Shimbun" is published online, this situation is unlikely to change.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-22-2005, 12:10 AM   #31
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Quote:
Do you mean dan promotions, or promotions to shihan? In either case, as I implied in my earlier post, you don't.
ummm...maybe I'm just bing a little naive here or perhaps I'm missing something, but couldn't someone be kind enough to translate the info on the website for the rest of us who do no know enough Japanese to translate it for ourselves. I think that is what is being asked (or at least implied). Is this some type of big social no-no or what? The info is there, its just not in English, right? (Its late in the evening, sorry about the sarcastic tone)

On another note about the Shihan title. Obviously the title is an honor bestowed on those who have dedicated their lives to not only learning Aikido, but to putting forth a extraordinary effort to spreading and teaching the art. But does the title also have some "concrete" power/responisibility that goes along with it? Something I've always been interested in knowing...does having the title of Shihan through Hombu Dojo (Aikikai) allow one to promote students to higher ranks: i.e. generally Shidoin are usually allowed to test students up to ranks of Nidan or Sandan. Does this change with the Shihan title, I wonder? Isn't a Shihan allowed to test, promote, and sign the certificates of students up to and including their own rank, or does that require some other Hombu approval? Will it be different for non-Japanese Shihan?

Just some more discussion fodder.

Mike
Old 01-22-2005, 01:43 AM   #32
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Michael Young wrote:
ummm...maybe I'm just bing a little naive here or perhaps I'm missing something, but couldn't someone be kind enough to translate the info on the website for the rest of us who do no know enough Japanese to translate it for ourselves. I think that is what is being asked (or at least implied). Is this some type of big social no-no or what? The info is there, its just not in English, right? (Its late in the evening, sorry about the sarcastic tone)
And I have just got home from supervising some doctoral students, so you must forgive my sarcastic tone, if you detect it. The Aikikai's Japanese-language site is quite large and I think no member of this forum has the authority―or the time―to produce translations on demand. The Aikikai has a web site in English and if it were thought necessary, translations would be provided. If anyone wants a list of non-Japanese shihans recognized by the Aikikai, well, there is an e-mail address (aikido@aikikai.or.jp) and they know enough English to produce a web site in the language... Why not ask directly?

Quote:
Michael Young wrote:
On another note about the Shihan title. Obviously the title is an honor bestowed on those who have dedicated their lives to not only learning Aikido, but to putting forth a extraordinary effort to spreading and teaching the art. But does the title also have some "concrete" power/responisibility that goes along with it? Something I've always been interested in knowing...does having the title of Shihan through Hombu Dojo (Aikikai) allow one to promote students to higher ranks: i.e. generally Shidoin are usually allowed to test students up to ranks of Nidan or Sandan. Does this change with the Shihan title, I wonder? Isn't a Shihan allowed to test, promote, and sign the certificates of students up to and including their own rank, or does that require some other Hombu approval? Will it be different for non-Japanese Shihan?

Just some more discussion fodder.

Mike
As stated earlier the Shihan title should be seen in combination with the Aikikai's regulations, which are on the web site in English. The organization, not the individual shihan, has the power to seek dan promotions based on the rank of the highest ranked member of the organizations's Teaching/Examination Committee.

Yours sincerely,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-22-2005, 05:26 AM   #33
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Peter:

Hello John,

To add to my earlier post, I should add that the dan promotions are listed in the "Aikido Shimbun" exactly as they are written on the application, or as near as the English skills of those in the Aikikai office will allow. Occasionally first names and family names are mixed up, for example. So, anyone who looks at the last page will immediately recognize the name of their favourite non-Japanese shihan, for example. However, to my knowledge shihan promotions are not made public. At some point during kagami-biraki―I think before the party begins, the list of dan promotions is unveiled, to the oohs and aahs of the participants. The new shihan are not included in this ceremony. I do not know why, but perhaps it is thought to be a matter for the shihan and his/her organization. In any case, becoming a shihan is not really such a big deal in Japan.

What I want to stress here is that the Aikikai is still fundamentally a Japanese-style organization and is simply not geared to providing regular English news bulletins at all, let alone on a web site. Thus there is no one who will automatically think of sending the latest dan promotions or shihan awards around the world via the Internet.

Personally, I think this is not a good situation, but people like Hombu administrators―and Japanese university administrators for that matter―have not got to the stage where the Internet IN ENGLISH is their first call for disseminating or exchanging information. My own university has made great progress, but the Hombu still lags far behind. On the other hand, you would be surprised at the number of IAF member-organisations with which it is virtually impossible to communicate via e-mail.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-22-2005, 04:11 PM   #34
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Daniel Neves wrote:
Great News!!!!!

Please, if you see Sensei BERNATH in these days, send him our congratulations from SAKANASHI Sensei and all his students of the Centro de Difusion del Aikido in Argentina.

Has he been promoted to nanadan, too?
I have sent word to him for you all. I believe he's still 6th dan at the moment.

Please tell Sakanashi Sensei that we all enjoyed his last visit here. I would love to see him again.

Don and Jim, I've sent word to Peter as well. He says that we should have a parade for him.

As to Jun's comment about where to see this officially, I don't know , but I can tell you that it is "official" according to Penny. From what I remember her telling me this morning, the decision was made this January and Peter was told this past week, but I don't think a formal announcement was made, yet. And, as many may know it's a hugh thing for our organization. We are very happy for Peter and the others who are award Shihan as well.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #35
akiy

Hi Peter,

As always, I appreciate the information that you can impart.

Do you know of a way for someone (like myself) in the United States to subscribe to the Aikido Shimbun?

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:38 PM   #36
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Thank you for the info Mr. Goldsbury. If my understanding is correct then, the Shihan title is mostly ceremonial, and as with most rank related issues, is only as important as each organization (and/or individual) makes it. Hombu doesn't impart special permission for anything new, it is just an adjunct title to a particular rank indicating a somewhat special or recognized teacher in Hombu's eyes (or maybe not so special since they don't seem to give it much exposure...typical Japanese layers of etiquette and meaning )

Thanks for sharing your knowledge agian,

Mike
Old 01-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #37
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
IDon and Jim, I've sent word to Peter as well. He says that we should have a parade for him.
Cheers.

We applied for the permit, but conflicted with those darn boats on the Intercoastal on the one hand, the booths on Las Olas on the other. Can't say we didn't try...

(He did want a venue more splashy than the 7-11 parking lot, right?)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #38
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Peter,

As always, I appreciate the information that you can impart.

Do you know of a way for someone (like myself) in the United States to subscribe to the Aikido Shimbun?

Thanks,

-- Jun
Hello Jun,

The Aikikai has a yuubin furikae number. It is 00150-0-49527. As you probably know, it is a very convenient method of paying bills here and I always use this system for sending in examination fees etc. I have no idea whether it would work from a post office in the US. I suggest you e-mail the Aikikai in Japanese (aikido@aikikai.or.jp) and ask about the easiest payment method from abroad.

Best regards,

PAG

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-22-2005, 11:47 PM   #39
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Hello Jun,

The Aikikai has a yuubin furikae number. It is 00150-0-49527. As you probably know, it is a very convenient method of paying bills here and I always use this system for sending in examination fees etc. I have no idea whether it would work from a post office in the US. I suggest you e-mail the Aikikai in Japanese (aikido@aikikai.or.jp) and ask about the easiest payment method from abroad.

Best regards,

PAG
No, you can't transfer from the US post office to a Japanese postal account. It's possible to wire money into the Aikikai bank account (they'll send you the details if you ask), but the wire fee can be high from the US. Last time I bought something directly from hombu they didn't take credit cards, but who knows, maybe they will if enough people pester them .

A cheaper work around might be a bank draft, which is much cheaper (sometimes free!), or postal money orders, but I don't know if the Aikikai is willing to deal with that or not - in many ways they don't really function like an international organization.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #40
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Michael Young wrote:
Thank you for the info Mr. Goldsbury. If my understanding is correct then, the Shihan title is mostly ceremonial, and as with most rank related issues, is only as important as each organization (and/or individual) makes it. Hombu doesn't impart special permission for anything new, it is just an adjunct title to a particular rank indicating a somewhat special or recognized teacher in Hombu's eyes (or maybe not so special since they don't seem to give it much exposure...typical Japanese layers of etiquette and meaning )

Thanks for sharing your knowledge agian,

Mike
Mr Young,

The Aikikai is in process of tying the shihan rank much more closely to the organization. The organization can award ranks in accordance with the ranking of the most senior member of the organization's teaching/examination committee. For example, if the senior member has 7th dan rank, then the organization can promote directly up to 5th dan and request for a promotion up to 6th dan. It does not matter whether the 7th dan has the title of shihan or not. If he/she does, it is simply icing on the cake.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-23-2005, 02:16 PM   #41
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Cheers.

We applied for the permit, but conflicted with those darn boats on the Intercoastal on the one hand, the booths on Las Olas on the other. Can't say we didn't try...

(He did want a venue more splashy than the 7-11 parking lot, right?)
We were thinking along the lines of Einsteins and Sushi One.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #42
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Hello John,

To add to my earlier post, I should add that the dan promotions are listed in the "Aikido Shimbun" exactly as they are written on the application, or as near as the English skills of those in the Aikikai office will allow. Occasionally first names and family names are mixed up, for example. So, anyone who looks at the last page will immediately recognize the name of their favourite non-Japanese shihan, for example. However, to my knowledge shihan promotions are not made public. At some point during kagami-biraki―I think before the party begins, the list of dan promotions is unveiled, to the oohs and aahs of the participants. The new shihan are not included in this ceremony. I do not know why, but perhaps it is thought to be a matter for the shihan and his/her organization. In any case, becoming a shihan is not really such a big deal in Japan.

What I want to stress here is that the Aikikai is still fundamentally a Japanese-style organization and is simply not geared to providing regular English news bulletins at all, let alone on a web site. Thus there is no one who will automatically think of sending the latest dan promotions or shihan awards around the world via the Internet.

Personally, I think this is not a good situation, but people like Hombu administrators―and Japanese university administrators for that matter―have not got to the stage where the Internet IN ENGLISH is their first call for disseminating or exchanging information. My own university has made great progress, but the Hombu still lags far behind. On the other hand, you would be surprised at the number of IAF member-organisations with which it is virtually impossible to communicate via e-mail.

Best regards,
Mr. Peter A. Goldsbury, Thank you for your response. Which is very informative, detailed, respectful. I would hope the the people that view this thread will find that the information that you have provided is well taken. With the situation at Hombu dojo(office management) and funding situation. It's not a priority situation for them. What if the International Aikido Federation start a English web site. Where everyone can e-mail there questions and view Promotions, Shihan promotions and so on International Federation web site. I have no idea of all the different country's and affiliated Dojos that are members of the International Aikido Federation community. This could be a loop hole to follow up?.

Lone Wolf of San Jose
Old 01-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #43
Peter Goldsbury

Japan

Quote:
Alvin Nagasawa wrote:
Mr. Peter A. Goldsbury, Thank you for your response. Which is very informative, detailed, respectful. I would hope the the people that view this thread will find that the information that you have provided is well taken. With the situation at Hombu dojo(office management) and funding situation. It's not a priority situation for them. What if the International Aikido Federation start a English web site. Where everyone can e-mail there questions and view Promotions, Shihan promotions and so on International Federation web site. I have no idea of all the different country's and affiliated Dojos that are members of the International Aikido Federation community. This could be a loop hole to follow up?.
Mr Nagasawa,

The IAF has had a web site up and running for several years. The URL is www.aikido-international.org and there are discussion forums open to non-IAF members. It would be too big a job to post all the Hombu dan promotions there. However, posting the senior ranks, e.g., 6th dan and above, which are fewer, is quite feasible.

Yours sincerely,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 01-23-2005 at 07:45 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #44
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Thanks for all the info everyone. I never expected this thread to go multi-page

Oh and as for this post from Alvin:

Quote:
Hello Chris,

I hope Mr Diffin, who posted this issue of : Non-Japanese Shihan will contact you and resolve his question. And for everyone else that this issue was not answered, But was bounced around and no one had a concrete direction to follow. I appreciate someone who has a recommendation and resolution in solving this issue. I hope the host of the Aiki Web will contact Mr. Li and work together to help all the members of the Aiki Web find a common ground where we all can find a honest answer to ones posting issues what ever it maybe. The majority of the issue is posted by beginners who are looking for answers to there individual problems. The Aiki Web is source of posting,resolution, and direction in the Aikido or MA community.
Umm, I didn't know there was an "issue". I was curious as to the number and names of any non-Japanese Shihan...that's it. As Sigmund Freud once said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #45
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Thumbs down Re: Non-Japanese Shihans?

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
He's not. I just confirmed with Penny. It's true. He's shihan, now.
This is great,.. In Colombia we are happy to confirm the new promotion of two very good sensei that have been very close to us. They have helped us a lot in our aikido development.
In name of all members of Aikikai de Colombia and sensei Luis Fernando Aldana Congratulations to Peter and Donovan Sensei.

C駸ar Martnez
Satori Dojo