Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #101
Kafastomp
Dojo: Free style Aikido ,Coos Bay Oregon
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Resistance?

I will use simple word to explain my experience:

A group of teens were invited by one of student to the Dojo. They want to learn Aikido. All these kids loves anime games and movies.
They start to goofing around when I try to explain what Aikido is.
I asked them to listen if they want to learn and they do.

We go on explain the ukemi, ushiro ,mae ukemi.
we go on to Ikkyo and there I experience my first resisitance. I find out later that`s why he attend to see if Aikido works.
He study others arts and he was told that Aikido ain`t work. He come to check it out.
When I heard about it I was mad but think twice about it and realized this will be fun for me ?
on our next practice after our warm up there he do it again. the rest of the student watch me what I will do [what is my next move]. I did not make a move but I give him an advice.
" if you resist you bring harm to yourself" if you want to experience the Harmony in Aikido then you need to come with a right attitude.
That day my word become a slang to all of my student and they twist it " if you resist I"ll break your wrist" .
I don't want to teach them a wrong idea about Aikido , I stop them but they say , "we understand you but we use the word to stop the putting down from others art.
Any how , resistance is fun to work with .
For the Nage need to prepare for any action might happen.
It was take a while for this guys to understand everytime he use resistance I use another technique.
like ikkyo to nikyo ,sanyo,yonkyo or I just stop the resistance in ikkyo irimi .
Its help the nage with the movement but in the same time it help the uke to understand his limit.
Thanks