Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #1976
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Did hitting him in the face make you feel good?

There is an understanding when training unless you agree otherwise that you don't hit. You might not like it, but hitting someone in the face in a demo or partner doesn't make you a good fighter. It makes you a dick.

Why don't you continue to train like you train and let aikido be. It works for me and I would not have gotten hit in the face and I would not have used you for a demo.

And aikido has helped me take of myself several times and really all the time because of the awareness and strength and ability I have developed. It has nothing to do with fighting -- it has to do with defending myself.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #1977
sorokod
United Kingdom

I was need in the groin during jewaza once, one of the most valuable lessons I had. Truly a Zen koan moment.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #1978
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Did hitting him in the face make you feel good?

There is an understanding when training unless you agree otherwise that you don't hit. You might not like it, but hitting someone in the face in a demo or partner doesn't make you a good fighter. It makes you a dick..
Accidents happen. And a busted lip is nothing serious so if this "He shouted at me and got really pissed off." was true the other dude was also a dick.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #1979
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
I was need in the groin during jewaza once,
Funniest typos of the day.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #1980
sorokod
United Kingdom

Slow day? :-)

Old 03-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #1981
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Old 03-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #1982
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
It makes you a dick.
Is this verbal Aikido people keep talking about?

Old 03-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #1983
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Accidents happen. And a busted lip is nothing serious so if this "He shouted at me and got really pissed off." was true the other dude was also a dick.
agreed.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 03-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #1984
Cass

Dojo: Aikido Academy
Greece

To be honest I think regardless of your rank if you are training with someone and they punch you hard enough to do damage of any kind, not apologizing and instead just shrugging while saying "your fault" would probably piss me off too. It shouldn't be a matter of how you train as to showing genuine concern and care for the well-being of your partner. I am of course assuming that summary did not omit anything like that of course.

Aikido Discord Live Chat: https://discord.gg/Vxdcmz6
Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #1985
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Cassia Rose Heatley wrote: View Post
To be honest I think regardless of your rank if you are training with someone and they punch you hard enough to do damage of any kind, not apologizing and instead just shrugging while saying "your fault" would probably piss me off too. It shouldn't be a matter of how you train as to showing genuine concern and care for the well-being of your partner. I am of course assuming that summary did not omit anything like that of course.
It all depends on the situation, of course, but if I'm "training" with someone, and they actually hit me, I do consider it my fault for having my nose in the wrong place. If I'm "training" with someone and they present the opening, I'll tell them, then if the opening is still there, I'll tap them, and accelerate over the next few openings until they get it, and take the opening away.

However, if I'm in a "demonstration" mode, teaching something, or perhaps being taught something, I expect that a warning "touch" (rather than a strike) might be warranted, but if someone hits me hard enough to draw blood during a slowed-down demonstration, I'll change from teaching mode to "one of us might end up needing a doctor" mode.

A friend had a "what's this aikido stuff" visit from a TKD practitioner, was step-by-step demonstrating something when he got a swift elbow in the side of the head... While saying "So, why did you do that while I was demonstrating at slow speed?" he put the fellow on the floor and nearly took his arm off.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #1986
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
A friend had a "what's this aikido stuff" visit from a TKD practitioner, was step-by-step demonstrating something when he got a swift elbow in the side of the head... While saying "So, why did you do that while I was demonstrating at slow speed?" he put the fellow on the floor and nearly took his arm off.
Oh what the hell - let's help push this thread to the 1000 mark.

At the risk of me tooing in my case (and I might have related this story eons ago on aikiweb) my visitor was a Yoseikan Budo practitioner (I blame the man not the art) who attempted the same sort of strike. I didn't have time to say anything but his rejoinder was That's not Aikido. He might have had a point as I had cracked his ribs with my knee but then again I think it was.

Now to the point. It is usually pretty obvious when it is an accident and conversely pretty obvious when it is not. And to push the point - when it is not an accident it is also not a fight. There is no squaring off of opponents but a sucker punch, a straight up assault. In a training environment donuts to dollars it contains the expectation that there won't be retaliation.

For the surprise assault aikido has certain advantages and it is certainly no less advantageous than any art you care to name.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #1987
Walter Martindale
Canada
Smile Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Oh what the hell - let's help push this thread to the 1000 mark.

At the risk of me tooing in my case (and I might have related this story eons ago on aikiweb) my visitor was a Yoseikan Budo practitioner (I blame the man not the art) who attempted the same sort of strike. I didn't have time to say anything but his rejoinder was That's not Aikido. He might have had a point as I had cracked his ribs with my knee but then again I think it was.

Now to the point. It is usually pretty obvious when it is an accident and conversely pretty obvious when it is not. And to push the point - when it is not an accident it is also not a fight. There is no squaring off of opponents but a sucker punch, a straight up assault. In a training environment donuts to dollars it contains the expectation that there won't be retaliation.

For the surprise assault aikido has certain advantages and it is certainly no less advantageous than any art you care to name.
he he he... don't you mean the 2000 mark?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #1988
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
he he he... don't you mean the 2000 mark?
Um - yes - that's two more. Part of the plan.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #1989
John Longford
Dojo: Cambridge Aikido, Cambridge UK
England

I cannot be bothered to read all the posts so I may be repeating what someone has already said. Aikido does work. I have used it more than once. At no time did I do a technique as I have practiced/taught in the Dojo. What came out was an almalgamation of the various moves I have learnt. The whole point of doing a vast variety of movements, often from unrealistic attacks, is that your body reacts to whatever is thrown at it. If your body did not learn from repetitive movements then you would never be able to drive a car!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:36 AM   #1990
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

Baking does not work at all in a pie-eating contest.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM   #1991
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

YOUR baking might not work in a pie-eating contest, but mine works just fine, thanks!

Quote:
Conan Theobald wrote: View Post
Baking does not work at all in a pie-eating contest.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #1992
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

I have competed in both pie and hot-dog eating contests and I am now training in the brazilian "Estrela da Morte" burger challenge. I have watched many No Olives Jarred competitions, like the UFC (Ultimate Feasting Contest), and it is clear to me that Baking and it's techniques and it's way of training do not prepare anyone to actually eat. I know that Baking practitioners talk a lot about concepts like kneading, folding...etc. but I also hear people talk about how it is a pratical means of subsistence. Baking does not have practical eating techniques or any REAL mouth-work at all. I would like to know how Baking can be used as subsistence if you cannot grill a steak.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #1993
Garth Jones
United_States

Baking can provide real nutrition if you know the secret potato baking techniques. Many critics of modern Baking have pointed out in recent years that those techniques are being lost and bakers in modern kitchens just dance around their flour without any serious focus.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #1994
GMaroda
United_States

I'm sorry, but eating competitions have rules that make it not applicable to all eating situations. Baking, on the other hand, will give you the skills to face eating anywhere. Besides, something like a sachertorte can have so many eggs that it's just not safe in a competitive environment. The cholesterol alone....I shudder to think what could happen to Takeru Kobayashi!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #1995
GMaroda
United_States

Actually, I think the true secret of using baking in a pie eating contest is to make sure you baked the pies you're eating!

Winning is easy if no one else likes rhubarb!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #1996
SlowLerner

In my opinion, Aikido is more geared towards getting out of a fight. My Aikido turns into wrestling when I try to fight with it, which is probably a more appropriate style in this context.
I wonder what wrestling would turn into if the goal was to evade multiple attackers like the alive/resisting practise we do in Aikido.
I suppose if you can evade 3 attackers, you can evade one on one, the flashy throws are just a nice to have if your goal is not to get grabbed / hit.
The UFC would be interesting if this was the format, and probably closer to reality because a lot of real situations are not one on one. I wonder which styles would be most effective.
While we are on the subject of pies, perhaps we could work that in too. There could be a maze like PacMan and you have to eat as many pies as you can without being submitted. I would watch every comp!
Old 04-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #1997
Thomas Christaller
Dojo: Zentrum fuer Bewegung & Lebenskunst/Bonn
Germany

Quote:
Conan Theobald wrote: View Post
I have competed in both pie and hot-dog eating contests and I am now training in the brazilian "Estrela da Morte" burger challenge. I have watched many No Olives Jarred competitions, like the UFC (Ultimate Feasting Contest), and it is clear to me that Baking and it's techniques and it's way of training do not prepare anyone to actually eat. I know that Baking practitioners talk a lot about concepts like kneading, folding...etc. but I also hear people talk about how it is a pratical means of subsistence. Baking does not have practical eating techniques or any REAL mouth-work at all. I would like to know how Baking can be used as subsistence if you cannot grill a steak.
You won. Its so obvious.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #1998
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

*sigh*

Not one of you seems to realise that the most important thing about baking is the internal practice. If your baking lacks internal power it is useless. And to be honest, what would be the point?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #1999
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

Tohei Sensei said that even artillery can be Aikido....
Old 04-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #2000
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Two thousand.