Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Stuart Turner
Dojo: Templegate
United Kingdom
Who was the naval officer?

In looking at aikido's history, a number of sources - most of them seeming going back to either John Stevens or Kisshomaru Ueshiba - relate the following story about O-sensei:
In 1925, Ueshiba fought a challenge match in Ayabe with a young navel officer and kendo master. The naval officer was armed with a bokken, while O-sensei was unarmed. After soundly defeating his opponent by evading the strikes of the bokken, Ueshiba then walked into his garden and had a spiritual awakening, in which he, "felt the universe suddenly quake, and a golden spirit sprang up from the ground, veiled my body, and changed it into a golden one. At the same time my body became light. I was able to understand the song of the birds, and was clearly aware of the mind of God, the creator of the universe. At that moment I was enlightened: the source of Budo is the spirit of loving protection for all beings..."
An important moment in the development of aikido, by all accounts. However, I have searched and searched, and nowhere is the name of this naval officer and kendo master apparently recorded. I've found one book (Winfried Wagner's AiKiDo: The Trinity of Conflict Transformation) which names him as Admiral Takeshita, but Takeshita's relationship with Ueshiba is well-documented by Stanley Pranin and others, and no-one else seems to have mentioned him in this context - it therefore seems an unlikely conjecture.

I know there are many people on this forum whose research skills far outshine mine, so I'm opening the question to the floor - does anyone have concrete evidence for the identity of this mysterious kendoka?
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Ellis Amdur

Re: Who was the naval officer?

Stuart - his name has never, to my knowledge, been mentioned. It surely was not Takeshita who a) would have been an "old" naval officer and b) was a disciple - which would make the story far less edifying.

Ellis Amdur

Quote:
Stuart Turner wrote: View Post
In looking at aikido's history, a number of sources - most of them seeming going back to either John Stevens or Kisshomaru Ueshiba - relate the following story about O-sensei:
In 1925, Ueshiba fought a challenge match in Ayabe with a young navel officer and kendo master. The naval officer was armed with a bokken, while O-sensei was unarmed. After soundly defeating his opponent by evading the strikes of the bokken, Ueshiba then walked into his garden and had a spiritual awakening, in which he, "felt the universe suddenly quake, and a golden spirit sprang up from the ground, veiled my body, and changed it into a golden one. At the same time my body became light. I was able to understand the song of the birds, and was clearly aware of the mind of God, the creator of the universe. At that moment I was enlightened: the source of Budo is the spirit of loving protection for all beings..."
An important moment in the development of aikido, by all accounts. However, I have searched and searched, and nowhere is the name of this naval officer and kendo master apparently recorded. I've found one book (Winfried Wagner's AiKiDo: The Trinity of Conflict Transformation) which names him as Admiral Takeshita, but Takeshita's relationship with Ueshiba is well-documented by Stanley Pranin and others, and no-one else seems to have mentioned him in this context - it therefore seems an unlikely conjecture.

I know there are many people on this forum whose research skills far outshine mine, so I'm opening the question to the floor - does anyone have concrete evidence for the identity of this mysterious kendoka?

Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

From an old interview with Tamura Nobuyoshi I feel the "challenger" was Jun'ichi Haga. But that's not evidence.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Ellis Amdur

Haha was born in 1908. He started kendo at the age of 18 (1926), one year after the 'enlightenment incident.' Per Stan Pranin, he had some kind of a 'match' with Ueshiba in 1933.

What one should understand is that in the 1920's, Ueshiba was at the hub of martial arts in Tokyo, particularly revolving around the military, Omoto (which was a militant church, not a pacifist movement, which hundreds, if not thousands studying Daito-ryu, kendo and other arts). Ueshiba probably had lots of encounters like this one - it is just that, for some reason, things lined up for him.

(A friend of mine recently told me that he was doing his taiji set, an ordinary day like any other, and at the end of the form, he had an experience much like a dose of DMT, a pervasive 'psychedelic' experience - btw, DMT is located in the pineal body and seems to be released in periods of stress, or particular meditative states . . . (also, from bufo avarius, but that's another story). At any rate, it's very possible that the 'stars lined up' on an ordinary day for Ueshiba - the identify of the young naval officer wasn't really important.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote: View Post
Haha was born in 1908. He started kendo at the age of 18 (1926), one year after the 'enlightenment incident.' Per Stan Pranin, he had some kind of a 'match' with Ueshiba in 1933.
My feeling is that the spiritual awakening in Ayabe and Haga's challenge (as described by Tamura) were two different unrelated events which, somehow, became one in the hagiographic process.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Stuart Turner
Dojo: Templegate
United Kingdom

Many thanks to you both. I guess the poor chap's identity will just have to be one of those things lost in the mists of history. Much obliged for the information, nevertheless.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Stuart Turner wrote: View Post
Many thanks to you both. I guess the poor chap's identity will just have to be one of those things lost in the mists of history. Much obliged for the information, nevertheless.
Wasn't it Ensign Pulver-ized?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #8
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
Wasn't it Ensign Pulver-ized?
I always wondered with this story - what was meant by defeated. Was it a game of tag, did Ueshiba just avoid the blows. How intense were the attacks. Were those kendo typical (i.e. straight cuts). What exactly is meant by a young master.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
observer
United_States

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
I always wondered with this story - what was meant by defeated.
Here is the answer to your question.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Maciej Jesmanowicz wrote: View Post
Here is the answer to your question.
Looks staged.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Looks staged.
Of course it was - anyway I always understood Ueshiba was unarmed.

I also understand how difficult it is to avoid a bokken that can change direction.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Of course it was -
And I was trying to be funny...

Quote:
I always understood Ueshiba was unarmed.
That's the official version.

Quote:
... a bokken that can change direction.
Do they build these???

Trying to be funny again...
Old 03-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
PeterR

Japan

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post