Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Aikikai Hombu Dojo Instructor Masaya Tokuda Under Arrest

Here's some news video of Masaya Tokuda, a 4th Dan instructor at Aikikai Hombu Dojo, placed under arrest on December 20th (run the article through Google Translate for details) for rubbing "bodily fluids" on a woman in her 20's while passing by on a bicycle. The Aikikai posted a public apology on December 21st.

The Aikikai did the right thing, IMO, in immediately posting an apology (it wasn't their fault, of course), but I wish that they had posted it on the English side of their website as well. There are many non-Japanese practicing at Aikikai Hombu where he was instructing, and many of them do not read Japanese well. Additionally, people outside of Japan should be made aware of the situation for future reference. For those who are interested, here he is at this year's All Japan Demonstration in May.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Aikikai Hombu Dojo Instructor Masaya Tokuda Under Arrest

Hi Chris
I read your post with some disbelief, why would anyone want to do such a disgusting thing ?
Are you able to offer us that don't read Japanese the full apology from Hombu ? I used my translator but it was of little use.

Kind regards

Henry Ellis

Co-author of `Positive Aikido`

http://kazuo-chiba-sensei.blogspot.com/
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Chris Li

United_States

I don't have time for a full translation right now, but Moriteru Doshu (who signed the apology) apologizes deeply to the victim, says that he feels a moral responsibility, and expresses regret that the Aikikai failed to educate the perpetrator properly in the principles of Aikido. He says that these actions will not be forgiven and will be dealt with severely. He pledges that all Aikikai employees will work together to ensure that no such incidents occur in the future.

Very quick (and very dirty) - but that's more or less the gist of it. Tokuda admitted to the crimes, blamed it on stress, and admitted to having done the same thing on previous occasions.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I don't have time for a full translation right now, but Moriteru Doshu (who signed the apology) apologizes deeply to the victim, says that he feels a moral responsibility, and expresses regret that the Aikikai failed to educate the perpetrator properly in the principles of Aikido. He says that these actions will not be forgiven and will be dealt with severely. He pledges that all Aikikai employees will work together to ensure that no such incidents occur in the future.

Very quick (and very dirty) - but that's more or less the gist of it. Tokuda admitted to the crimes, blamed it on stress, and admitted to having done the same thing on previous occasions.

Best,

Chris
The TBS news report is local (I have not seen the report carried on other networks), but Doshu's letter has been sent to all the Aikikai-affiliated dojos in Japan. I suspect it was done in some haste, in order to show a proactive attitude -- and thus remove some of the egg from the Hombu face. There is some irony here, given that the Aikikai is a public-interest foundation and that an ethics charter and code of conduct are prominently displayed in Japanese and English on the Aikikai website. Mr Tokuda's name has been removed from the list of Hombu instructors, but the case has not yet gone to the public prosecutors. I am curious whether any changes will be made in the rather rigid structure of the Aikikai and the Hombu.

Several years ago, a junior lecturer at Hiroshima University fashioned a knife from a file used in his lab and murdered the dean of my faculty in the latter's study. This was on the old campus and at the time I happened to be in my own study having a Japanese lesson. (My office was located directly above the dean's office and I was regarded as a suspect.) The police were very thorough and I was interviewed four times on successive occasions and once by the public prosecutors. However, the police had a very good idea of who the culprit was from quite early on, but did not make an arrest until several weeks later, well after the dean's funeral.

The Japanese education ministry were very displeased with the university administration, not merely because the lecturer had committed murder, but because he had damaged the harmony that is supposed to exist at all levels of Japan's social, political and educational structure, and to have a similar power of lubrication to the ubiquitous green tea.

Best wishes to all for the New Year.

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

I am glad that the Aikikai has acted so quickly and clearly. Perhaps they hoped this was going to be a local issue. A martial art that claims as ethical and moral a stature as Aikido - one would hope an instructor at the head school would not be so deviant.

Prof Goldsbury, thank you for sharing the code of conduct and ethics - I hadn't been aware of them. They do look to be just under a year old. The English translation is not perfect and unfortunately I am monolingual.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel

According to the news report, while riding his bicycle he spread semen on some lady's face and hair....
After being arrested, it was announced that he probably did it already before.
Such a shame.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

I'm not a qualified mental health professional - but I think that is just plain CRAZY.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 12-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Chris Li

United_States

Although it has not (again) been posted in English, the Aikikai has cancelled next year's Kagami Biraki ceremony scheduled for January 8th due to the incident. Announcement in Japanese available here.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel

Click image for larger version

Name:	doshu.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1389Doshu Moriteru Ueshiba, the head of Aikikai, has taken full responsibility and published a deep apology to the public, after one of Hombu Dojo's junior instructors has sexualy attackes a women on Tokyo street. Disgustingly, while riding his bicycle, 28 years old Mr Masaya Tokuda (4th Dan), has rubbed semen on his random victim - a 20 years old woman.
After being arrested, he has admitted doing it also in the past. Even before it became known to the public, Doshu has published words of apology and took responsibility, although of course it is not his fault. But he feels responsible as an aikido disciple is like a son to his sensei. Like a family member. So doshu has acted like a real leader, like a father, condemning Masaya Tokuda's crime.

Furthermore, DOshu has canceled the Kagami Biraki party which is the most important annual event. He published a message that in accordance to the shameful crime, he is canceling the Kagami Biraki party.
The crime is shameful indeed, but Doshu's response is a meaningful lesson for every leader and personally for me.
I am sorry to announce it, and we will do our best to learn a lesson from this incident.

Last edited by ze'ev erlich : 12-26-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 12-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Sad. Good to see that the Aikikai is trying to stay on top of it.

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #11
Chris Li

United_States

My only real quibble is the failure to post announcements in English on the English version of their website. If I were a non-Japanese speaker traveling to Hombu for Kagami Biraki (very common from Hawaii) I would have no idea that there was any problem at all.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
My only real quibble is the failure to post announcements in English on the English version of their website. If I were a non-Japanese speaker traveling to Hombu for Kagami Biraki (very common from Hawaii) I would have no idea that there was any problem at all.

Best,

Chris
Hello Chris,

Agreed, but you know yourself the angst with which the English language is regarded in Japan. I have fond memories from Hirodai of 'English translation by committee' -- composed of Japanese professors of the Faculty of Letters, who learned their English by translating Chaucer and Dickens into Japanese. It took a long time and much effort to persuade the university hombu that English translation was best done by competent English native speakers who understood Japanese. But we got there in the end.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury
Old 12-27-2016, 03:19 AM   #13
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

Quote:
Robin Johnson wrote: View Post
I'm not a qualified mental health professional - but I think that is just plain CRAZY.
This kind of behaviour occurs with depressing frequency in Japan. It's not common but it's certainly not unheard of.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
lbb
United_States

"Stress" is just such a classic excuse that seems to always come up when women are assaulted. It's almost as if, oh I don't know, the perpetrator doesn't realize that they're autonomous human beings.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #15
Guillaume Erard
Dojo: Aikikai Hombu Dojo
France

According to the IAF Chairman, who has asked Doshu to clarify, it is the Naorai (the eating and drinking party portion) that will be canceled. The new year greeting, the demonstration, and handing out of the promotion certificates will take place as planned and visitors are welcome.

Hope that helps

Old 12-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
Chris Li

United_States

The English version of the apology is now available, but no mention of Kagami Biraki on the English side of the website at all. Guillaume is correct - they will have the promotion ceremony from 14:00 (according to the Japanese announcement).

Best,

Chris

Old 12-31-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
Chris Li

United_States

The Aikikai has (finally) published an English translation of the Kagami Biraki events cancellation notice.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
Chris Li

United_States

FYI, all mention of the incident, as well as the public apology, have been removed from both the English and Japanese sides of the Aikikai website.

Best,

Chris

Old 01-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #19
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Wow

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day