Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #126
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Sempai comments that stick with you...

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Henry,
We used to get similar comments or something like that, when serving "Her Majesty" If one didn't pull his weight, you were demoted as quick as you like....
The loss of face to your fellow service men was hard enough to bear let alone the financial penalty....
Did that Dan grade pull his socks up?
Tony

The guy did not need to pull his almonds up, he was the best dan grade at the Hut...The comment would not have got to me as it did to him, he struggled with the issue for a few weeks, he then left the Hut and Aikido for good, a very sad loss..........

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 AM   #127
chris wright

Dojo: White Rose Aikikai

From my sempai's - 'get yourself safe' i.e. move (Stuart Robinson)
'you can either finish him (uke) or finish your technique, sometimes there's no time to finish them both' (Dean Sheldrake)
'when doing shihonage - if uke feels comfortable, you're probably doing it wrong' (Dean Sheldrake)
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #128
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

The guy did not need to pull his almonds up, he was the best dan grade at the Hut...The comment would not have got to me as it did to him, he struggled with the issue for a few weeks, he then left the Hut and Aikido for good, a very sad loss..........

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.blogspot.com/
Henry,

After Reading P.A. Was it due to N Sensei being a little too hard on him personally? I read you kept your Dan grades. It is sad that he stopped going. It seems it knocked his confidence back somewhat. One of the lessons of aikido that many do not learn. As he was one of the best dan grades would that be a lesson in being overconfident and the dangers inherent in that?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #129
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Henry,

After Reading P.A. Was it due to N Sensei being a little too hard on him personally? I read you kept your Dan grades. It is sad that he stopped going. It seems it knocked his confidence back somewhat. One of the lessons of aikido that many do not learn. As he was one of the best dan grades would that be a lesson in being overconfident and the dangers inherent in that?
Tony

I am pleased to see that you have read `Positive Aikido` . I trust you found it an interesting read ?

The guy in question was a second dan, only the second one at that time to be graded by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei. I am afraid it had nothing to do with teaching any lessons. We were to discover later that it was Aikikai politics playing its hand...This was the very early days, they did not want westerners achieving high grades, they wanted the Japanese to be all prominent...The guy was as good as any Japanese of equal grade.

Henry Ellis

Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #130
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Tony

I am pleased to see that you have read `Positive Aikido` . I trust you found it an interesting read ?

The guy in question was a second dan, only the second one at that time to be graded by Kenshiro Abbe Sensei. I am afraid it had nothing to do with teaching any lessons. We were to discover later that it was Aikikai politics playing its hand...This was the very early days, they did not want westerners achieving high grades, they wanted the Japanese to be all prominent...The guy was as good as any Japanese of equal grade.

Henry Ellis

Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/
Henry,
This has also been the case within the Tomiki/Shodokan orgs.
There were many grades worth their salt and even above those of the Japanese levels that were never ever ranked to the level they should be at.
Such was the case at I believe was the first international aikido competitions where a highly regarded English Dan grade reached the finals of the tanto randori shiai and won it outright only to be placed second behind a Japanese player on a technical decision.
They didn't want to lose "face" by losing the competition to a "Gaijin"
That Dan grade was offered promotion on the spot, but refused it, saying to basically stuff their Dan grade promotion up their proverbial's..... The Japanese lost more face by that decision than any promotion they could give that man.....
To my mind there are way too many "black belts" that would rank green belt or less in my mind and also my teachers....
My Japanese friend, who you know about, often said that the level was just as good here if not better. Once something becomes international things change.... He said "Take football for instance"...... Whether for better or worse nobody can say that they own aikido..... No matter what style!!
The book was well worth it and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read about the reality of how it was all those years ago. As the book says inside the cover, it does what it says on the tin!!
Tree huggers and ribbon twirlers, those who love to dance? Go and buy a book on "philosophy" the moon, stars, planets or housewife's choice, you'll be better off.....
My Japanese friend will also get to learn about British aikido from another perspective, the true one!!

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 03-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.