Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #76
"Annoyed & hurt"
IP Hash: ae3e53ff
Anonymous User
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
lol fine, then a troll.
There response just seems to irrational to be a real person's issue.
I don't appreciate the trivializing of a very person and difficult issue. I came here for advice. Not to be judged, or mocked. This is exactly what I feared would happen if i go to another Aikido dojo. I am anonymous for just that reason. I don't want to be judged personally by people who lack the sensitivity and maturity, as these people here have shown. I would like people to see that this is a very real situation of a person who bleeds when hurt. Who feels kicks when they are down. Who is has made friends and had a relationships with people I have come to like in Aikido. I take seriously their friendship, and am not willing to piss it away. It is a loss to me.

Some sensitivity would be appreciated, if some people are capable. It is now even clear to me, not to seek another dojo, just for this type of poor treatment show to me now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #77
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,851
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I'm sincerely doubting that the OP is even a real person with an issue.
Let's please stay away from these kinds of accusatory conjectures regarding people's intentions to post anonymously here. If you feel like a thread needs to be reviewed, please let me know directly and I'll take a look.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #78
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
It is now even clear to me, not to seek another dojo, just for this type of poor treatment show to me now.
Sorry you've had an unpleasant experience, both in the dojo and here... On the other hand, if you look at it in a more positive way, the fact that you've encountered some people who have had trouble even believing your experience was real could also be looked at as evidence for how completely different their Aikido experiences have been from yours. They've trained for years, sometimes in many different dojos with advanced teachers, and have never seen things at all like what you've described in your dojo. I.e., it's possible to train extensively for years without encountering the sort of interpretation of Aikido or of what Aikido is that you have seen in that dojo. Not all teachers would agree at all with yours on what 'Aikido spirituality' is, let alone what it should mean to a student of Aikido.

If you do ever decide to look again at Aikido, thinking of it that way may help you be more optimistic that it may not be so hard to find a dojo that's more down-to-earth and more compatible with your way of looking at the world.

Anyway, hopefully you'll find some enjoyable activities to do whether Aikido or something else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #79
RED
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 903
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I don't appreciate the trivializing of a very person and difficult issue. I came here for advice. Not to be judged, or mocked. This is exactly what I feared would happen if i go to another Aikido dojo. I am anonymous for just that reason. I don't want to be judged personally by people who lack the sensitivity and maturity, as these people here have shown. I would like people to see that this is a very real situation of a person who bleeds when hurt. Who feels kicks when they are down. Who is has made friends and had a relationships with people I have come to like in Aikido. I take seriously their friendship, and am not willing to piss it away. It is a loss to me.

Some sensitivity would be appreciated, if some people are capable. It is now even clear to me, not to seek another dojo, just for this type of poor treatment show to me now.
You're being mellow dramatic.
How can I not question if you are for real? The resolutions you are coming to are illogical. They are biased.
Hey I was once cut off in traffic by a black dude--I'll just blame the black race. Idiotic!

You're hiding behind the anonymous thread and having an irrational response to an issue that isn't a major issue for most people to solve on their own. You hate your dojo...leave! You hate Aikido--quit! How is this a major life struggle here? Ridiculous. Forgive me, but it just looks like attention seeking.
Fine quit Aikido-- just know it is because of your issues, not Aikido's.
A pretend dojo frankly is the type of dojo some one with serious confidence issues needs. LARPing is as far as some people can get with Aikido. Evaluate yourself before you think you are more serious than the dojo you are complaining about. You might be as wacky as them, I don't know, I don't know you.

Are your feeling seriously hurt by what I said? Give me a break-- I can't comprehend that some on seriously is that insecure that they care what some one they don't know on the internet says! You can't be hurt--you don't know me well enough to be hurt. lol

Sorry if I'm being an ass...I'm typically more understanding. People having no concept of personal responsibility is my pet peeve! I can't feel bad for you.
Get real--you are quitting Aikido because of your issues...not because a little girl was mean to you on the interweb. Ridiculous!

Last edited by RED : 10-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.

MM
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #80
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,804
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Wow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #81
ninjaqutie
 
ninjaqutie's Avatar
Dojo: Searching for a new home
Location: Delaware (<3 still in Oregon!)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,003
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Wow.
My thoughts exactly!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #82
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 102
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Wow, where to start...

A) If you are getting your feelings hurt on Aikiweb, you should not go into rugby. In my experience, it is a sport where aggression is rewarded (at least the way I played it). You will be called every demeaning and embarrassing name in the book during the course of a normal game. If this is too hard for ya, you might leave with emotional problems....

B) You seem to refer to O'Sensei's spirituality as if it the wacko cult. You are probably offending people who have similar religious views, and you are showing a degree of religious intolerance. Everyone's religious views are odd outside of their religious spheres.

C) I believe there is a site that has an "Aikido sucks month" in March. The content of it is people giving testimonials in various chat rooms and blogs about how they went into an Aikido dojo and people jumped out in ninja costumes or something. I predict this thread will wind up on that site. Not accusing anyone of being or not being who they say they are, but I am making a prediction.

D) The OP admits that they are a beginner and can't even accurately comment on how well the instruction he is receiving is. If this is your objective opinion, why would you complain about the methods used to get you to advance? What right does an apprentice have to question a master? If I were serious about learning to cook well and apprentice under a 3 star chef who told me to cut onions for 8 hours a day for 3 months to improve my cooking. What right do I have to question? I am there for his instruction and that is what he is giving me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #83
"Annoyed"
IP Hash: 995a7568
Anonymous User
Re: Japanezsing

I didn't say Aikido was a cult. I never entertained a thought like that at all. I said, that my dojo went overboard into a world of fantasy when it came to the Founder's spirituality. I said it doesn't fit me. I said, I was told by a dojo member trying to convenience me the new shift in the dojo was alined with the Founder and his spirituality of Aikido, and he was an eccentric. I said associations of a bad experience transfers. That if I went to another dojo, I should expect similar spiritual concepts practiced, as my old dojo, in less or more degree. The spiritual situation in the new dojo will have the same spiritual concepts, but looked at differently. I would have a hard time staying at a dojo because of it. I didn't elude that to be true for everyone. I didn't say the spirituality is bad, wrong, or evil, etc. I didn't say those who believe in it, are cultish or any of the sort.

All I asked was for respect and deference to my situation and the dojo involved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #84
"bagogab"
IP Hash: 864a13ce
Anonymous User
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I decided to stop.
Rugby will be fun. Go do it and have a blast.
Some quick thoughts though:
Quote:
First impressions and bad experiences stay with a person (I think, therefore I am) and have a lasting impact...I am leaving Aikido all together.
I agree you have to believe it to be true to progress and stick with Aikido, if you really want it.
...mimicking something they aren't. Losing themselves in a fantasy world facilitated by the spiritual core of Aikido.
Why should I continue to stay, if I don't want to be part of that line of thinking? If I do find another dojo with the least bit of deference to spiritual core in Aikido, I will become very cynical and end up leaving on worse terms then now. I now have a history.
Sounds like a lack of understanding mixed with some self-fulfilling prophecies. I repeat, go do rugby. Sure, you have a history. We all have a history. Maybe Aikido isn't for you, but not because one dojo freaked you out by adopting atypical behavior.

Quote:
I thank everyone for their concern.
Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #85
raul rodrigo
Location: Quezon City
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 777
Philippines
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Why did you believe that the same "spiritual practices" will apply in every dojo?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 AM   #86
Josh Reyer
 
Josh Reyer's Avatar
Location: Aichi-ken, Nagoya-shi
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 644
Japan
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Annoyed,

I'm afraid you have inadvertently offended a lot people with your reasons for quitting. I believe your reasoning is sound, but is based off of too little good information, and too much misinformation. To that end, I'd like to provide a little more good information. I hope you'll take it under consideration, use it as a springboard for further private research, and make a sounder decision -- whether that be to leave aikido, or find a new dojo.

The founder of aikido, Ueshiba Morihei, did in fact have a rather unconventional belief system, even by Japanese standards. However, his aikido was based on an already existing martial art, Daito-ryu (Aiki-)Jujutsu. Ueshiba's beliefs were very private, and actually did not effect the physical practice of his art, though it might have informed how he approached and refined the curriculum.

There is a famous story of a French student of Ueshiba's, named André Nocquet. I've quoted it below:

Quote:
André Nocquet wrote:
[One day] I said to Ueshiba Sensei, “You are always praying, Ueshiba Sensei. Then aikido is a religion.” “No, that’s not true. Aikido is never a religion, but if you are a Christian, you will be a better Christian because of aikido. If you are a Buddhist, you will be a better Buddhist.” I thought it was an amazing response. I really liked his answer. Since he was a Japanese I was afraid he would say that Christianity was nothing. Ueshiba Sensei had a great deal of respect for Christ. I was living in a four-mat room in the dojo and he would knock on the door and enter. He would sit down beside me and there was a portrait of Jesus Christ. He would place his hands together in a gesture of respect. I asked him one day if there wasn’t a similarity between his prophecies and those of Christ. He answered, “Yes, because Jesus said his technique was love and I, Morihei, also say that my technique is love. Jesus created a religion, but I didn’t. Aikido is an art rather than a religion. But if you practice my aikido a great deal you will be a better Christian.” Then I asked, “Sensei should I remain a Christian?” He replied, “Yes, absolutely. You were raised as a Christian in France. Remain a Christian.” If he had told me to stop being a Christian and become a Buddhist, I would have been lost. My heart was full of Ueshiba Sensei because he had a vision of the entire world and that we were all his children. He called me his son.
Here we have an example of a Christian perspective, but the idea holds true even if you're an atheist. Ueshiba's spirituality was an integral part of his practice, but not part and parcel of his student's practice. In fact, the majority of his Japanese students did not subscribe to his brand of spirituality, including his own son.

The majority of aikido today trends along roughly three or so basic lines, created or focused by students of Ueshiba, none of whom believed in Ueshiba's spirituality as he himself believed it.

One of these lines is the Yoshinkai (also known by the name of its headquarters dojo, the Yoshinkan). The Yoshinkai trains Japan's riot police and female police officers. It's founder, Shioda Gozo, respected Ueshiba as a man and as a martial artist, but did not ascribe to his particular brand of spirituality. It's known for being a very practical style. There are others like it, and others that focus more on internal power.

Your dojo said they are aligning themselves with the Ueshiba's spirituality. That is, frankly, rather weird, and not typical of 99% of the aikido dojo out there. You suggest that another dojo will have the same spiritual concepts, only looked at differently. That is not true. In the vast majority of aikido dojo, Ueshiba's spirituality is not important, except in the broad strokes of non-aggression, altruism, and mutual cooperation. As the above story indicates, Ueshiba did not believe his spirituality was necessary for others to practice aikido, and so most of his students, and their students, did not, and do not.

If you enjoyed the physical practice of aikido, then you should give another dojo a shot. There are many flavors, many styles, and one of them will probably fit you. One of the greatest aspects of aikido is that it can be many things to many people.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #87
"Annoyed"
IP Hash: cb6be749
Anonymous User
Re: Japanezsing

Josh Reyer Peter G, Henry E. .Basia H. and the others like you I didn't mention. I appreciate that you took my concerns seriously and understood my situation. Amongst the noise, you and those like you have helped me. That can't go unrewarded. You guys have my respect and appreciation.

About those people who decided to be too easily insulted. I didn't want to leave Aikido and it was a huge dilemma. I was irritated and miserable by the change and the choices I faced. It made me unhappy. If other people are insensitive to my angst, turning to mockery and insults because they are insulted, raspberries to you. I have not been in the Aikido world long. I haven't met many others who do Aikido outside my dojo. I see, I was naive in coming here thinking I wasn't going to be the butt of jokes and a target for accusations and insults. I hope to never meet these people inside or outside a dojo.

With my problem solved, I have learned a great many things. Thank you Josh and company for being a bunch of stand up people. I appreciate your help and understanding. If I find a dojo with people like you guys in it I will be sure to join and resume Aikido.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #88
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,804
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
About those people who decided to be too easily insulted. I didn't want to leave Aikido and it was a huge dilemma. I was irritated and miserable by the change and the choices I faced. It made me unhappy. If other people are insensitive to my angst, turning to mockery and insults because they are insulted, raspberries to you. I have not been in the Aikido world long. I haven't met many others who do Aikido outside my dojo. I see, I was naive in coming here thinking I wasn't going to be the butt of jokes and a target for accusations and insults. I hope to never meet these people inside or outside a dojo.
I'm going to comment on this, and I hope you can step back from your anger and hurt feelings for a moment to think about what I'm saying. I'm not saying this to poke at you or criticize you; I'm saying it because I think it can help.

I went through a much too long period of my life when I would become very upset when other people didn't take my misery seriously (or I perceived that they did not). In hindsight, I can say that sometimes this was a case of people being callous or insensitive towards a very real problem, but at other times it was something else that I didn't really understand and/or couldn't accept at the time. Sometimes people could see my upset feelings, but also could see that they really were the product of my misreading a situation, or that I was getting stuck in feeling vindicated in my miserable-ness rather than letting it go and finding a way out. Sometimes people were standing right in front of me (metaphorically speaking) offering sympathy and help, in the form of showing me ways that I could simply let it go, either walk away from the situation or (with practice) remain in a situation and yet let certain aspects of it NOT be my problem.

So, right now you're feeling like you were made "the butt of jokes" and "a target of accusations and insults", and that people have subjected you to "mockery and insults". I have to say that that seems extreme to me...but I also know that at a certain time in my life, I would probably have felt the same. You're feeling very wounded, that's clear. Whether that feeling is justified or not is another matter altogether, and my honest feeling is that it isn't really helpful to dwell on that argument, from either side. "Proving" that you're justified in feeling miserable will do nothing to diminish the misery -- you might hope that it would cause all those other people out there to come to their senses and stop being such buttheads, but it rarely (if ever) works out that way. And "proving" that you're not justified in feeling miserable doesn't help either, not in the moment, because it doesn't tell you how to work from where you are (instead it sounds a lot like an argument that you simply shouldn't have been there in the first place).

I tend to think that if you can drop the need to justify, the rest of the problem tends to sort itself out -- not immediately, and not without discomfort, but you do become aware that there is a third way. That may not be where you're at right now, but I'll offer two suggestions that may be a little easier to work with:
  1. Don't hold onto those feelings too hard. They have a way of becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you are too ready to believe that this is the interaction you are having with people, you will tend to stuff all interactions into those misery-shaped boxes.
  2. Don't allow yourself to take pleasure in misery (closely related to 1, but there's a subtle and important difference). There is gratification of a sort in the feeling of vindication and righteous indignation...but it's much like the gratification you get from poking at an infected wound: yes, it sure does hurt, you sure are wounded, you were right about that...and you just made it worse. Learn to take pleasure in healing instead (this is much, much harder than it sounds like).
Here are a couple of videos that I've found helpful. I hope you'll find the time to watch some of them and that they'll help you too. The connection may not be at all obvious, but it's there and I'm happy to talk about it if you like...I just don't want to yammer about it all over the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312oBat6MXs&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buTrsK_ZkvA
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #89
ninjaqutie
 
ninjaqutie's Avatar
Dojo: Searching for a new home
Location: Delaware (<3 still in Oregon!)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,003
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I didn't want to leave Aikido and it was a huge dilemma. I was irritated and miserable by the change and the choices I faced. It made me unhappy..... I have not been in the Aikido world long. I haven't met many others who do Aikido outside my dojo.
I think some of the reaction came to you saying conflicting statements. You first said you didn't like your dojo, but you didn't want to leave because you felt you had made progression, you knew people, etc, etc. All of these things are understandable, but then you made a complete 180 and said that you were leaving aikido all together because all aikido dojos must be the same. It sounds.... a bit odd.

If aikido was something you truly enjoyed and wanted to continue with, you wouldn't write aikido off all together and wash your hands of it. You would be looking for somewhere else to train. You say that the dojo people will remain your friends when you leave to play rugby. Do you think they won't maintain that friendship if you join another aikido dojo?

Perhaps the real question here is are you not able to leave your little bubble of comfort. Sure, you aren't happy where you are, but you are still comfortable there. It is like staying in a relationship you aren't happy with because well… you can say you are still in a relationship and after all, you DID put in quite a bit of your time into that relationship. If you broke up with said person, would you stop dating all together forever? I wouldn't think so. You may take a sabbatical, but you wouldn't stay single forever would you? Perhaps you can take a break from aikido, but the real question you should be asking yourself is are you afraid to start over again? Are you willing to put your trust in someone else again and hope they will steer you down the path you are hoping to take?

Honestly, sure in all essence you will be starting anew. You will be at a new dojo, training with new people and there will be a new way of doing things. However, that doesn't mean that your aikido knowledge will be completely wiped away. Even if the dojo goes about a technique differently, you are bound to find some familiarity within the technique via movement, finding your center, using your hips, etc, etc. So again…. I ask you, are you scared?

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
If I find a dojo with people like you guys in it I will be sure to join and resume Aikido.
Well that is a refreshing statement and perhaps yet ANOTHER complete 180.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #90
Basia Halliop
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 711
Canada
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
I think some of the reaction came to you saying conflicting statements. You first said you didn't like your dojo, but you didn't want to leave because you felt you had made progression, you knew people, etc, etc. All of these things are understandable, but then you made a complete 180 and said that you were leaving aikido all together because all aikido dojos must be the same. It sounds.... a bit odd.
IMO, that's not really that unusual. Often people who feel strongly about something can have a strong reaction against it if they become disillusioned. That kind of all-or-nothing feeling seems to happen to a lot of people in all kinds of situations.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #91
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I see, I was naive in coming here thinking I wasn't going to be the butt of jokes and a target for accusations and insults.
Welcome to the internet!
Also, for what little it may be worth, I'd just like to suggest there may have been communication problems on all sides here. The more you explained, the more I found exception with (e.g. lazy matt and bagogab are me).
That said, seriously, have fun! Rugby looks like a lot of fun, and if you're playing full-contact, you'll probably be able to still work on how to negotiate a particular variety of incoming physical force anyway. I'm not sure exactly why you were interested in Aikido, but that's usually one of the more popular reasons.
The essence of my advice is simply to not shut yourself off from possibilities: assume nothing...and may i suggest you not transfer your resentment onto other situations/dojos.
Best of luck!
Matthew


Quote:
Basia wrote:
IMO, that's not really that unusual. Often people who feel strongly about something can have a strong reaction against it if they become disillusioned. That kind of all-or-nothing feeling seems to happen to a lot of people in all kinds of situations.
One of the reasons I felt compelled to respond was because of this. The language reminds me of a best friend of mine who tends to respond with that all-or-nothing quality...Hopefully that association didn't skew my perception too much.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-20-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #92
C. David Henderson
Location: Santa Fe New Mexico
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 606
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

You know, it seems to me there's nothing wrong with OP or aikido, but they're probably not well suited to one another. In my experience, training has certain phases that test your commitment. If someone decides to stop training altogether because it didn't work out after six to nine months (or a year or two) at their first dojo, that may very well have been the best choice for them. Why spend another year or two before running out of motivation again?

Well, there is the opportunity to learn about yourself, but I bet OP's life will provide plenty of opportunities for that -- everyone's does.

I've kept up because I'm stubborn -- see, there's that self-awareness coming to the fore...

BTW, Mary, I really appreciated what you wrote -- for your insight, for sharing it, and for your compassion. I hope it was/is received with that in mind.

cdh

David Henderson
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #93
Shadowfax
 
Shadowfax's Avatar
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 884
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
I'm going to comment on this, and I hope you can step back from your anger and hurt feelings for a moment to think about what I'm saying. I'm not saying this to poke at you or criticize you; I'm saying it because I think it can help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312oBat6MXs&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buTrsK_ZkvA
Hey Mary. Just wanted to say that I really appreciated your post and the links you shared very much.

For the OP... Well I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for. But I wish you would at least try visiting some other dojo to see that they are not all like this one you are at. I'd hate to see you lave with such a skewed impression of what aikido is all about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #94
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,639
Online
Re: Japanezsing

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I have taken Aikido for a year. Ok, more like a 8 months to be honest. I don't attend every class meeting per month. There is a reason for that and that is because the dojo is turning Japanezing. That is the term I have for it. Let me explain, it will help with what my complaint is.

Japanezing isn't a bad thing. It is when my class decides there isn't enough Japanese feel in or to the dojo. Several months back the Sensei and the two senior students start to make small changes to the decor of the Dojo. They started to turn the strip mall space we called a dojo into a gaudy Japanese restaurant. Previously, our old space had the feel of an NPR piece; innocuous bland and mediocre decor avoid of anything Japanese (or anything else for that matter) other then a framed picture of O'Sensei sitting on a shelf with a vase and silk vegetation of some sort in a small white vase. And the floor was covered in mats. There was nothing special about the dojo.

Then they started sprinkling in Japanese words and terms beyond the terms of techniques, sensei, and dojo. Like for example, the other day they started using all these Japanese terms from their pocket Rosette Stone. Instead of calling each other my the first name, they slap on "San and Sama" constantly. Joseph-"san" is now the name of one of the senior students, instead of Joseph. We have to address each other in this way. Expect for a select few who are addressed as sama. Every chance they get, they use a Japanese word tangled up in their English to replace nouns, like the bathroom, and major body parts.

The Japanese Renaissance Festival is everyday. Their street clothes are Hopi coats or something like that. Then there is the Ninja pants to go along with it. They wear tabi or wooden sandals with white socks. It is Disney on parade or either "It's the Small World" exhibit coming to life. I can't decide. I am waiting for next week when someone is going to sport a top-knot and where Kabuki make-up.

I mean, we wore heavy white pajamas in the dojo with belts. We train bare-footed, Hakama's wore are black You noticed I said wore, using the past tense or ware. Yep if you didn't guess it, the senior students and the sensei look like they walked out of some Japanese Fellini Anime Samurai film.

I could go on with all the other Japanezing oddities that have arisen in the dojo. Per my good judgement sighting I think you got the picture, I will not. I don't think a bit of Japanese accent here and there is a problem, But let's not be who we are not; we are not Japanese. Let's shift back into reality, it is nice to play dress up like for Halloween or a custom party for an evening. Or perhaps, indulge in the occasional a fantasy escape of a Bronte Sister. Though I think Japanezing your life becomes a full time profession that is an issue, isn't it?

Yes, I am annoyed by this paradigm shift. And I have asked myself if what is really going on is a matter of me not liking change. I don't think so, it isn't a matter of change its self, it is a matter of what the change is. I summized with all my mental powers that this is definitely a direction I feel comfortable with. I don't think this shift to being Japanese Renaissance Fair Headquarters positively effects training. Perhaps, I am wrong in my evaluation. Maybe I am afraid of change and comfortable with the dojo as it was. I should realize that, and get on the Samurai Aikido wagon like everyone else. Should I be annoyed, should I be concerned, of these new ways of my dojo being the true way as it should be? Or, should I go against the flow and place a wake up call?
No one "for real" acts this way. All I can say is "Danger! Will Robinson, Danger!"

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #95
jonreading
 
jonreading's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 893
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

The thought of George flailing his arms on some desolate planet with green women is too much...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #96
Randy Sexton
Dojo: Aikido of Lake Keowee
Location: South Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 187
United_States
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

My advice is to just to continue to enjoy the training and continue to blend in as you personally feel comfortable. It sounds as though Sensei is trying to have the dojo have a "feel of Japan" but perhaps needs to remember the basis rule of decorating simplicity which can create a wonderful mood rather than be gaudy.
Things may run their natural course and eventually reach a sense of Japanese tradition with its wonderful style and sophistication without trying to turn everyone into Japanese; rather allowing them to be various individuals all practicing a wonderful martial art with roots in Japan.

Doc Sexton
p.s. "If it does not, then bow and leave and find a new Dojo."

Last edited by Randy Sexton : 11-03-2010 at 04:46 AM.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will"
Gandhi
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #97
Michael Douglas
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 402
United Kingdom
Offline
Re: Japanezsing

I enjoyed that inconclusive thread.
I'm wondering what the OP's first language is ...

Rugby is good for your Aikido, anyway.
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate