Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland
Haragei

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
It involves gut feelings, but elevated to an "art," haragei being "belly art," more or less. It also involves "broadcasting" one's own feelings to others and using your own hara to influence others, as Eric pointed out.

David
Further to David's excellent explanations, there's a book in English on the subject called "The Unspoken Way". It manages to be very informative and very infuriating at the same time.

I think Professor Goldsbury mentioned the book somewhere on this forum.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Haragei

Quote:
Oisin Bourke wrote: View Post
Further to David's excellent explanations, there's a book in English on the subject called "The Unspoken Way". It manages to be very informative and very infuriating at the same time.

I think Professor Goldsbury mentioned the book somewhere on this forum.
Yep. "The Unspoken Way Haragei: Silence in Japanese Business and Society".

I read that about 20 years ago and it turned on some lights for me. Of course, it's not something I've ever fully understood. It's a deep subject and most of my ideas and the posts I made on the other thread come from that book by Michihiro Matsumoto.

I'd put that book among the top ten "must reads" if you want to get past a superficial understanding of Japanese culture.

Thanks, Oisin.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello David,

Is this the same book, or it is a sequel, also by Matsumoto?

The book I possess was published in 1984 by Kodansha and is called simply Haragei. The first 119 pages are in English, but the Japanese original starts from the other end and goes up to page 155. This is quite convenient, really, since you have the two versions end to end and students of Japanese can check the translation.

One of the reasons non-Japanese find the book infuriating is probably the style in which it is written. This is usually called 起承転結 (ki-shou-ten-ketsu) and is the accepted Japanese way of writing essays, novels, even science reports. In English translation the logic seems to evaporate. At present I am reading Kosaka Wado's books on the Takeuchi Documents, which are a 'scientific' version of something like Deguchi's Reikai Monogatari: a western version of the Da Vinci Code, but which goes back '3000 oku nen' (300,000,000,000 years). This is also written in the 起承転結 style and the diagrams and illustrations give the book a superficial impression of plausibility.

Matsumoto's book is too closely tied to cross-cultural communication and business negotiation, so a better discussion of hara in English can be found in Takie Sugiyama Lebra's The Japanese Self in Cultural Logic, published in 2004.

PAG

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Yep. "The Unspoken Way Haragei: Silence in Japanese Business and Society".

I read that about 20 years ago and it turned on some lights for me. Of course, it's not something I've ever fully understood. It's a deep subject and most of my ideas and the posts I made on the other thread come from that book by Michihiro Matsumoto.

I'd put that book among the top ten "must reads" if you want to get past a superficial understanding of Japanese culture.

Thanks, Oisin.

David

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 05-14-2010 at 09:00 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Now this is funny (from a review on Amazon)
"And, for the record, most Japanese businessmen I know think that 'Haragei' involves drawing a face on your tummy."

Samui!

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

A couple of linguistic points on the word haragei:
- yes there is a kind of game called haragei drawing a face on your stomach and moving it to speak.
- it can also be used for wily politicians who arrange to get things done without having clearly discussed what and why.
- the word has rather negative connotations for Japanese people because it implies a difference between what you say or do and what you really think.

The concept itself.is important in Japanese society as David and Peter said. I found out the hard way. Once shortly after we were married my wife asked me if I wanted a bath and I innocently said no. Wrong answer. It turned out she was really saying please have a bath first and get out of the way so the women can have a relaxed bath without worrying about the time. Right. Got it.

By the way in Japanese young people's slang now that would be called KY... That's short for "Kuki Yomenai!!!" Kuki means the situation and Yomenai means can't read...

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
niall

Japan

This is an interesting interview with Chiba Sensei. He mentions wordless communication in passing:

ishin denshin, which means something like "communication as if two people had the same mind."

http://www.aikidoonline.com/articles...tions_budo.php

Last edited by niall : 05-16-2010 at 05:48 PM.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Is this the same book, or it is a sequel, also by Matsumoto?

The book I possess was published in 1984 by Kodansha and is called simply Haragei. The first 119 pages are in English, but the Japanese original starts from the other end and goes up to page 155. This is quite convenient, really, since you have the two versions end to end and students of Japanese can check the translation.
Peter, I found the book in all English, about 1990, 92 or so.

Quote:
One of the reasons non-Japanese find the book infuriating is probably the style in which it is written. This is usually called 起承転結 (ki-shou-ten-ketsu) and is the accepted Japanese way of writing essays, novels, even science reports. In English translation the logic seems to evaporate. At present I am reading Kosaka Wado's books on the Takeuchi Documents, which are a 'scientific' version of something like Deguchi's Reikai Monogatari: a western version of the Da Vinci Code, but which goes back '3000 oku nen' (300,000,000,000 years). This is also written in the 起承転結 style and the diagrams and illustrations give the book a superficial impression of plausibility.
That could spawn quite a social movement in Japan, as The DaVinci Code has done in the West.

Quote:
Matsumoto's book is too closely tied to cross-cultural communication and business negotiation, so a better discussion of hara in English can be found in Takie Sugiyama Lebra's The Japanese Self in Cultural Logic, published in 2004.
Very interesting. I need to read that to understand my wife better.

Thanks immensely.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
...a better discussion of hara in English can be found in Takie Sugiyama Lebra's The Japanese Self in Cultural Logic, published in 2004.
I just ordered it from Barnes and Noble (cheaper than Amazon). Looks very interesting. Here is a review, for those who might be interested:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/anthrop....4borovoy.html

It sounds like this book will join "Sword and Chrysanthemum" and "Mirror, Jewel and Sword" as prime guides to Japanese culture and character.

An excerpt from the review:

""(The author) was trained as a sociologist in the heyday of structural functionalism, and this influence is plainly on display in the formalized view of self that provides the book's architecture. Venn diagrams and charts with circulating arrows populate the book. Students who are new to Japan will appreciate the clarity with which Lebra reveals the abutting worlds of "official" ceremonial appearances and hidden, backroom dealings, and her analysis of how the two are intertwined. In this endeavor, Lebra does not shy away from the very real issues of social fragmentation and corruption that face Japan today. For example, she includes police corruption and domestic violence as examples of the darker side of Japanese paternalism. Her discussion of wedding ceremonies as a form of "self display" includes not only a discussion of traditional ritual but also an example of the bridegroom, recently laid off, who hires an actor to play the "boss'" at his wedding. By developing and expanding the now-familiar uchi/soto (inside/outside) and ura/omote (back/front) dichotomies that have been popular in postwar Japan anthropology, Lebra sheds light on a vast range of otherwise unrelated social institutions and practices—including welfare reform, school discipline, domestic violence, corporate restructuring, mother-child suicide, seniority promotion, divorce, police violence and benevolence, attention to hierarchy in Japanese language, standardized patterns in Noh theater, and treatment of alzheimer's patients, to name only some.""

I think this will help me to better understand not only my wife, but my ex-wife, too.

Thanks, Peter.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
.....By the way in Japanese young people's slang now that would be called KY... That's short for "Kuki Yomenai!!!" Kuki means the situation and Yomenai means can't read...
I always heard and was confirmed by my Japanese wife that KY was "kuko yomi"...to read the air. Feel what is being said/done/implied/etc....without it actually being spelled out for you.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
niall

Japan

No - not with school and university students at least.
KY means not catching what's going on.

http://www.coolslang.com/Words/WordD...mName=Japanese

Last edited by niall : 05-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.

w b yeats