Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #101
YogaRen
Dojo: The little dojo in the Woods.
United_States
Re: My gi makes me look fat.

I rather like how I look in a keikogi, and in white in general.

I practice yoga full time as well. My "other uniform" is quite - um... small - in comparison to a keikogi. I see plenty of myself in a mirror every day and maybe I am desensitized to it. Although I do not train in front of a mirror in the dojo. I train with all boys. I'm proud to be the only girl on the mats. I do wear a modest (and very affective) sports bra under my jacket in case of any wardrobe malfunctions. However, my jacket seems to stay just fine. I tie my obi rather high, right at my ribs. It stays, the jacket stays and I like it there. I am of the "all waist and no legs" body type and the boxy jacket sort of makes me look like I have no shoulders. But I figure it's a training uniform, and I wear it with pride.

Wear your gi with confidence. It's not your body (the way you look) that your uke should be paying attention to anyway.

Trusting the process.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #102
mari
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Mark Peckett wrote: View Post
I don't know how long you've been practising, Victoria - but since you joined this forum quite recently I'll assume you're new. Beginners tend to tie their belts at their waist, and it does tend to make men look as if they have very long legs, and women look as if they have a large bust.

Just a suggestion, but try tying your belt around your hips with the knot firmly at your one point, and then tug your jacket down underneath. This might help.

I hate mirrors in the dojo because they make the light shine off my bald head!
With all due respect, please do not advise a woman to tie her belt accross the hips. That just doesn't work for women, i've tried it
The whole pile of belt, hakama, pants just ends up at your waist anyway, because is the closest narrow part of the body, and it is quite uncomfortable. But i would say, that is the advise every guy in a dojo should get, its quite fashion forward too.. i guess
Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #103
Azz
Australia

My gi makes me look fat too Victoria. It is by far the least flattering outfit in my entire wardrobe. Luckily I am having far too much fun on the mat to care all that much and I am really happy and quite vain ( in a modest sort of way?) in general and figure I look awesome anywhere anyway .
My hair also won't stay in its pony tail during training and I quite often look as if I have been dragged backward through a hedge while rubbing my face in beetroot. Flattering.. NOT. Good thing I like to larf at myself.
However, we do have a mirror in our dojo and it's the best mirror ever. One side (the left) does a true reflection and the other side (right) is a super stretch slimming mirror. You look about 10 kgs lighter!! Fantastic!! So when I do catch sight of myself looking like a grinning stuffed scarecrow (and care- which is not often) I just sidle over to the right side of the mirror and feel even better.
Now before everyone gets all concerned that this is not a deep or meaningful approach ,I just wanted to express a lighter side to this subject and just have a poke at my own triviality with concerns to wardrobe and appearance in todays society, particularly for women.

Have a blast training everyone,

Azz
Old 12-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #104
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada
Talking Re: My gi makes me look fat.

Does anyone think we should merge this forum with "The Spirituality of Aikido" or should we just go practoce?

Andrew Barron
Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #105
Carrie Campbell
United_States

Possible (hopefully somewhat humorous) Solutions:

1) Wear a larger gi so the waist appears smaller.
2) Practice long enough to wear a darker belt than white.
3) Before you tie your belt, take hold of either side right at the front and extend to squeeze the middle like Mulan when she first dons her dad’s outfit in the movie. It will loosen up by the time you’re done stretching...
4) For keeping the belt down below the waist, build up enough substance around the belly to form a ceiling for the belt to help you keep it down. As you breathe during practice, and it slides up, push it down again. (Possibly counterproductive to looking as thin as normal in a gi...)
5) Sandy, Love the hair.

Last edited by Carrie Campbell : 12-12-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #106
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Carrie Campbell wrote: View Post
2) Practice long enough to wear a darker belt than white.
THAT'S why my gi makes me look fat: HORIZONTAL STRIPES!!! Thanks for solving the mystery, Carrie!
Sensei, may I wear this nice seersucker gi with the vertical pinstripes?

BTW...to add to the litany: when my training advanced enough that I was taking larger rolls, my glasses started falling off. I informed my husband that I was going to look into getting contact lenses for training. Ever practical, he asked "why don't you just get the band that attaches to the eyeglasses to hold them on?" I replied "I don't want to look like a dork!" (apologies to the guys who wear them...) "Now wait a minute," sez my dearly beloved, "you are out there all red in the face and sweaty and your hair limp with sweat and stuffed into heavy white cotton that makes you look 30 pounds heavier than you are...and you are worried about how you look?!" To which I could only quietly and politely say, "well...yes, I am!"

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #107
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
"well...yes, I am!"
Some of us know better than to ask ...

I have 20/200 vision and severe astigmatism. I figure the first thing that's going to happen in a real life scrap is my glasses will go flying so I never train with glasses. Since I don't know what I'm missing it does not bother me. OK, so I have trained a few times with glasses but within minutes the sweat was so think I really could not see at all so had to take them off anyway.

Lots of times I've had to help folks locate their contacts ... some of them pop them into their mouths for a quick rinse and then pop them into their eyes ... disgusting.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #108
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Lots of times I've had to help folks locate their contacts ... some of them pop them into their mouths for a quick rinse and then pop them into their eyes ... disgusting.
Eww, gross.... I use soft lenses, they don't pop out.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #109
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Uck.. me one of my old boyfriends used to do that. He actually swallowed one once!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #110
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

I hope this doesn't violate the commercial posting rule - I'm just a fan/customer, and since we're talking about women's dogi...

http://www.bujindesign.com/ is having a holiday sale. 15% off most (all?) products, including their women's dogi. I have the medium weight one, and love it.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba