Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
The Sands of Erebus

Posted 2006-05-27 12:27:07 by Drew Gardner
News URL: http://www.publishedauthors.net/sands/index.html

This novella is a young, American Aikidoka's search for wisdom and spiritual fulfillment. His sensei has spoken to him in a riddle: "A soul is both clarified and invigorated where two kinds of saltwater meet ten thousand gallons of fresh water." Will Jackson ever make sense of this?

From the chapter entitled Sushi Sympathy:
"Though it lacked a blade, the jo was clearly formidable in its own right. He was walking out the door with it when his roommate, Paco, said, "What's that for? Are you going hiking?"
"No, it's a practice weapon for that martial art I told you about," Jack responded.
"Oh it's for that akita, then?"
"No, it's much to heavy for a dog to fetch, it's for EYE-KEY-DOE."
..."Aikido is the martial art of peace."
"Mira, that's one of the most oxymoronic contradictions I've ever heard. Now, in the least literal sense, take that broomstick and go break a leg at your class. Tell me more about this uhkito someday."

To view the synopsis and a brief biography, and for purchasing guidance, kindly visit http://www.publishedauthors.net/sands/index.html

Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: The Sands of Erebus

Congratulations on your book Drew.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Suru
United_States
Ai symbol Re: The Sands of Erebus

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Congratulations on your book Drew.
Thanks John; that means quite a bit to me. Writing and editing was the hard part, as it should be. Working with PublishAmerica to get it in print was smoother than I could've ever imagined. I'm so grateful for them that I wish I could just erase their negative publicity right off the Net.

Drew
Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Beau
United_States

Congrats Drew!! We miss you back in Tally.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

somebody actually said that to me, last week :"what's it called? akita?"
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Suru
United_States

Since an akita is a Japanese dog, at least the person got the country right! For anyone passing through Tallahassee, check out the FSU Aikido Club and North Florida Aikikai. You might just run into Beau-san, a shining example of the blending of strength and softness in our beloved art.

Drew
Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Suru
United_States
My First Review

Review for 'The Sands of Erebus'
Nathan
Phoenix, Arizona (6/24/2006) I believe that there are special little treats in that given to us in this life; ones that are unnalloyed, that remind us of perhaps our first romantic encounter could be a part of our own spiritual journey. 'The Sands of Erebus', by Drew Gardener elicits that feeling to me. When I first hold the book in my hands I look at the cover with awe: it is a tranquil cover of pink and lavender, that shows the image of a hourglass. Now, many have said that one should not judge a book by its cover - and this is true - but I believe in the holistic approach that everything in a book should be inportant - after all, I will be reminded of the significance of its content: that the days of our life are as sands of time; that the philosophical bitter-sweet reality is that of which the Enigma lyrics ask: 'Why do the good ones go away?' The answer one will find out in this book, is that yes, the good ones often do go away; however we should have the knowledge that, even though the "good ones" sometimes do go away it is meant to be. What I am trying to get at is the fact that this book shows us that everything we do in life will bring us to that point in which a meaning should be bestowed upon us by our higher being, arriving from perhaps, the most banal aspects of one's life> In this book, Jackson Muldoone questions when he will meet the girl of his dreams. On the way to that goal, he begins to ponder life and the deeper aspects of what it has in store for him. What he finds out in the end is a big surprise, a revelation concerning his ulitimate happiness, the self-actualization that we all seek. This is the answer to the enigma.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
Suru
United_States

"The Sands of Erebus" has just made it to the shelf at an independent, though by no means insignificant, store in Coral Gables, FL called Books & Books. The store's website is, you guessed it, BooksandBooks.com. Thanks to all who have contributed to my work. KIAI !!!

Drew
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Congratulations.
I will pick up a copy.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
Suru
United_States

This is something that has been irking me for many years, and I've finally thought of posting it here.

I am not sure exactly why I didn't place "Aikido and the Harmony of Nature," by Mitsugi Saotome on my acknowledgments page of this book. For some reason I only included the title within the text. I paraphrased a few times from Saotome's work, and I believe his masterpiece clearly belongs with my other acknowledgments. If there is a second printing of my book, I will remedy the situation.

Drew