Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
ALine Filipe
Dojo: Academia Portuguesa de Aikido
Portugal
Naginata

hi there!!

i've always felt kinda amazed any time i saw a naginata. i live in Portugal. I looked at the internet and it seems like there's no one in here that teaches it. I love aikido and i won't give up of if but i'd like to know more about and train some weapons (naginata is the first but i'd like to know how to handle sais too).

Do you think there would be any problem? I don't want to be a "jack of all trades" if you know what i mean...

I have other question: do you know about any school that can teach it in Portugal or, if you don't know any, in Europe?

Hugs

Aline Filipe
Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Naginata

Sorry, don't know Portugal, but I think Naginata is a very interesting weapon and apparently Ueshiba did teach some Naginata work, even though he had never been properly trained in it himself (apparently he applied the aiki priciples to its use).

And, no, I can't see it interfering with your aikido

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Hello Alilne!

I had a hard time finding any information myself regarding Naginata instructors in Portugal. I found an international organization that listed on in France:

http://www.geocities.com/la_fnag/naginata.html French web-site

I also know that the Bujinkan have two schools in Portugal, but I don't know for sure if they teach Naginata. Probably Sai also.

It has been recommended to me several times by many black belts to NOT cross train until I have a firm grasp on my shodan in aikido. I'm inclined to agree with that idea. Aikido is good and will help you learn ukemi as well as to protect yourself in other ways when practicing martial arts. Weapons training is fun, but how often do you find yourself walking around in the public with a naginata or sai or katana? It just doesn't happen. Learn to defend yourself with empty hands and then work your way up with the other stuff.

Aikido does use bokken, but so much of what we do is based on the sword. By the time you go to learn weapons full-time, you'll be well grounded.

BUT... if you really want to know more about those weapons, I would contact either that French school regarding naginata or the Bujinkan. From all I have read about the Bujinkan, they have a good reputation and their Soke is legitamite and well respected around the world.

Good luck to you... but keep on training!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Luis Querido
Portugal

Hi!
I'm a fellow aikidoka here in Portugal and also started having naginata lessons last september. As you correctly said there WAS no one teaching naginata here in Portugal, but now we have no less than the european champion here!

She's currently giving classes 2 times a week in Porto and monthly seminars to the students in Lisbon.
If you're still interested send me a PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
lbb
United_States

Sai is a weapon that is traditionally associated with Okinawan karate. If you find it being taught anywhere, most likely that's where it'll be (but you probably will not be able to train without first training empty-hand in the style for some time).
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Timothy WK
United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote: View Post
I also know that the Bujinkan have two schools in Portugal, but I don't know for sure if they teach Naginata. Probably Sai also.
Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Sai is a weapon that is traditionally associated with Okinawan karate.
First off, I do believe there's some sort of naginata work in the Bujinkan, though I don't know how extensive it is.

But second, the Bujinkan does include some *jutte* work, which looks like a sai if you don't know the difference. (A sai has two arms, while a jutte has only one arm and is shaped a little differently.) Schools that teach the jutte aren't very common, though it is a traditional samurai weapon.

--Timothy Kleinert