Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
crbateman

Re: The trials of a fat bloke

Many loose gi's out there... There are some size 6's that are actually larger than other size 8's. I tried on a double-woven size 6 once upon a time (don't remember the brand offhand), and there was still room enough inside it for me to sublet!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #27
JamesC
United_States

Seems like the shorter guys would be the ones to worry about.

I would think they'd be able to take my center that much easier. Not hard to do anyway...
Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #28
jxa127

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
huh, one of the hardest throwers I've ever met, and one of the best aikidoka (in my opinion) was a short, fat, bloke. I wouldn't have said it to his face though (the short, fat part...).
I thought Ron might be talking about me here, but I'm nowhere near the best at anything aikido-related, nor a particularly hard thrower.

Quote:
Actually, another one just popped into my mind...and he's still alive. And would kick my butt if he saw me typing this...
Ah ha! The previous fellow is no longer alive, so I Ron talking about me here? Probably not, there's no way I could kick his butt.

Seriously, I'm 5' 10" and until recently I was between 300 and 325 pounds. I've been training for nearly nine years now and for almost all of that time have been above 300 pounds. I finally got serious about my weight, joined Weight Watchers, and have lost 55 pounds since September 2007. I'm now at 270. My ultimate goal is to get to 200-220 pounds (at least I think that's my goal).

I've always worn a size 7 gi, but some of my gis have fit better than others. My main problem has been that the pants simply don't want to stay up. I've seriously considered using suspenders! I'll probably Bu Jin makes gi pants with elastic waist bands and either zippers or draw strings. I'll probably buy a pair of those when I next need new pants.

As for training, I've written a bit about my weight in my blog here, but basically I really felt I was at a severe disadvantage for a very long time. After attending a couple of seminars taught by Ellis Amdur, I realized that each body type has different advantages and disadvantages. Being big gave me a great deal of stability and a strong center.

The weight loss has changed my aikido, and I'm still not sure how. I feel lighter (duh!) and ukemi is easier. I don't get as winded as I used to get. But I also don't feel as centered or grounded as I used to feel.

I guess I still need to practice.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames