Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-18-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
ScooterSan
United_States
1 lost student, 1 introduction

I am a 25/yo male, Pharmacy Technician by trade, married w/ no kids yet, although aspiring to plan in the near future. My background in MA is a little ecclectic.

As a sapling of 15yo, and a high school wrestler, a friend invited me to his martial arts school and I studied as often as I could (usually on wkends). The style of the art was called Chi Do Quan which is a pretty little blended art of TKD, Kung Fu and Shotokan Karate. Advancement was fairly easy and I made it to just shy of reaching by green belt before the master lost the rented space for the dojo to other needs. With no place to study and no school to learn from, I got away from it for about 6 or 7 years and I attended college/got married in that time frame.

Just before Christmas 2005 I found Ronin Martial Arts where my Sempai Michael Coby taught his very challenging blended art of a blend of Kyokushin Karate, Seido Karate, and Washin Ryu Karate. In the five months I have attended I am now just ready for my yellow belt test. Sempai Coby does not advance easily. Sadly I will not be able to stay with the style for I am relocating out of state and am looking at Aikido.

Hence, I am a lost student stumbled on to your site. I thirst for knowledge, and from what I have been reading via the web Aikido in it's true sense feels right...I think. I'm only 5'3"/175Ilbs. Solid and strong but small in size. Karate sparring is difficult for me b/c I am always working on having to get INSIDE someone w/ long legs and arms..natually very frustrating. I enjoy grappling and sweeps and restraint base holds as well as meditating and doing katas. I have narrowed down my schools of choice between a couple different Aikido schools, 1 karate school (a blend b/t karate, judo, jujitsu, and kendo) and a traditional Kung Fu school which teaches Whushu and Shaolin Kung Fu. If anyone who knows of these styles thinks either Aikido sounds like a good fit for me or not please post of email me at my posted email. I am taking O 'Sensei's advice on this topic which was along the lines of (not an exact quote?) "It should not be measured whether Aikido is the best Art, rather the best Art for YOU."
Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
dekodo
Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo - Miami
Re: 1 lost student, 1 introduction

Quote:
Scott Rose wrote:
Sadly I will not be able to stay with the style for I am relocating out of state and am looking at Aikido.
Where are you relocating to?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

Scott,

Welcome from Nashville, Tn. I would say before you make a final decision visit all 4 schools after you relocate. Watch a full class of each, participate in one or two classes of each, and then you will be better able to determine what is the best art for you.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
ScooterSan
United_States

We'll be moving to the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina. I have checked out a couple of schools via the net. The one school is in Durham and looks real good mainly b/c the price is right and is not "showy". There site is : http://www.choshinkan.com/

While the other school is closer,, I have yet to learn there actual fees ... which is kinda frustrating seeing how I am on a budget. ..there site: http://www.raleighaikido.com/pages/1/index.htm . Coincidently both sites list each other as affliate dojo's and do get together occassionally which is cool but the choshinkan dojo seems more welcoming. I have yet to actually attend as a guest although I am itching to do so.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
akiy

Hi Scott,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

I think the quality of the instructor is often more important than the martial art, but it sounds like you'd actually get an insight by practising a bit of aikido.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

You should consider this one, too: http://www.raleighaikikai.com I haven't been there, but I've met and trained with Chris at seminars and exchanged emails with him about mat construction. He seems like a good guy, and of course Kanai Sensei's style is the most fun! More breakfalls and koshis than you ever thought were possible!!!

Seriuosly, though, check it out.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Amelia Smith wrote:
You should consider this one, too: http://www.raleighaikikai.com I haven't been there, but I've met and trained with Chris at seminars and exchanged emails with him about mat construction. He seems like a good guy, and of course Kanai Sensei's style is the most fun! More breakfalls and koshis than you ever thought were possible!!!

Seriuosly, though, check it out.

I agree with Amelia. I looked at the website and I liked this dojo.

Speaking as an experienced person, this is what would make a difference to me .
http://www.raleighaikikai.com/WebGUI...iew&wid=6&pn=1

The schedule covers a lot of ground giving you more flexibility as when to train.
Also, the USAF is a fine group with lots quality people in it. I hope you go by here as well.

Last edited by Jorge Garcia : 04-19-2006 at 08:16 AM.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 04-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

Scott,
Aikido won't be frustrating for you, since size doen't matter at all. I mean really, I'm 1.65 meters tall and can perfectly practice with guys from 1.20 to 1.95. Sorry I don't know the "feet tall" system, but a 1.95 m. person is VERY tall.
You don't need to be strong or tall or big to apply a pin or throw someone, that's the interesting thing about Aikido. You said you like meditation: you will like Aikido.
I've personally practiced Karate and I can tell you, Aikido is way better and efficient.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
ScooterSan
United_States

Thank you all for your helpful responses,

I have a looked at the Raleigh Aikikai Dojo a few times. It is a little far for where I will be living but the fees are a little higher than I had hoped. That dojo also looks a little um.. this is a poor choice of words for Aikido but. sporty.. which isn't really what I'm looking for. Granted I'll probably pop in and make a visit when I start really looking at schools hard core. I agree with Ian's post regarding the quality of the instructor. Still debabting on whether Aikido is what I am seeking. I have to agree w/ O'Sensei's teachings particularly the ones in bold: O Sensei's rules for training Aikido

Aikido decides life and death in a single strike, so students must carefully follow the instructor's teaching and not compete to see who is the strongest.

Aikido is the way that teaches how one can deal with several enemies. Students must train themselves to be alert not just to the front, but to all sides and the back.

Training should always be conducted in a pleasant and joyful atmosphere.

The instructor teaches only one small aspect of the art. Its versatile applications must be discovered by each student through incessant practice and training.

In daily practice first begin by moving your body and then progress to more intensive practice. Never force anything unnaturally or unreasonably. If this rule is followed, then even elderly people will not hurt themselves and they can train in a pleasant and joyful atmosphere.

The purpose of Aikido is to train mind and body and to produce sincere, earnest people. Since all the techniques are to be transmitted person-to-person, do not randomly reveal them to others, for this might lead to their being used by hoodlums.

Doshu's addendum to the rules

Proper Aikido can never be mastered unless one strictly follows the instructors teaching.

Aikido as a martial art is perfected by being alert to everything going on around us and leaving no vulnerable opening (suki).

Practice becomes joyful and pleasant once one has trained enough not to be bothered by pain.

Do not be satisfied by what is taught at the dojo. One must constantly digest, experiment and develop what one has learned.

One should never force things unnaturally or unreasonably in practice. One should undertake training suited to his body, physical condition and age.

The aim of Aikido is to develop the truly human self. It should not be used to display ego.

I am looking for more a dojo/instructor who can help me strengthen my mental alertness..for me I think that the physical capabilities will naturally dovetall behind it in place. I am happy w/ my physical abilities now, granted I do not seek to be a fitness machine either.

I am going to pick up the book "The Art of Peace" by O'Sensei.. has anybody read it? It seems that it is what I'm looking for . I have read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu and am constantly applying it to real life although I don't think it is healthy mentally to be so...cutthroat. I am much more passive by choice, but am not afraid to be "cutthroat" if necessary. Thoughts?

Scott