Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-16-2005, 02:04 AM   #1
aikido_diver
Australia
Just Had To Share....

Dear All,

Before I begin, I just hope that we are all well! I have decided to post this message about my experience lately with Aikido.

I have been training in Aikido for a little over a year (still a beginner) but I honestly train like many of you, very intensely both at the dojo, and a lot of home study, which includes books, videos, etc. I trained quite intensively at the start doing 3 - 4 nights a week as well as school and springboard diving. However as time went on, I began doing less and less, and found myself barely doing a single class per week. This was due to basically doing too much at the one time, and finding myself not motivated to go. I stopped entirely for about a month and got my life back on track, and prioritized my life again.

I began training again very slowly at the start, and I felt terrible. I couldn't do the things I could, and the techniques that I thought I still knew, I found myself not knowing them at all. However for the last month I have been training 4 - 5 times per week, and this moment in time, it feels great. My personal life has improved incredibly, and I guess its due to the art of aikido.

I train regularly with two top Aikidoka here in Australia - Andrew Sensei (5th Dan) and Roger Sensei (6th Dan). I find dealing with many people when I work, so rude without any human feeling (well most), however I feel so great when I train with my fellow Aikidoka, as they are always wonderful and a pleasure to train with.

So I guess the meaning of this post is basically saying, how appreciative I am to have:
  1. To have found Aikido
  2. That Morihei Ueshiba O'sensei created such a wonderful art.
  3. Have both wonderful, caring teachers and students.

Please post any experience who have had about anything to do with this topic whatever that may be. I hope you're all training well. Thank you and take care.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 AM   #2
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Just Had To Share....

Nice one mate, glad to hear that your training is enriching your life and all that hippy stuff

Everyone has rough patches, everyone feels like they are wasting their time, its the plateau before the ascent. I nearly quit a couple of months ago. Im glad i didnt. Aikido is one of the constants in my life that I can always escape to and all that hippy stuff yadda yadda yadda

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
emma.mason15
Dojo: Shima Arashi Dojo
United Kingdom

i train 4 days a week ... for 5 hours ... and I love it ... i feel more alive on thge days that i train .. than on the days I dont .... im more peaceful ... i can release alot of aggression that i cant in my daily routine (single mum of severe adhd daughter) ... i had a shoulder injury and onli got back on the mats this week .... and I missed it sooo much!
so I agree .... Im grateful too!
Take Ye care
Dory x x x

Dance your cares away .... worry for another day ... let the music play .... down in fraggle rock!

when bored ... do as I do. Poke a patient!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

People in aikido will often talk about peaks, valleys and plateus... I never truly understood this anaology until it repeatedly hit me. I've been in aikido for 3 1/2 years and have seen many times where the learning seemed so hard. I was working my way up toward a peak in my training. Then I'd hit a plateu and things would just seem "ho hum" for a while. Not a lot of change, just doing my thing and felt like I had it down just fine. THEN... I started back down into the valley again. Everything I did seemed to be wrong. My technique? Technique nothin'... I couldn't even walk! Forget about technique!

All through your training, you will more than likely see examples of this. If you truly enjoy aikido, just recognize these times for what they are and push through them. Right now, I'd have to say I'm in a serious valley because I've been off the mat for over a month due to work. I hope to get back in the dojo soon... and when I do, I know it will be a struggle because I'm SURE to be rusty as all hell! But aikido is fun, good exercise, good mental training and I really don't see myself ever just walking away from it. It is too good of an art to do that. Besides... I've got a kid on the way! Gotta teach him/her self defense so they don't grow up to be a wimp like I was. LOL

Old 09-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Dante

Dojo: UNLV Aikido Club (ASU)
United_States

I suppose this happens with all sports, hobbies and interests. In addition to Aikido, I also jog, golf, swim laps and play the violin and piano. Let me tell you - the ups and downs happen to all of these. The thing to remember, at least for me, is to keep a positive attitude and don't sweat it. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself. Now where's did I put that 9 iron I bent in aggrivation at the 13th hole?

Cheers.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
Robert Jackson
Dojo: seishinkan

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
People in aikido will often talk about peaks, valleys and plateus... I never truly understood this anaology until it repeatedly hit me. I've been in aikido for 3 1/2 years and have seen many times where the learning seemed so hard. I was working my way up toward a peak in my training. Then I'd hit a plateu and things would just seem "ho hum" for a while. Not a lot of change, just doing my thing and felt like I had it down just fine. THEN... I started back down into the valley again. Everything I did seemed to be wrong. My technique? Technique nothin'... I couldn't even walk! Forget about technique!

All through your training, you will more than likely see examples of this. If you truly enjoy aikido, just recognize these times for what they are and push through them. Right now, I'd have to say I'm in a serious valley because I've been off the mat for over a month due to work. I hope to get back in the dojo soon... and when I do, I know it will be a struggle because I'm SURE to be rusty as all hell! But aikido is fun, good exercise, good mental training and I really don't see myself ever just walking away from it. It is too good of an art to do that. Besides... I've got a kid on the way! Gotta teach him/her self defense so they don't grow up to be a wimp like I was. LOL
Of course you're in a serious valley Bozz... It has nothing to do with you not being able to train for a month.. and all to do with not practicing you vacuum waza! ... Hehe hope to train with you again Soon!

Oh into the OP. Glad to hear Aikido has made a difference in your life. Doing to much at one time can overwhelm you preventing progress in everything... remember the basics in aikido 'Balance is key'
Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Ahh... Robert! Remind me to show you a technique that Randy Sensei showed me a few weeks ago. I think you'll appreciate it! It's SO MUCH FUN!