Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2003, 10:52 PM   #26
Irony
Dojo: Aikido Center of Atlanta
BA in English (creative writing)

I was a Jazz studies major (I play two instruments)

Was briefly an Asian Studies minor

Do occasional web design work.

Seems like a lot of people are either in creative or computer-related fields.

Chris Pasley
Old 09-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #27
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
BA in Microbiology, minor in Chemistry;

I used my degree for 7 months making transgenic mice for multiple sclorosis research at Washington University Medical School. I soon realized that I was doing things that not many other people can do and yet was getting paid the same as somebody that was flipping hamburgers. So I followed the money and went to work in the Utilities industry. I was a non-licensed operator at a nuclear power plant (PWR) for three years. Now I'm an enviornmental analyst/chemist at a fossil power plant. I do admit though that Asian Philosophy was probably my favorite class in college. And for you Philosophy majors out there: if anybody asks you what you can do with a philosophy degree, you tell them "anything I want!"

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:54 AM   #28
Gecko
Dojo: Aikido Northwest/Portland, OR
United_States
Political Science - BA But Iwork in the insurance industry, which is rather stressful.

I', also an Air National Guradsman and do tecommunications and computor work there.

Last edited by Gecko : 09-19-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #29
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England
Bsc Physics,

Now working in web development and hosting

Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 AM   #30
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
Ten years studying & performing Dance, probably have enough credit or an MFA by now but academic classes do not agree with me.

Self-employed designer/contract artisan/model.

If i was an academic type probably would've studied linguistics/semantics/logic...but now i'm more interested in avoiding the argument alltogether...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 09-23-2003, 02:06 PM   #31
bca333
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
Long history of taking classes that interest me and ignoring core curriculum or graduation requirements; that explains 150 credit hours and NO degree. Studied math through multivariable calculus and differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology, history, and legal studies. Recently grew up and currently aimed at a BS degree in Social Sciences/ History concentration. We'll see.

Brad
Old 09-23-2003, 08:25 PM   #32
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Ordinary "working Joe".

(shrug)

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:46 PM   #33
JeffBayard
Hmmmm, when I was still in the process of pursuing my degrees, usually my favorite answer to "So what are you taking up in college?" was "Space."

Let's seeeee, B.A. in "Applied Music" (performance) with a major on classical piano and a double minor on classical guitar and voice. Mus.M. in Jazz/Commercial Music (performance concentration) concentrating on jazz guitar. But shhhhhh! People will think I'm better than I really am! (laughing!) I like to view my degrees similar to high ranking martial artists that say "A belt is to hold up your pants." College degrees help you get jobs, you can learn a lot in the process of getting them, they're certainly accomplishments that are the result of hard work (and plunging into debt), but I don't think they unwaveringly give a clear indication of an individual's level of knowledge and abilities. I wouldn't mind getting a doctorate, though. I've still got lots more to learn, plus a doctorate would be kind of funny, too. Get my doctorate on guitar, "Is there a doctor in the house!" "Yes!" (takes out guitar and starts doing "Cumbaya" or something) I might not be able to perform CPR, but at least I could add some levity to the situation.

But anyway, I digress (I could probably get a doctorate in digressing!). I'm not sure if there's a connection between my interest in music and my interest in martial arts, though it follows the common thread of the arts in the general sense. Interesting question to bring up though! Nice thread, Ari!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 PM   #34
Suzanne Cooper
Dojo: Retsushinkan Dojo/Alabama
BA English (Humanities), Minor in Spanish (Language), professed Secular Discalced Carmelite.

I got guts, yes I do. I do aikido--do YOU?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:14 AM   #35
Ari Bolden

Dojo: Victoria Jujitsu Academy
Canada
Thanks for all the replies (no worries Jeff B.).

While I find aikido to be really amazing, we are more than just aikido. Getting to know about our fellow aikidoka gives us a greater insight into ourselves.

Cheers!!

Ari

(I'll see if I can come up with another thread...)

Old 09-25-2003, 09:52 AM   #36
Arieru

Dojo: The Center City Dojo
i got my ba in history with a 2x minor in latin american studies and spanish. i did a little work in japanese history and language as an undergrad. i am working on my phd in history as we speak.

not that any of this has anything to do with my job that is ...

Last edited by Arieru : 09-25-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #37
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
A.S. business; BS business; MBA with human resources management concentration; DC (doctor of chiropractic); post graduate training in non-surgical orthopedics. Perpetual student.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:36 AM   #38
jgros
diversity

Wow, this is a really interesting post!

I am currently a 3rd year Computer Engineering student at UCIrvine. To tell you the truth I am surprised there are so many humanities/socialscience type degrees, such as our Philosophy and our English, Spanish, Music, etc. I expected a few physical science types such as our Physics, MircroBiology and such, but that English degree really took me by surprise. I always thought that 4/5th of aikidoka were Engineering/ICS (information and computer science- specifically software) and usually the other 1/5th is the scientist. Everyone aikidoka Ive ever physically met follows this trend. But Ive only been to a few dojos in South Cali, so maybe its a California thing. The only person Ive met that somewhat qualifies as a humanities/socialsciences type is a Psychology grad. Its great to see some diversity!..Not to mention that Engineers arent usually pleasing to the eye...

Jeff
Old 09-26-2003, 02:11 AM   #39
jeda
B.A. Anthropology with an emphasis on Great Basin Archaeology. Senior Project was the rehousing and reanalization of site number 42SV633. Bastard of a site. Took me three years.

Profession- Event Marketing and Public Relations with a background in graphic design.

I'm not quite sure how the two mesh.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:12 AM   #40
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
BA in english, minor in history, concentration in '3rd world' and Africa in particular. Did some grad study in Kenya in Africa Literature.

Now I work with computers, go figure.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-05-2003, 12:40 PM   #41
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
I'm currently in the process of declaring my majors and they are: Religious Studies and Traditional Eastern Arts (with a concentration in Aikido.) I plan go to go on to get a M.A. in Indo-Tibetan Buddhism.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 10-05-2003, 01:21 PM   #42
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
BA in Hotels Administration minor in Planification/Marketing

Finishing next year BA Business Administration

Pretoriano
Old 10-05-2003, 02:41 PM   #43
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Im a second year under graduate in Film and Media Studies BA (yes, I am a slacker on one of those fake loser courses )

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:48 PM   #44
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
background

I was a mom.....now that my kids are grown I am a part time gramma, I work at the library and teach self-defense and Aikido.

Mary
Old 10-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #45
Liz Baron
Dojo: Bury Aikido Club
United Kingdom
I made the mistake of trying to take a degree in biochemistry and chemistry, and failed miserably.

I then trained for three years with "a well-known British broadcasting organisation" , as a Technical Recording Operator (VTR operations etc), and worked there for 13 years, changing to studio engineering operations (Vision Ops) from 1996 onwards. When they closed my department in Manchester (2001) they transferred us all into a new company where I do the same job.

Usually I have some form of "extra-curricular" interest happening which can be pretty varied, so I've passed the Radio Amateur's Exam (station callsign G7MRC), and done a course in blacksmithing too. I'm self-taught on the wood lathe, and build the odd guitar for fun.

Now all I need is to build a bigger workshop...

L

Windcheetah 176
"Handbuilt by Daleks..."
Old 10-06-2003, 06:22 PM   #46
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
Background

First, 3 years of Art major, with a minor in Equestrian Studies (horsemanship)

next, BS in Occupational Therapy

Now: working towards MS in OT
Old 10-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #47
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
BA in Liberal arts

Post Grad SpEd classes

Currently Installed Sales and Service manager at a Building Supplies Co.

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 10-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #48
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
BFA in Gen. Fine Arts; and a BA in Human Ecology.

Mostly, I teach. I am blessed with a part-time job teach a college-course in Elementary Aikido (which may end, with the imminent budget-cuts).

I also teach drawing classes to kids through adults. On my own, I do mostly 2-D media (drawing, painting, mixed-media).
Old 10-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #49
TheFallGuy
Dojo: Jyushinkan - Logan, Utah
Let's see. Where to begin my CV?

Ok. I graduated from High School with a Certified Nurse's Aide Certificate. I thought I wanted to go into Med school, but changed my mind. Then I spent two years in Siberia, actually in the Ural Mountains (Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Ufa). Came back wanted to do Biology, but I couldn't think of how I could support myself with a Biology Degree. So, I switched over to Business Information Systems. Got a Bachelor of Arts (normally it's Bachelor of Science) with a minor in Russian. Before I graduated, I started Aikido. After graduation, I spent several months unemployed, so my sensei convinced me to come back to school, under his "uchideshi" program and do a Masters in Environmental Engineering. I should be finishing next August.

So, in short.

CNA

BA in Business Information Systems

Minor in Russian

Expected MS in Environmental Engineering.

I came
I caused
I seized
----Chaos
Old 10-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #50
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
I've always known that Aikido tends to attract the intellectual types.

Anywhoo, about me:

I was in the Air Force for 4 yrs.

Put my wife through college and now I'm getting my BBA in Computer information systems with a minor in international commerce. I work at a Nuclear Laboratory in computers.

Have played guitar for 16 yrs. Play chess at @1800 level. I'm an aspiring 3d artist.

There's a great many more endeavors that I'm pursuing, however, none are more important than trying to be a good husband and father. Nothing else matters.

%us = map { $_ => q{belong} } @your_base;
http://www.eaglerockaikido.com