Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
jamie yugawa
 
jamie yugawa's Avatar
Location: Hilo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
United_States
Offline
My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

I attended Dan Hardens seminar in Kona Nov 17-18 (We actually spent a couple hours on the 16th also). I never met Dan before but have several guys at my Aikido dojo who have attended several of his seminars already. As far as previous IS/IP practitioners I have met I did touch hands with Sam Chin Sifu earlier this year (Sam is a monster martial artist!!) and have been trying to learn I Liq Chuan on my own with great help from Lipyeow Lim and Ashe Higgs.
On my first meeting with Dan he was a smiling ball of energy whose enthusiasm was quite infectious. He clearly outlined his system and was able to answer all questions to those who asked. We worked upon his methodology of "Pulling silk/Six directions", "Heaven/earth/man", "Winding" "Spiraling", "Open and close", and a couple of others. When working with us trying to teach us he gave great feedback and tips to achieve results. As a beginner I was actually able to feel and notice the changes in my body with great surprise. One of the interesting results was the use of dantien and how he showed us to connect it to our hands. Dan went through great lengths to demonstrate the use of dantien in his body mechanics. He also blasted me off his dantien when I put a fist on it. Simply amazing.
Upon touching hands with Dan it felt as if you could not "Enter" his body or space at all. The feeling which is hard to describe was IMO like "Losing my footing while ice skating on a sphere". I was completely at his mercy and could not get my footing or bearings( Just like Sam Chin Sifu). Dan proceeded to demonstrate the power you can generate through the concepts. I kicked me twice, the first was powerful was a typical kick, the second he demonstrated with the concepts and it felt as if he penetrated deep into the bone and muscle. Yeah it hurt! On another occasion he punched me in my chest normally and then with the body mechanics he teaches. The second one felt like it rung my skeletal structure like a bell and knocked the wind out of my lungs.
Dan was extremely personable and forthcoming with answers on all questions we asked. He even talked about his history in martial arts and how he put together his ideas from training. Dan's general knowledge of martial arts history was also quite impressive as he connected lineages and training methods to show how old some of these concepts actually are. He had great things to say about Morihei Ueshiba and how he developed Aikido. Dan clearly stated that O Sensei was an genius and is the model for which his training is based on. There was zero negativity nor egotistic bravado despite his obvious high skill level of martial prowess and ability. Dan Harden is the real deal and anyone who wants to become a better martial artist should touch hands with him and feel what IP/IS feels like.

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
jamie yugawa
 
jamie yugawa's Avatar
Location: Hilo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Whoops I meant "He kicked me... not "I kicked me...". I think if anyone could make me kick myself, it would be Dan or Sam Sifu!

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
Location: Seattle, WA
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 906
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

I'd rather kick myself than let Dan kick me.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Shinto Ryu Iai Battojutsu
TNBBC Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,013
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
Whoops I meant "He kicked me... not "I kicked me...". I think if anyone could make me kick myself, it would be Dan or Sam Sifu!
Sam had me try to kick him last time he was here - luckily he doesn't kick back!

Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
jamie yugawa
 
jamie yugawa's Avatar
Location: Hilo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
I'd rather kick myself than let Dan kick me.
I agree! Funny thing is when he kicks its a small portion of power also. I don't even wanna think about half power....

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
jamie yugawa
 
jamie yugawa's Avatar
Location: Hilo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Sam had me try to kick him last time he was here - luckily he doesn't kick back!

Best,

Chris
Note to self: Don't kick Dan or Sam!

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
Whoops I meant "He kicked me... not "I kicked me...". I think if anyone could make me kick myself, it would be Dan or Sam Sifu!
I know a lot of folks that kick themselves after meeting Dan - usually for the fact that they wasted so many years going into a different direction because they were told from 'those that supposedly know' that what Dan can do does not exist - welcome to the club, dude

Greg
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Location: Leeuwarden. the Netherlands
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 150
Netherlands
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

IHTBF....but not more then once!

Ernesto
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,013
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

This from Facebook - a nice review of the Dan Harden workshop in Honolulu by the guys from Aikido Sydney:

Quote:
Survived 3 days so far with 3 of us from AKI Australia here in Hawaii with the most complete martial artist and seriously frightening fighter I ever expect to meet in my lifetime. Dan Harden is truly incredible! Dan is obsessional about Budo and Internal Power. A Genuine master who can do all that you read about and more. My bruises and pain is a symbol of his gentleness and consideration as he held back on us all. This has been a complete eye opener and life changing experience. Some pics soon. I am afraid that other Budo men pale in comparison. Much to say but it will take time. Stunning is an understatement. Another week yet to survive and soooo much to retain and practice & Repeat ad infinitum!
Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Dan will be in Bedford Hills, New York 12/7- 12/9 ! Blatant advertisement
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Howard Popkin
Dojo: Popkin-Brogna 大東流合気柔術銀柔会
Location: Long Island, NY
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 629
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
I'd rather kick myself than let Dan kick me.
I'd rather kick you then let Dan kick me too ...

Howard Popkin
www.pbjjc.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
This from Facebook - a nice review of the Dan Harden workshop in Honolulu by the guys from Aikido Sydney:
Quote:
Survived 3 days so far with 3 of us from AKI Australia here in Hawaii with the most complete martial artist and seriously frightening fighter I ever expect to meet in my lifetime. Dan Harden is truly incredible! Dan is obsessional about Budo and Internal Power. A Genuine master who can do all that you read about and more. My bruises and pain is a symbol of his gentleness and consideration as he held back on us all. This has been a complete eye opener and life changing experience. Some pics soon. I am afraid that other Budo men pale in comparison. Much to say but it will take time. Stunning is an understatement. Another week yet to survive and soooo much to retain and practice & Repeat ad infinitum!
Best,
Chris
Aussies!!!!
Can you spot them???
Great group, so much fun.!!!
I wasn't smiling because I was still trying to process their questions...I think they were even swearing at me!!! Look how happy THEY are!!
Damn accent!!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aussies- Hilo.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1077  

Last edited by DH : 11-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Chris Li
 
Chris Li's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 3,013
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Aikido Sydney - Steve Seymour, Bertrand Douillard and Michael Dreyer came up from Australia for Dan Harden's November workshops. Here's their after workshop review:

Quote:
Review of Dan Harden's seminar in Hawaii

36 yrs of aikido and it still didn’t make complete sense as to what Osensei was actually manifesting. Met some great practitioners but still nothing that transcended the physical, “magic” per se. Couldn’t find it anywhere on my sojourns and unable to produce it myself. The realization that most teaching in Budo is lacking the essential ingredients displayed by true masters, and what is read about, was motivation to attend 2 of Dan Harden’s Internal Power seminars in Hawaii. It was a cathartic experience. Suddenly it made some sense and I could experience the unstoppable power for myself. I had met a remarkable man! Dan Harden has mastered internal power through training, hard work and study. He has a fighting spirit blended with determination and talent, incredible discipline and an inquisitive mind that is unravelling the mysteries and mumbo jumbo that has shrouded Budo for centuries. It has been kept hidden in the past due to the need to never give adversaries an advantage. He isn’t the first to unravel the essential common denominator of ALL budo. After all, Morihei Ueshiba gave us aikido on these very principles. Where Dan is unique in our modern day western world is that he offers his ability, understanding and practices, openly, for the purpose of reinvigorating Budo. Dan teaches how to activate an internal system inherent in us all. You couldn’t say he does it for the money because what he charges is a pittance for what you get. He gives freely both in his teaching and of himself, but he doesn’t tolerate fools lightly. He pushes your buttons and admonishes weakness. This training isn’t for all, that is for sure.
Dan isn’t just words, he can prove it, and does so in every seminar and challenge, a truly stunning experience. He is constantly pulling back on his power so as to not injure those he engages with, and I speak from experience. Dan’s teaching consists of demonstration/application and theoretical/philosophical explanation. His explanations are clear and concise. The detailed exercises given for the acquisition of power are logical. The only thing he cannot give is the discipline and hard work required by each individual to enliven it within. Dan bares his heart through his seminars which is rare indeed for any martial artist. Ability is where Dan Harden stands tall amongst the martial artists of the world. He is exposing the essential component of Budo.
There are many who criticize Dan Harden in various forums. Inexplicable and unjustifiable after my experience. Maybe the reason is jealousy, the need to make a noise to cover up their own deficiencies. Many practitioners prefer the world of collusion and mutual deceit. Many are happy with what they do and don’t want the truth but prefer their own imaginary world. To step outside of our comfort zones and shatter our delusions is difficult and humbling. Not easy when we believe our own ego-centric projections. I just hope Dan keeps teaching sincere seekers and clearing the dross from people’s eyes. Those whose eyes are turned towards themselves are rewarded with their own company. Dan Harden’s seminar was excellent, and I’m sincerely grateful for the chance to meet him and receive his encouragement and teaching. I look forward to the next installment, if I’m deserving of it. Now for work!
Best,

Chris

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
Alec Corper
 
Alec Corper's Avatar
Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Location: Wapenveld
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 256
Netherlands
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

This review made me revisit here after deciding to quit.
This matches my experience after 20 years of Aikido and a total of 35 in Budo FWIW. The fact that Dan still has the patience to debate here with people who patently have no clue what he is doing or how he does it continues to impress me. I sure as hell would not. Kudos to the Aussies who took the trouble to go and find out instead of the majority of keyboard warriors and virtual world experts who just want to argue. Touch hands and all arguments will stop. I know Dan will say this is not all about him but about the practice of internals, but he is the one who is putting himself out there ( along with Ark and Sam ).
The chance of getting the same hands on with the top CMA guys is virtually nil and even if you could their explanations are, by majority, hardly useable.
Those who really want to know will just have to go and find out, you won't find out here.

Bye again, Alec

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
DH
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,394
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Some light hearted fun.

Hiroshi Kato
A 74 year old special forces, tough as nails, still on the mat teaching and doing Aikido in several dojos every week, budo guy who trains with me in Hawaii, wrote a song.

I recorded it on my cell pnone so the quality is what it is.
Notes to decoding the song.
I missed the first part where he stated that they wanted to make a gift to me in a traditional fashion. Either with a virgin offering, or a dance or a song

They make fun of the following:
My accent. I say yoga(r) instead of yoga
I eat rice with sugar and sometimes milk
I used to wear a purple and black plaid shirt, till they begged me to stop
I snorkled and fell asleep on the beach, woke up on the gay beach. I didn't care and stayed all afternoon. I was told I was "a bear" type guy (a middle aged, big type) I *think* it was supposed to be a compliment as my friend was smiling.

Anyway, the rest of the video is self explanatory.

Watch the guy behind him at the beginning for a funny reaction. He almost spit out his water.

Enjoy
Dan

Last edited by DH : 11-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
jamie yugawa
 
jamie yugawa's Avatar
Location: Hilo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Some light hearted fun.

Hiroshi Kato
A 74 year old special forces, tough as nails, still on the mat teaching and doing Aikido in several dojos every week, budo guy who trains with me in Hawaii, wrote a song.

I recorded it on my cell pnone so the quality is what it is.
Notes to decoding the song.
I missed the first part where he stated that they wanted to make a gift to me in a traditional fashion. Either with a virgin offering, or a dance or a song

They make fun of the following:
My accent. I say yoga(r) instead of yoga
I eat rice with sugar and sometimes milk
I used to wear a purple and black plaid shirt, till they begged me to stop
I snorkled and fell asleep on the beach, woke up on the gay beach. I didn't care and stayed all afternoon. I was told I was "a bear" type guy (a middle aged, big type) I *think* it was supposed to be a compliment as my friend was smiling.

Anyway, the rest of the video is self explanatory.

Watch the guy behind him at the beginning for a funny reaction. He almost spit out his water.

Enjoy
Dan
Hiroshi is the MAN!!!! That's great!!

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
Location: Elizabethtown, PA
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,110
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Some light hearted fun.

Hiroshi Kato
A 74 year old special forces, tough as nails, still on the mat teaching and doing Aikido in several dojos every week, budo guy who trains with me in Hawaii, wrote a song.

I recorded it on my cell pnone so the quality is what it is.
Notes to decoding the song.
I missed the first part where he stated that they wanted to make a gift to me in a traditional fashion. Either with a virgin offering, or a dance or a song

They make fun of the following:
My accent. I say yoga(r) instead of yoga
I eat rice with sugar and sometimes milk
I used to wear a purple and black plaid shirt, till they begged me to stop
I snorkled and fell asleep on the beach, woke up on the gay beach. I didn't care and stayed all afternoon. I was told I was "a bear" type guy (a middle aged, big type) I *think* it was supposed to be a compliment as my friend was smiling.

Anyway, the rest of the video is self explanatory.

Watch the guy behind him at the beginning for a funny reaction. He almost spit out his water.

Enjoy
Dan
Hawaiian folklore will never be the same - just plain hilarious
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
jamie yugawa
 
jamie yugawa's Avatar
Location: Hilo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 179
United_States
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

By the way only Haoles eat sugar, milk and rice!!! Gross!!! LOL!!

One little candle can light 10,000 candles- Koichi Tohei Sensei
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Mert Gambito
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 189
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
By the way only Haoles eat sugar, milk and rice!!! Gross!!! LOL!!
Hey, make that coconut milk, and we can have haupia and mochi!

Mert
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 375
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Mert Gambito wrote: View Post
Hey, make that coconut milk, and we can have haupia and mochi!

Mert
That's one of my favorite dessrts: Thai sticky rice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Mert Gambito
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 189
Offline
Re: My thoughts on Dan Hardens Seminar in Kona

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
That's one of my favorite dessrts: Thai sticky rice.
That's different stuff altogether -- but still delish!

Mert
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dan Harden's PA Seminar gregstec Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions 53 12-14-2009 09:30 AM
058) Hosting A Seminar: Week of October 18, 2009 Marc Abrams External Aikido Blog Posts 0 10-18-2009 08:50 PM
Teaching Aikido to Children 2008 Seminar Aviv Teaching 3 10-14-2008 01:23 PM
Randori Seminar with George Ledyard Sensei aikibaka131 Seminars 11 10-24-2003 12:30 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate