Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
dps

Twinkie Diet that Worked

How to loose 27 pounds in 10 weeks by eating Twinkies,.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html

"For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

"Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

"There seems to be a disconnect between eating healthy and being healthy," Haub said. "It may not be the same. I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much.."

dps

Last edited by dps : 11-08-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Twinkie Diet that Worked

Breaking news! Water is still wet, film at 11!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
"For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals....
I wonder what an examination of his funding sources would show... snack food industry shill is what I'm guessing?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
"There seems to be a disconnect between eating healthy and being healthy," Haub said. "It may not be the same. I was eating healthier, but I wasn't healthy. I was eating too much.."
So why does he not simply eat less of "healthy" food instead... oh yeah, because that is not sensational enough.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
lbb
United_States

A few less sensational items overlooked in the previous synopsis:

"For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned...

Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks."
Old 11-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
A few less sensational items overlooked in the previous synopsis:

"For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned...

Two-thirds of his total intake came from junk food. He also took a multivitamin pill and drank a protein shake daily. And he ate vegetables, typically a can of green beans or three to four celery stalks."
Mary, you are absolutely correct. The summary at the start of the article is totally misleading (not to mention the headline). Also, this sentence:
Quote:
"His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food."
is largely overlooked.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui