Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Call for Support for Mary Heiny Sensei's Hip Surgery

Posted 2008-03-21 11:03:41 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.friendsofmaryheiny.org/

From their website: "Mary [Heiny sensei]'s ability to teach aikido is at risk. After surviving polio as a child, and after years of hard aikido training in Japan in her twenties, she is suffering from severe and painful arthritis in her left hip and needs to undergo hip replacement surgery. Without this surgery, not only will she be forced to give up teaching aikido but will also be severely disabled in daily life."

"Our goal is to raise $30,000 by May 31st. Ambitious? Not really, not if we all pitch in. Please contribute. Please make a difference."

Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Call for Support for Mary Heiny Sensei's Hip Surgery

I'm supporting Mary Heiny in this change in her life. As a fellow budo teacher I'm facing the same thing in the near future. I know what it's like to face this sort of event and be concerned about financial stuff. I have many connections with long-time budoka that have had hip replacement or resurfacing procedures and have yet to hear from anyone that wasn't happy with the results. Everyone says to be sure and do the work both before and after the surgery to get in the best shape possible and do all the rehab required.

Best of luck to Mary...

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States

I urge everyone to please give ANYTHING you can to help Mary Heiny sensei through this difficult time.

What an awesome treasure to the Aikido community she truly is. I have had the opportunity to be her uke many times, travel with her to Japan, and spend time hearing her wonderful stories. And her laugh! That wonderful laugh.

I will be at the first seminar she teaches upon her full recovery, I don't even care where it's at!

Please support Heiny sensei. I did.

Much love Mary.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Mark Gibbons
United_States

You would also be welcome to come train and support Sensei here.

Two Cranes Aikido
8512 20th Ave NE,
Seattle, WA 98115

twocranesaikido.com

Fundraiser for Mary Heiny Sensei
Nidan Demonstrations
with
Joanne Veneziano Sensei, 6th dan & Kimberly Richardson Sensei, 6th dan

Saturday April 26, 2008

10:00 -11:30am & 2:30 -4:00pm

Nidan Demonstrations at 11:30 am

Candidates
Jen Stoakes
Scott Blaufeux
Jessica Levin

Suggested donation: $50 and up
All proceeds go to Mary Heiny who is preparing for a hip replacement.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
B.J.M.
Dojo: Aikido of Center City, Philadelphia, PA.
United_States

Hey Mark,

I wish I could go to that. I'll be in Chicago for the USAF yudansha seminar with Yamada sensei and Waite sensei.

I hope everyone has a good time and that more donations are received.

I mailed my donation in just a couple of hours ago!

Sorry again that I can't make this one.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: AikiWeb Raffle for Mary Heiny Sensei

What about doing a clinic featuring all aikido disciplines with 100% of the proceeds going directly to the cause. We could run it similar to the OSU Festival that Sam Combes Sensei of the Yoshinkai presented for many many years. Featured instructors would donate their time and energy.

Just a thought!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Just curious, does she not have health insurance? My insurance paid for the procedure 100%.

I had to have my right hip replaced this July past. It was the wisest thing I could do to keep living the lifestyle I've chosen and keep studying budo.

If she needs to talk to someone else in budo who's relatively young (51) with similar after-market parts, she can get in touch with me. Be glad to share info, etc.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
Lambdadragon
Dojo: Denver Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote: View Post
Just curious, does she not have health insurance? My insurance paid for the procedure 100%.
Hello Chuck,

I extracted the following paragraph from website: http://www.friendsofmaryheiny.org/

"Heiny Sensei's situation is difficult at best. She, as you may know, has led a non-traditional life (see attached bio for more details). Her career as an independent teacher of Aikido has never earned her more than a modest living and she is not eligible for the highly subsidized employment-based health insurance that gives many of us peace of mind. Although she has recently obtained minimal health insurance through the State of Washington, it is not all clear if that policy will cover a hip replacement, or how soon; the policy has a nine month waiting period for pre-existing conditions and hip replacements are not automatically covered. Heiny Sensei is currently struggling with a large and indifferent bureaucracy trying to obtain answers."

It also mentioned that she is considering going to Thailand to have the work done.

David Wilson
デイビッド ビィ ウイルソン
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GLBTAikido/