Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Chris Evans
United_States
CCW Permit and your carry pistol?

For you akikido-ka that has the privledge and responsibility of a CCW Permit, what's your carry pistol and it's load?

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: CCW Permit and your carry pistol?

Have a CCW from Florida, but I'm never in the states so don't carry. If I did it would be a Glock 30.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
genin
United_States

Just out of curiosity, why does the ccw permit matter? In my state it's legal to carry without a permit.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Chris Evans
United_States
Freaky! Re: CCW Permit and your carry pistol?

Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, why does the ccw permit matter? In my state it's legal to carry without a permit.
You're fortunate.

In my region of California, some people referred to as "Kalifornistan," if you are arrested without the elusive CCW Permit you'lll have a higher chance of being jailed, then lose your job and the reputation needed to be hired, likely lose your right to buy firearms, have your legal weapon be confiscated, perhaps be made a criminal, and might also be more vulnerable to civil/tort lawsuits, costing beaucoup cash, either way. About the only safe place to defend yourself, maybe, is in your home and when you can prove to a DA, that seem "above the law, that you were in fear for your life, but as soon as you step into your backyard or in public space, only the very wealthy or politically connected folks may legally be equipped to save lives with a discreetly carried weapon.

CCW Permits began a way for the KKK to limit non-White citizens from protecting themselves after the Civil War: For example, the late Rev. M. L. King was denied his Permit when applied after his house was attacked by a group of armed men at night.

Last edited by Chris Evans : 03-14-2012 at 11:11 AM.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
genin
United_States
Smile Re: CCW Permit and your carry pistol?

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
You're fortunate.

In my region of California, some people referred to as "Kalifornistan," if you are arrested without the elusive CCW Permit you'lll have a higher chance of being jailed, then lose your job and the reputation needed to be hired, likely lose your right to buy firearms, have your legal weapon be confiscated, perhaps be made a criminal, and might also be more vulnerable to civil/tort lawsuits, costing beaucoup cash, either way. About the only safe place to defend yourself, maybe, is in your home and when you can prove to a DA, that seem "above the law, that you were in fear for your life, but as soon as you step into your backyard or in public space, only the very wealthy or politically connected folks may legally be equipped to save lives with a discreetly carried weapon.

CCW Permits began a way for the KKK to limit non-White citizens from protecting themselves after the Civil War: For example, the late Rev. M. L. King was denied his Permit when applied after his house was attacked by a group of armed men at night.

I ended up looking into conceal carry laws a little further. Pretty interesting stuff. They say that studies show a slight DECREASE in violent crime when citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons. But then you have the argument that things like Columbine wouldn't have happened were guns not so ubiquitous. But I guess that's for a gun control debate. I will say that I like the idea of citizens carrying guns because it does deter "would be" criminals.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Chris Evans
United_States
Cool Re: CCW Permit and your carry pistol?

Quote:
I ended up looking into conceal carry laws a little further. Pretty interesting stuff. They say that studies show a slight DECREASE in violent crime when citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons. But then you have the argument that things like Columbine wouldn't have happened were guns not so ubiquitous. But I guess that's for a gun control debate. I will say that I like the idea of citizens carrying guns because it does deter "would be" criminals.
Guns are, indeed, ubiquitous, like it or not, but to understand this shows clear grasp of reality, that many lack.

Armed citizens, as prepared first responders, at Columbine might have saved lives by stopping the evil act that much faster than having to wait so long for the state (cops), that could not prevent violence, to stop that violence right then.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Open carry is legal in VA, but still advised to get CCW. It keeps you out of gray area as open carry rules require the weapon to be displayed open and unloaded in some cases, I'm not an expert, but CCW gives you more flexibility and will keep you out of trouble in those gray areas.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Chris Evans
United_States
Freaky! Open?

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Open carry is legal in VA, but still advised to get CCW. It keeps you out of gray area as open carry rules require the weapon to be displayed open and unloaded in some cases, I'm not an expert, but CCW gives you more flexibility and will keep you out of trouble in those gray areas.
Open Carry's a via able political right, a liberty, for sure, but not advisable since that completely eliminates the element of surprise and perhaps attract the "wrong" attention, becoming an ambush target, so a felon might be tempted to get your gun.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
genin
United_States
Re: Open?

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
Open Carry's a via able political right, a liberty, for sure, but not advisable since that completely eliminates the element of surprise and perhaps attract the "wrong" attention, becoming an ambush target, so a felon might be tempted to get your gun.
I've never heard of people who openly carry firearms being targeted by individuals who wish to rob them of said firearms. Not saying it hasn't happened, I'm just saying I've never heard of that being an issue. It seems to me that intentionally robbing someone whom you know to be armed would be a terrible idea, even for a career criminal.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada

In Canada, you aren't allowed to carry conceal weapons. I got myself a possession and aquisition license for unrestricted firearms, and planning to upgrade to restricted. But all that won't help me if my weapon isn't on me when I'm attacked.

Since my dojo is in the fucked up part of town (where people die monthly, if not weekly) it is likely I will be attacked on my way to the dojo, rather than in any other activities I do. The interesting thing is, apparently in Canada you are allowed to carry a live katana, so as long as it is WORN openly. As long as you don't put it in a bag or hide it, it doesn't count as a concealed weapon, and as long as it's longer than a certain length (to restrict knifes) you can legally wear it on your belt.

My sensei walked in downtown Toronto in his dogi, kimono jacket, and hakama, with the blade openly worn without trouble. Police did talk to him but never gave him trouble (more interested in the shinken than anything else). I can't wait to tell Sonoda sensei when he arrives here in the summer that yes, you can actually legally wear your sword here!

So if your place of residence doesn't allow guns to be worn conceal or openly, check it's sword laws. I'm willing to bet a robber will think twice about trying anything funny to the guy with a big sword

And if he doesn't... well, it's time to practice your Iaijutsu!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Thomas Campbell

Sig Sauer P226 SAS

.40 S&W
Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Alic Xie wrote: View Post
In Canada, you aren't allowed to carry conceal weapons. I got myself a possession and aquisition license for unrestricted firearms, and planning to upgrade to restricted. But all that won't help me if my weapon isn't on me when I'm attacked.

Since my dojo is in the fucked up part of town (where people die monthly, if not weekly) it is likely I will be attacked on my way to the dojo, rather than in any other activities I do. The interesting thing is, apparently in Canada you are allowed to carry a live katana, so as long as it is WORN openly. As long as you don't put it in a bag or hide it, it doesn't count as a concealed weapon, and as long as it's longer than a certain length (to restrict knifes) you can legally wear it on your belt.

My sensei walked in downtown Toronto in his dogi, kimono jacket, and hakama, with the blade openly worn without trouble. Police did talk to him but never gave him trouble (more interested in the shinken than anything else). I can't wait to tell Sonoda sensei when he arrives here in the summer that yes, you can actually legally wear your sword here!

So if your place of residence doesn't allow guns to be worn conceal or openly, check it's sword laws. I'm willing to bet a robber will think twice about trying anything funny to the guy with a big sword

And if he doesn't... well, it's time to practice your Iaijutsu!
Here in CA carry of even practice weapons uncovered in a bag or such is a crime in some counties. Such a hodge podge of rules that vary for town t ocity to county that is hard to even know when one is liable to commit a crime just holding a stick! In my county even a slingshot is illegal to use except at a rifle range (or 'approved' site - there are no such places) - they laughed quite hard at the rifle range when I made inquiries about using my little sling shot there.

Funny thing is open carry of an unloaded firearm is legal in most of the state! For now anyway.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
genin
United_States

Reminds me of marijuana laws. In Holland you can smoke it in front of cops. In Thailand, it's punishible by death. In California you just get a fine. In Georgia you get arrested for possessing even a seed. In Texas it's a felony, in other states a misdemeanor. That's guns and drugs for ya'!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
DonMagee
United_States

I have two carry pistols.

Winter - Walther P99QA in .40
Summer - Walther PPS 9mm.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Michael Neal

glock 27 (.40 cal)

haven't got a permit yet but plan to

Last edited by Michael Neal : 03-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
sorokod
United Kingdom

9 mm seems to be a popular calibre, see here for example http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/us...on-martin.html

Also, regarding hollow point ammunition, is it compatible with the aiki spirit?

<sarcasm-off/>

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
Walter Martindale
Canada

If it were legal to carry here, 1911...
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
Also, regarding hollow point ammunition, is it compatible with the aiki spirit?

<sarcasm-off/>
Hollow-point ammunition is designed to expand as quickly as possible when it strikes the body, so that it will not pass through and injure or kill someone who was not the target. Doing the least harm necessary while attempting to preserve one's own life seems to me to be in perfect accord with the aiki spirit --- and I mean this with neither sarcasm nor irony.

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
genin
United_States

As opposed to some other type of ammunition which doesn't hurt people???
Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
If it were legal to carry here, 1911...
Ahhh. What I learned on.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
As opposed to some other type of ammunition which doesn't hurt people???
If you don't need to hurt people you don't need ammo of any kind.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
sorokod
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
Hollow-point ammunition is designed to expand as quickly as possible when it strikes the body, so that it will not pass through and injure or kill someone who was not the target. Doing the least harm necessary while attempting to preserve one's own life seems to me to be in perfect accord with the aiki spirit --- and I mean this with neither sarcasm nor irony.
That makes perfect sense, unless... Unless you are attacked by multiple targets. For multple targets you are much better off with "flechette shotgun ammo"

Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Fwiw, military is not allowed to use hollow point under Geneva Convention. While not expressly banned, bullets that are designed to create more injury than necessary are not allowed. That said the reasons that Jimmy listed, ie over penetration etc are very good arguments in the right application.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #24
Benjamin Green
Scotland

The Hague Convention explicitly bans the use of bullets that are designed to flatten or expand - and NATO members don't use things that were thus banned.

Edit: Link
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
jester

United_States

Because not everyone lives in Alaska, Arizona, Vermont or Wyoming.

Quote:

-It seems to be all about semantics!