Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
morning classes vs. evening classes

Just curious; how many of you out there would like to take aikido classes in the morning, and if so, what are the favorite times? What about evening classes and the times that are preferred. Reason that I ask is that my morning classes are beginning to be better attended than the evening classes, which I think is quite odd. Like to know general concensus of when folks like to train (broad range of folks, not just my students).
Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Wayne
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
I Like Morning Class!

Rachel,

I like training in the morning for several reasons. (1) I can walk to the dojo (a fortunate coincidence) so a before-work 6 AM class just means that I get up a little earlier and only get to work a little later than the regular time. (2) Evening training takes a large bite out of time with my family. While I am in general willing to trade family time for practice time, my family doesn't like that very much. (3) A later morning weekend class still allows the remainder of the day for other chores and activites. (4) The evening classes usually end with beer waza and that's not a big attraction for me.

Wayne

P.S. I have enjoyed reading your questions and comments over the past several months. I hope you have continuing good luck with your dojo.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #3
Kevin Masters
Dojo: Woodstock Aikido
United_States
I like taking morning classes. I don't have much opportunity to though because of my work schedule.

Last summer I had a week vacation and got a couple of classes in during that week. That was a lot of fun. Of course if I didn't have to work at all I'd like to take morning and evening classes.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
I would love to be able to attend early morning classes before work. I think they would be a great way to start the day and get the blood pumpin'. Also, I find that I am quite "wired" after any exercise, which often leads to insomnia if I exercise in the evening.

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 01-19-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Morning classes from 7-8 AM, with an average attendance of 8-10 people. Evening classes from 19:30 to 20:30, avg. attendance 16-20. I´ve attended evening classes the most, but I do enjoy morning classes when I manage to get up early!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Jerry Miller

United_States
Red face

Rachel,

Part of the reason I go to my current Dojo is the timing of the classes. I work swing shift and cannot go to the night classes. We have Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday classes midday. Because of my shift I could not make an early class either. I struggle to be on time as it is.

Jerry Miller
Old 01-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #7
Brehan Crawford
Right now I only go in the evenings as it's easy for me to get there via the bus on the way home from work.

I'd love to attend morning classes but the timing of them (6-7 a.m.) just doesn't work well for me. Hopefully someday I'll be able to make it.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
Marc Kupper
Dojo: Aikido of Diablo Valley / ASU
United_States
I usually go to the mid-day (12:30 to 1:30pm) classes so that I can be home in the evenings with my family. It helps that I work at home and the dojo is less than ten minutes away.

The downside is that nearly all of my sempai, and most dojo members, attend the evening sessions (6:30pm to 8:30pm) and so I don't get to practice with them as often as I'd like to.

My dojo does not offer very early morning classes.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #9
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Great answers folks! Thank you!

We have two morning classes (9:30-10:30) each week, which were started as I had two guys on swing-shift. I don't think I could move my rear out of gear for anything earlier though. This morning I had 6 people in class, whereas in the evenings I usally have 3-4. The morning and evening classes have been running about even, but it started me thinking how much more interest I could generate if we had classes earlier in the day (or later in the evening).

Appreciate all your input, and thank you Wayne for the kind words.

Rachel
Old 01-19-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
Kat.C
Our sensei has two morning classes a week , unfortunately I've only been able to get to them a couple of times. The Friday morning classes start at 6:45 and the Saturday ones start at 9:00, it really is a wonderfull way to start the day, I hope to be able to move into town so I can go to those classes. The Saturday classes our pretty well attended but on Fridays there is usually just three or four people which is nice, and kind of want sensei wanted as he uses that time to practice rather than just teach and it's great to be able to work with him.

Kat

I find the aquisition of knowledge to be relatively easy, it is the application that is so difficult.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:35 AM   #11
Patrick O'Regan
Australia
We have morning classes at 7.00 am on Wednesday and Friday, 8.30 Sat and 7.30 Sun.

I love them. They are a great way to start the day. It is less disruptive to my home life and I can get to training more reliably (no problem with working late etc.)

We have breakfast together after training. It feels great. I get sleepy around midday though.

Paddy
Old 01-20-2004, 05:57 AM   #12
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
I attend classes regularly at two dojos. My regular dojo only has an AM class on Saturdays at 9. I love that class! Even though I am NOT a morning person, I never miss the Saturday class (unless I am carless or away or something horrid like that). There's just a special "energy" in that class. We are all sleepy and groggy at first, but by the middle of class, we are full of energy. I, too, wind up really sleepy by midday, though!

The other dojo has an AM class 5 days a week. Tues (10), Wed(10), Thurs (10), Sat (11), Sun (11) I attend the Tues AM class every week and I love it! It's a tiny class..last week I got a private lesson, can't beat that! But normally, we have 2 or 3 students plus the teacher (one of my favorite Aikidoka). Since my night classes are normally much larger, it's great to get so much one-on-one time.

If I could, I would go to the other AM classes, too. I did attend the Sun. AM class a week ago.........that was a pretty big class with A LOT of yudansha. My regular dojo is only 5 years old so we only have a few blackbelts. Most classes the only blackbelt there is Sensei! So I'm not used to "too many chiefs, not enough indians" (to use a rather un-PC cliche).

I think both AM and PM classes have a lot to offer. Like my friend Kevin said, if I could I'd go to class morning AND night!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 01-20-2004, 11:41 AM   #13
jgrowney
Dojo: Rochester New York Aikido Club
We train from 6-8am every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I think it's great because it's sort of like stolen time. Wives & children are still asleep, and it does not take away from work or any other normal daytime activities. It simply takes time away from sleeping.

Most tell me that it's difficult at first, but after about a month of training at this hour, it becomes habitual. They then begin to get up earlier on days that they are not training and are much more productive.

Jim

Jim Growney
Old 01-20-2004, 10:25 PM   #14
SeiserL

United_States
I attend the morning class 8:00 - 9:30 am because it workes best into my schedule.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #15
akiy

Hi folks,

I guess I'll be honest here and say that I am one of those folks who just can't get up for aikido so darned early in the morning! I prefer my aikido training to be later than 10am at the earliest...

-- Jun, evening person

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I'm with Jun on this one. My perfect day starts at about the crack of noon and goes to 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. the next day.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #17
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: morning classes vs. evening classes

Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
Just curious; how many of you out there would like to take aikido classes in the morning, and if so, what are the favorite times? What about evening classes and the times that are preferred.
At Peter Bernath's dojo in Ft. Lauderdale where I trained for three years, he has a well-attended 9:30 am class. Regulars include housewives, a harbor pilot, retirees, self-employed at leisure to set their own hours, and folk with other than 9-5's.

At the dojo where I train now, I have a 4-5 month old class at noon. We have a core of 4 (2 housewives, a guy with a graveyard shift, and a student) with several others having drifted in and out.

This dojo's evening classes begin an hour later than Peter's (7 vs 6 pm), but both are well-attended.

Hope this helps.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 04-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #18
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
i prefer evening class rather than morning class, because here in indonesia the air is so humid at daytime, making the air a bit choking, especially if you don't have proper ventilation in your dojo. I like evening class start at 6.30pm to about 8 or 9pm.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #19
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
From what i've been told...

The things you do shortly after you wake, are more easily added to the subconscious part of your brain than those during midday, that's the only benifit i've heard of though.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 04-03-2004, 07:12 AM   #20
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland
Our dojo has a 0630-0730 class Monday to Friday with a couple of evening classes thrown in. I must say that, when I can drag myself out of bed in the morning, it leaves me feeling great for the rest of the day (although flying at 0645 can make the rest of the day seem somewhat uneventful) but the evening classes are a great way spend an evening.

I'd say that a mix of both is best if possible IMHO.

By the way, if I can echo Wayne and wish you all the best with the new dojo.

Cheers.