Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Litska Meet

So I was in the mood for a road trip. Phoned up a couple of Aikido friends, contacted Peter Goldsbury, and with a minimal amount of negotiation picked Saturday and chose a rough intinerary.

One of my Aikido students showed up on time but yours truely was still in bed - not a good start - but hey I'm quick with a bit of fire under my butt. Ten minutes latter we were off from Himeji to Okayama (a little over an hour away) to pick up the man that was the first person I met when I went to Honbu dojo - he was deshi at the time - and a good friend. Interesting man, after he finished his apprenticeship under my teacher, he studied for several years under a famous Daito-ryu teacher - now he does both Daito-ryu and Shodokan.

Another couple of hours we were in Hiroshima and met Peter G. He wisely advised us to park in the city and take the train - apparently every Japanese and their dog is visiting a shrine in the New Year and Miyajima is very popular. He quoted 140,000 visited the day before. After a bit of manouvering in the city we parked the car (almost an hour) and went to lunch. Well fed (as an added bonus I could have a beer since we were taking a train) off we went to Miyajima Island. Very easy, not so long, and no traffic jams. The place was crowded but not terribly, I guess the other 130,000 where stuck in traffic.

Miyajima shrine is gorgeous when the tide is in. Surrounded by water it looks like its floating. When the tide is out - not quite the same. People sort of wander around the front - sometimes reaching the Tori but we decided to climb the mountain and see if we could see the 1200 year old flame.

Well being Budo guys we decided to give the roap way a miss and walk up. Needless to say that took quite a while but lots of Budo conversation along with intervals of "So how do you do this technique". Usually we found a quiet place with no one around but every now and then we had to act nonchalant as people passed by.

The day was cold be we were sweating but it got worse. Almost near the top Peter G. and I slowed down a wee bit while the others powered to the top. We caught up a few minutes later where we found one waiting and the other checking when the last ropeway was. We were tired but worse evening was upon us. These was still a little less than a km to the top in the other direction so Peter G. and my student headed that way while I ran to pick up the other. The two of us then ran to catch up to the other two - we really did our New Years Shugyo. We climbed onto the back of a Goddess. Once the film gets developed I will post a picture of our haggard, sweaty selves. We ran, not because we are rough, tough, he-man types but because the deadline for the last ride down was 30 minutes away. Timing was pretty good - we were able to walk the km to the ropeway.

It was only on the way down that we realized how far we had climbed. Fantastic view. By the time we got down Miyajima shrine was surrounded by water and night. The latterns lighting up the orange paint was really special so we hung around there a bit, watched some deer wrestling, talked some more Budo, etc. We would have stayed to eat but everything was shutting down - apparently there is no nightlife on the island. Not sure if it is the same reason there are no graveyards.

Hiroshima we spent a few more hours talking Budo over food and then back to our respective cities.

Fantastic visit.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
akiy

Hi Peter,

Sounds like a great trip and visit! Hiroshima and Miyajima were two places I visited during my week-long jaunt away from Tokyo at the end of my research period there. I took pictures over the entire week but managed to leave the film at one business hotel where I stayed. Also, what a treat to be able to hook up with Peter Goldsbury -- a gentleman, a scholar, and a butt-kicking aikido instructor all rolled into one whom I've had the pleasure of meeting briefly as well!

I'm looking forward to your pictures. Please feel free to upload them into the gallery section of this site, perhaps under "AikiWeb Member Images"...

Hope your new year is filled with happiness, Peter.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!