Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
N. Tamura Shihan Passes Away

I just read that N. Tamura Shihan passed away tonight.
He will be missed. My condolence to him and his family.

Rest In Peace.

/J

Jakob Blomquist
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
akiy

Re: N. Tamura Shihan Passed Away

Hi everyone,

Can anyone else please corroborate this piece of news for me? I'd like to make sure before I put out a front page news item.

If the news is, indeed, true, my condolences go out to Tamura sensei's family, friends, students, and loves ones.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Per Wikipedia, Tamura Shihan passed away on July 8, 2010.

My heartfelt condolences and prayers of support go to his family, his students, and to the wealth of individuals who benefited from knowing Tamura Shihan, and were indelibly touched by his graceful manner, along with his powerful and inspiring leadership over so many decades.

May his hard won legacy of integrity, passion for Aikido, his loyalty to both the Founder and to the Ueshiba family, all be deemed worthy of praise and admiration by all within, and those surrounding the Aikido community.

Please rest in peace, Tamura Sensei.

Last edited by aikishihan : 07-09-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jakob Blomquist wrote: View Post
I just read that N. Tamura Shihan passed away tonight.
He will be missed. My condolence to him and his family.

Rest In Peace.

/J
If indeed Tamura Sensei has passed away I offer my own heartfelt condolences to Mrs Tamura, family and friends.Tamura Sensei was not only one of the finest aikido masters he was a really nice man with a great sense of humour.I am sure I am not alone when I say he will be sadly missed.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Maybe this could verify this sad news
http://www.aikido-france.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6331
http://www.leotamaki.over-blog.com/article-deces-de-maitre-tamura-53695797.html

It is said he died on 9th of July about 19:00. (7pm).

Carsten
Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Yes it was confirmed for me on yahoo.fr questions. This is the official link.

http://www.ena-aikido.com/

It is very sad news. Tamura Sensei was modest and unassuming and gentle and funny and his aikido was wonderful.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 07-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Condolences. In every breeze that comes is the spirit of a warrior; in every breeze that goes is the spirit of a warrior. These are dreams.
In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
crbateman

Very sad news indeed. His spirit will endure in the many touched by his teaching.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Hitoshi Nagai
Dojo: Aikido Doyu-kai Hong Kong
Japan

I got a very sad news.
Extend my condolence.
I learned a lot from Tamura sensei.
This is a really sad news.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #10
AikiWeb System
Nobuyoshi Tamura Sensei Passes Away

Posted 2010-07-10 09:04:51 by Jun Akiyama

Nobuyoshi Tamura sensei (8th dan, Aikikai) passed away on July 9th, 2010. He was born in 1933 in Osaka, Japan and started out as an uchideshi under Morihei Ueshiba sensei in 1953. He was sent to Marseille, France, by Ueshiba sensei in 1964; according to Wikipedia, "he arrived in France in the port of Marseille in 1964 as the final destination of his honeymoon cruise (he paid part of his trip by performing aikido exhibitions on the ship). In France, he succeeded Tadashi Abe as the Aikikai representative there and decided to stay in this country teaching aikido as a living, despite the fact that he was barely speaking French at that time." My condolences go out to his family, friends, students, and loved ones.

Last edited by akiy : 07-10-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

Very sad news.

Condolence to his family and students.

Aikido Philippines
Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Mikemac

Dojo: Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Hadn't heard the name before, but looked him up. Peace to you Sensei..........Tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpz4Zrjt7Bk

"Hey! You got your kotegaeshi in my peanut butter!"
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

A true gentleman and a Budo giant.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #14
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

My condolences to his family, friends and students. I only met him briefly but his technique and bearing left a deep impression. I will always remember the beer he poured me after I passed my shodan exam and that he took the time to chat at every table in the pub after the seminar (in his impeccable French).

Jonathan Olson
Old 07-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #15
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Such sad news.
Perhaps fittingly I heard the news on my way back from an Iai-do event.

So many happy memories - I knew Tamura Sensei for over 30 years- and will always treasure his knowledge, warmth and friendship.

A true giant of Aikido.

Goodbye Sensei with great love

Philip
Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
James Kirkpatrick

Dojo: Ji Myo Kan Ledbury
United Kingdom

Very sad news.
Another great man to pass away.

James
Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
oisin bourke

Dojo: Muden Juku, Ireland
Ireland

I never got a chance to train with him, but, from what I've seen, he's my favourite "Aikikai" Aikidoka. Elegant, effortless, effective, a true Artist.

His Aikido never stopped developing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGYI5yy2VgM&feature=fvw

Those of you who trained with him were very lucky indeed.

I would recommend his Tanabe video from last year to anyone.

Condolences
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
akiy

Mr. Greg O'Connor asked me to post the following message from him.
Quote:
Greg O'Connor wrote:
Regarding Tamura Sensei's passing

I always enjoyed Tamura Sensei. I had the opportunity to take ukemi a few times, and had a few opportunities to visit off the mat. Tamura Sensei seemed always kindhearted to me and always the gentleman. I remember that in one of his classes I had a special training partner for the entire class—Sugano Sensei. That class also one of those times I was honored to have the opportunity to take some ukemi from Tamura Sensei.

Several years later he purposely came over to several of my students and I at a banquet to join us for an extended period of relaxing and laughing. We were already having a great time and I think he was drawn by our open frivolity. He posed for photos all around and those photos always remind me of his kindness and the good feelings we all shared.

His good humor, combined with his intensity and technical mastery will be missed. He has left a legacy to be honored.

Greg O'Connor
Dojo Cho, Aikido Centers of New Jersey
-- Jun

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
akiy

Hi folks,

If you have any personal recollections of training with Tamura sensei, please share them with us below.

-- Jun

Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
NagaBaba

Re: N. Tamura Shihan Passes Away

Tamura sensei is one of major influences of my aikido development. I can’t find right words to express the sadness after his passing.

I did my first seminar with him, not having even 5th kyu. After warm-up, as usual, he walked from one person to other for some personal practice. I had a chance to attack him, young and stupid I said to myself: Now! full power attack on this old guy! …I even didn’t understand what happened, but after crashing on the tatami I saw him smiling with happiness..I knew I was hooked to aikido for good.

Sensei was quite small, and didn’t have large muscles. May be because of that he developed almost magical capacity to perfectly adapt his teaching to everybody, strong or weak, big or small, beginner or advanced… Very often he attacked us, teaching by using some kind of mental and physical paradoxes. His attacks were very powerful but you had to remain very soft and still do an efficient technique..

He controlled you even before you was able to touch him. That was the first time I physically experienced ‘aikido before contact’. Tamura sensei taught by seminars, he never really developed his own dojo. So with my wife we followed his seminars all over the Europe for more than ten years. His teaching was very strict and such high quality; many failed their dan test even before starting it – by not following right etiquette. You didn’t arrange your weapons correctly before the test – you already failed test!

The same was for technique – many times he repeated: “One millimeter too much to the right or too much to the left and you are not doing aikido anymore..” A simple walk with him through the town was full of special teaching… During summer camps he served himself meals, cakes to all participants during farewell party…he was teaching us by example every minute of his life…It was very difficult to learn from him, he was so high level… after 25 years I’m scratching merely the top of iceberg..

Great human being, charismatic aikidoka, forever will be inspiration in my heart.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
jxa127

Szczepan,

That was a beautiful tribute.

I'm sorry I never met Tamura Shihan.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 07-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

I am so sorry to hear of the recent death of Tamura Sensei who was a credit to all things Aiki. My condolences to Tamura Sensei's family.
Tamura Sensei first visited the UK in 1968 at the invitation of TK Chiba Sensei to take part in his first Bracknell Summer School, along with Ichamura Sensei and Tada Sensei. Chiba Sensei asked me to take both Tamura Sensei and Ichamura Sensei on a tour of London.
I have added some photos of these two very happy young men taken that day. They are on the front page of ``British Aikido
History `` at http://www.british-aikido.com/

Henry Ellis
http://kyu-shin-do.blogspot.com/
Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #23
Rob Watson
United_States

I was lucky enough to attend a Tamura sensei seminar when he once came to Berkeley Aikikai back in the 1990's. He was ill (maybe a slight cold) and had come from a long flight and the seminar was packed. We did a series of 'warm ups' that were quite unusual and no one had ever seen them before. Of course the seminar was amazing and his movements and mental projection very palpable. Really remarkable to watch him receive ukemi and completely stifle everyones technique with seemingly no effort until they got it exactly correct.

The really amazing thing was after the seminar he took questions and someone asked about the unusual warmups and Tamura sensei said he was reading about them in a book he found on the airplane flight over. Imagine that going to a seminar and finding a book on the way and using that material to open the seminar! Not exactly takemusu but certainly spontaneous enough. That such a talented and senior practitioner can be so open about new materials is truly inspirational and a lesson for one and all. Maybe it was just a big joke - subtle, but still a good lesson on many levels.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Due to my oncoming senility, dates become jumbled, but events remain fresh and clear. The event described occurred more than 20 years ago.

In an Aikido related venue in Hawaii, I was approached by a contingent of relatively young Aikido members of the Honolulu dojo, who felt that, as the future leaders in Aikido, they were being excluded and ignored by the established core of senior Aikido instructors in matters regarding Aikido's future in Hawaii.

This is not an uncommon complaint, and one I have heard countless times before whenever consecutive generations struggle to find common ground for mutual respect and meaningful interaction. Why they asked me for help, I still am not sure.

I decided to ask Tamura Sensei if he would take the time to meet with these well meaning, but clearly unhappy and frustrated students, and perhaps share some of his unique insights into generational issues, and Aikido.

He not only enthusiastically agreed, but proceeded to listen carefully, and then remind all present of the obligations that they, as the next generation of leaders, had to their sensei's, to their commitment to the Founder's Aikido, and to themselves, to live the examples they were seeking from their elders, and would now need to give to their eventual students.

This was well received, and allowed me to appreciate yet another dimension of this marvelous direct student of the Founder.

Last edited by aikishihan : 07-12-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #25
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Just a couple of memories:

Tamura Sensei playing football with my 3year old son on my parents back lawn - "losing" him at Manchester airport - whispered instructions whilst I was being served green tea (which I hate!!)

One particular Aikido memory though,

When doshu fitted Paris in 2001 I remember walking into the dojo and literally (almost) bumping int Sensei with Doshu. After the normal greetings Sensei "tapped" me in the midriff and asked "How heavy?" "105 kilos" was my reply.
With a broad grin Sensei pointed to himself and replied "50".

Naturally 10 minutes late in full view of not only the seminar but French TV cameras I am being comprerhensively dumped several times (I distinctly remember being horizontal at one point). Demonstration over and reiho complete Sensei gives me a huge wink and walks away laughing. Something that will always stay with me!