Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia
Aikido? RBSD?

While 1st time i entered my dojo, Aikido seens like traditional MA as peoples consider about. Aikido has no sparring competition, the reason is Aikido can kills during competition. My final consider is Aikido is usually works as reality, almost 40 years already Japanese public security dedicates Yoshinkan Aikido. I am still confused that am i learn Aikido or RBSD, other side Joe Thambu Sensei works at bouncer more than 30 years and he uses Aikido everyday at his working place.

Until now at Shudokan Dojo, i have still watch police tactics as performed by Ramlan Ahmed Sensei. I accept that because someone fells bored during practice kihon dosa with solo, but hiriki no yosei (1) and (2) helps to cultivates my arm power. IMHO, Aikido is RBSD as i do concern and that is why Shudokan Malaysia tries to bring it over public/private security.

So, is Aikido really RBSD as you do concern?

NOTE: RBSD = REALITY-BASED SELF-DEFENSE

KamiKaze
Old 01-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Aikido? RBSD?

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
So, is Aikido really RBSD as you do concern?

NOTE: RBSD = REALITY-BASED SELF-DEFENSE
I think it depends on what reality you live in. For some it may be RBSD, for others probably not.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Larry Camejo wrote:
I think it depends on what reality you live in. For some it may be RBSD, for others probably not.

LC
Thanks for your concerns, anything is depends at myself how to survive at street.

KamiKaze
Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Takumi

Dojo: Roe Jan Aikido
United_States

I think Aikido is a very effective 'RBSD'. One of the major reasons is that uke's attacks are all real attacks that someone might do in reality. So nage's technique would then also be reality based.

Just my opinion...

-Dylan
Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
DonMagee
United_States

RBSD is a formalized system of fighting techniques trained in scenario type training. You are walking home and night and grabbed from behind, execute move sequence number 14.

While aikido techniques could make their way into this kind of training, it is not aikido. RBSD classes would have none of the spiritual teachings of aikido, talk of ki, clothing, or other aiki related stuff. It would only focus on a small subset of techniques and scenarios.

I would like to touch on something you said about aikido competition. The lack of competition has nothing to do with killing. Any martial art done properly has the ability to injure and kill. The reason there is no competition is purely a philosophical one. In fact, there is indeed a brance of aikido with competitions.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
Keith R Lee
United_States

Quote:
Dylan Clements wrote:
I think Aikido is a very effective 'RBSD'. One of the major reasons is that uke's attacks are all real attacks that someone might do in reality. So nage's technique would then also be reality based.

Just my opinion...

-Dylan
You see lots of muggers coming in with a big winding "Heeya!" open hand strike to the head??? Intersting place you live in...

Keith Lee
Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
Takumi

Dojo: Roe Jan Aikido
United_States

LOL!

Ok, so maybe not ALL the attacks are... But I am also a beginner at Aikido, so I am seeing the basics mostly... I was referring to katate dori, kate dori, tsuki, yokomen, and Shomen (In a sense). I personally do see that a lot.

-Dylan
Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
RoyK
Dojo: Nishin Kan
Israel

I'm a beginner in aikido and in randori I've already noticed that the attack type isn't that important, I treat each attack like a representative of a group, and the basic defense and sometimes the techniques themselves work for the entire group with small modifications.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

Our dojo approaches it as reality based for certain. We train with various attacks, weapons, etc. Even if it's a mental approach (this jo is a pool cue, this escrimi is a lead pipe, etc.), the focus is on defending against multiple opponents and various methods of attack. Do we breakfall and roll out of techniques in training? Of course. Do we apply the locks until someone taps? Absolutely.

In a parking lot downtown is a person going to shomen uchi with his hand (karate "chop" per say)? Not very likely. But it is likely that someone might come overhead with a pool cue, bat, pipe, etc. Is it likely that someone is going to round house punch to your temple or try to stab you in the gut with a knife? Definitely.

Aikido or any other martial art is not a magic pill you take and overnight you're a bad ass. It's a process of training to learn many skills (beyond just the techniques).

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Rock on!
Eddie
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I talked a little about my views on RBSD the other day in this thread, post #68. Might be of use to you.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...120#post164120

Also agree with Don Magee as usual concerning defining RSBD.

As Larry states, there are many definitions to RBSD.

RBSD is a tricky area. On one hand, you can learn some very efficient, quick and effective things for certain scenarios. Good for Police Officers that sometimes work within certain situations or parameters such as arresting someone.

On the other hand, if you spend too much time on specifics and don't develop a good base, then when you are presented with a situation or conditions that are different than what you are used to dealing with, then your game might fall apart.

I think for those studying martial arts as a lifesytle or what not, it is better to stick with a well rounded system, then supplement wtih RBSD scenarios from time to time.

Too many RBSD schools I think focus on the specifics, and not on the principles or basics, and therefore have a very narrow base...this is why they take a lot of heat in the Martial Arts community sometimes.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Cyrijl

For those interested (and i am sure these have been posted before)

Here Matt Thornton talks about the basics of aliveness. He mentions RSBD type systems and expands on what Don and Kevin are getting at

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...53&q=aliveness

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...26&q=aliveness

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!