Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
GreenLizzard
United_States
why no martial art stores?

Have you ever noticed there are no actual martial art stores. I mean ones that have physical presence, not just internet sites. There are tons of fitness stores and sports shops where ever you go, but none dedicated to the martial arts.

Pain is inevitable...suffering is optional
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: why no martial art stores?

Quote:
Virginia Lewis wrote:
Have you ever noticed there are no actual martial art stores. I mean ones that have physical presence, not just internet sites. There are tons of fitness stores and sports shops where ever you go, but none dedicated to the martial arts.
Well, I can see that you yourself live in the US, but not all members of this forum do. There are plenty of martial arts stores in Japan.

P A Goldsbury
Old 06-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

yeah but walk in one and try to find a jo longer than the standard shyaku (4.2? 6 is too long).

i sure miss the Army/Navy Surplus!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:49 PM   #4
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Here in seattle there is one "kung fu" shop in town that i can think of. It mostly stocks gis but it also ha s wallhanger swords, ninja stars, wu shu weapons, a few iaito, bokken, shinai, a fair selection of books. You are right though, they are few and far between. The best places to look are in chinatown districts if your area has one.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 06-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
DonMagee
United_States

I know a few schools in the area that pimp their own products so much they might as well be their own store.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
crbateman

We are fortunate here in Orlando to have an excellent one, in business for many years. What they don't already have, they can get. I sometimes forget that there are so few like this around. I do know that the internet has hurt their revenues, because everybody wants them to maintain a large, expensive inventory and showroom, but also to sell everything at internet prices. Anyone who has ever owned a retail business can tell you that it can't be done.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States

um there is a really good martial arts store right near me, very cool knowlegable staff, Ive been known to just pop in hang out and chat with them

Dan Hulley
Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Talon

Dojo: Aikido Zenshin Dojo
Canada

Threre are a few martial art stores in Edmonton.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

When sensei Bill Sosa was living, he ran a combination martial arts store/dojo. It is still a viable idea.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
kuniggety
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Japan

Like it's been stated, it's a bit of a problem in the US to find actual stores... but when outside of the US, it's not so much of a problem. I live in Okinawa and I've found one with a decent selection. Actually, in the States, one of the best places to look for martial arts gear is flea markets. There's normally at least one person who has a stand with weapons/gear.

Last edited by kuniggety : 06-24-2006 at 01:01 AM.

<-- retarded - last name is actually Walker
Aikido no n00b desu.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #11
justin
United Kingdom

as mentioned the internet is a major cause of this i beleive no overheads cant compete with that
Old 06-24-2006, 03:55 AM   #12
alex padilla
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club, Philippines
Philippines

hi Virginia,

If you ever get to go to the Philippines you can find martial arts stores from Recto to Quiapo along with other pioneer dojos.
Martial Arts store in that area is commonplace.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #13
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Market Demographics - pure and simple

1% of the population has any interest in martial arts at all (MA trade journals)

Most of these folks train at schools which supply the majority of their uniform and equipment needs (no surprise there)

The market for better quality uniforms and weapons is REALLY small; (if you figure that the vast majority of practitioners quit before they get to any significant level of skill, this makes sense)

High quality gear lasts a long time... not only are there few people who need the top quality bokken, when he or she buys one, it lasts for years, Not great for repeat sales...

With the advent of the Internet, the competition is global. I can get swords from China, Iaito custom made from Japan, bokken from Vermont, all sitting at my desk. The stores that do exist tend to carry the low end stuff which is of little interest to me... Why bother?

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 06-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #14
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Virginia Lewis wrote:
Asian World of Martial Arts ( http://www.awma.com ) had a store in Philedelpia twenty years ago. I do not know for certain if the store still exists. But if it does, there's an exception to your rule.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #15
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Virginia Lewis wrote:
Where are you?

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #16
hapkidoike

I can buy a mokgum (booken), jeek do (shani) , and sang jul gun (nunchucks) at my local grocer. But i live in korea.