Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #26
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Unhealthy Aikido obsession

But remember the rules:

1. Don't try to make a living teaching Aikido.
2. Don't fool around with your female students.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
Basia Halliop
Canada

First of all, do try to keep some balance in your life. Definitely do your homework, have friends, etc. Those are things that are worth also doing regardless of how into something you are. Keeping your grades up will give you all sorts of opportunities and choices in the future, and it's always worth making time to hang out with friends or make new ones.

Also, you've only been doing it fourth months -- who knows if it will turn out to be something you really enjoyed for a brief period, or something that you actually do long term. It could be either way, and you will figure that out in time. Enjoy it, though.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
But remember the rules:

The society is getting more and more tolerant towards lesbians but I suppose it is generally good advice.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Stephen Nichol
Dojo: Aikilife, Canberra
Australia

Greetings Rute,

It is wonderful to hear you express yourself so well about enjoying Aikido as much as you do.

Remember to breath, this is important. Getting this excited is wonderful but do not forget to breath.

If I could offer a little advice to calm your worries about 'will this affect me in bad ways now or later?' well..

When you are in class focus completely on Sensei and what you are there to learn. Completely. Enjoy yourself, have fun and smile.

By the same measure, when you are at school, focus completely on your studies. Give your 'Sensei' in the classroom the same attention and respect you give your Sensei at Aikido. Do well in ALL your studies, not just one.

When you are with your family, give them your full attention as well. Focus on what they need and want to share with you completely. Family is so very important. Future relationships, when they happen will require sincere attention as well. Share and participate in everything you can.

Just imagine how you feel if someone only pays you half their attention when you are trying to ask them a question or explain your feelings about anything... surely for just a few moments of their time you deserve all of their attention? So give those that need your attention your fullest, completely focused attention while you are there and you will learn when you need to learn whether it is Aikido or Math or History... or talking about movies and music with friends and family. All of this is equally important because different things are important to different people.

Do not worry about 'possible future events that have not happened yet.' Just focus on 'right here, right now' wherever you are. Give each person, each moment in time your fullest attention and you will not need to be worried about anything.

Hope that helps you enjoy everything a little more. Stress a little less about all things and still love your time with Aikido and not worry about 'side effects'.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #30
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
But remember the rules:

It's ok to fool around with your male students? Eeep!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
RuteMendes
Dojo: Dramático de Cascais
Portugal

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
It's ok to fool around with your male students? Eeep!
What?! I don't even understand where this topic came from! Ahahah xD
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
RuteMendes
Dojo: Dramático de Cascais
Portugal

Quote:
Stephen Nichol wrote: View Post
Greetings Rute,

It is wonderful to hear you express yourself so well about enjoying Aikido as much as you do.

Remember to breath, this is important. Getting this excited is wonderful but do not forget to breath.

If I could offer a little advice to calm your worries about 'will this affect me in bad ways now or later?' well..

When you are in class focus completely on Sensei and what you are there to learn. Completely. Enjoy yourself, have fun and smile.

By the same measure, when you are at school, focus completely on your studies. Give your 'Sensei' in the classroom the same attention and respect you give your Sensei at Aikido. Do well in ALL your studies, not just one.

When you are with your family, give them your full attention as well. Focus on what they need and want to share with you completely. Family is so very important. Future relationships, when they happen will require sincere attention as well. Share and participate in everything you can.

Just imagine how you feel if someone only pays you half their attention when you are trying to ask them a question or explain your feelings about anything... surely for just a few moments of their time you deserve all of their attention? So give those that need your attention your fullest, completely focused attention while you are there and you will learn when you need to learn whether it is Aikido or Math or History... or talking about movies and music with friends and family. All of this is equally important because different things are important to different people.

Do not worry about 'possible future events that have not happened yet.' Just focus on 'right here, right now' wherever you are. Give each person, each moment in time your fullest attention and you will not need to be worried about anything.

Hope that helps you enjoy everything a little more. Stress a little less about all things and still love your time with Aikido and not worry about 'side effects'.
Thank you for your wise words! I'll follow your advice!
I'll respect and focus on all teachers as if they were teaching something as exciting as Aikido...

P.S: yeyy Only an hour until my next Aikido class I'm so excited!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #33
aikidoka81

Singapore

Quote:
Rute Mendes wrote: View Post
Thank you for your wise words! I'll follow your advice!
I'll respect and focus on all teachers as if they were teaching something as exciting as Aikido...

P.S: yeyy Only an hour until my next Aikido class I'm so excited!
So cute you're so excited about Aikido ^_^

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #34
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Chua Halim wrote: View Post
So cute you're so excited about Aikido ^_^
So cute you're responding to all these months-old (and even years-old) threads
Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Alberto_Italiano

Quote:
Rute Mendes wrote: View Post
Hey!
I'm new in this forum... Just started Aikido 4 months ago!
I'm a 15 years old girl from Portugal and there's something that's kind of worrying me: I'm started to get obsessed with Aikido! Seriously!
I think about it all the time... During the morning, afternoon, night (yes, I dream about Aikido very frequently ). I don't mind, actually... 4 months ago, all I did with my life was studying and going to facebook and useless websites like that one. Now I've got something worth living for, you understand?
I even think about it while in school classes... Like "hmmm would shihonage work with this person? or pehaps an iriminage? how would o'sensei react if someone attacked him? wowww aikido is great! can't wait until next class! oh! forgot we had maths homework! what do I do now? " :S
I know it sounds silly, as I started recently, but do you think it will end up affecting my studies? How shall I deal with this? Is it unhealthy?
Does anyone else feels an obsession for Aikido?

Please don't tell me to quit, it's absolutley out of question.

Thanks for reading ... Please reply.

Peace!
Normal.
Actually this is not an aikido thing. It happens with all martial arts and, indeed, with anyone genuinely interested in a topic. A bridge builder evaluates a bridge any time he crosses it.

ps iriminage never works in a real situation (or at any rate the level of stern and fierce resistance you will find is gonna be truly startling if compared with ukes in dojos). Put iriminage in the sheath of the very very theoretical approaches.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #36
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu, I may beg to differ. Iriminage does work very well in a real situation, and is a very useful aikido technique to practice.
In gassho,
Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States

I agree Mark, especially the Omote (Seagal sensei) version. If its delivered quick, fluid, and smoothly!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
Alberto_Italiano

Go in a bar. A bad one. Choose a big guy, before he gets too drunk.
Pick a fight. That's easy, call him names.
Now, as he starts punching you or just before he begins, iriminage him. Twice.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #39
lbb
United_States

Maybe the interested parties could create a new thread to squabble about iriminage rather than hijacking someone else's thread. You could call it "Is not, is too, neener neener neener!" Just a suggestion.