Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
ss bio

Steven Seagal bio on A&E tonight 12-22-04 check times.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: ss bio

Other than the direct quote that he was "an uchideshi in Shinjuku," I thought the show was pretty good. I'm guessing the aikido clips are from the video he sells. Can anyone confirm that? If we take out all the bs, I still think that Mr. Seagal is to be commended for the things he has accomplished.

BTW, I believe that John Stevens founded his Tohoku Fukushi University dojo before SS founded his in Osaka.

Charles
Old 12-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

For those in the UK, it's on the Biography Channel Sunday 16th January at 8PM.

http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk...showgroup=1377

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Charles:

"BTW, I believe that John Stevens founded his Tohoku Fukushi University dojo before SS founded his in Osaka."

I was under the assumption that the dojo was his wife's family dojo and that he became the chief instructor and was rapidly promoted from 1st to 5th dan. I don't recall reading he actually started his own dojo. I think his ex wife still runs it. Could be wrong.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi John,

I was responding to the tv show which stated that he was the first westerner to open a dojo. Also, his official web site says that he is the only caucasian to ever have run an aikido dojo in Japan!

Charles
Old 12-23-2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Charles:

"BTW, I believe that John Stevens founded his Tohoku Fukushi University dojo before SS founded his in Osaka."

I was under the assumption that the dojo was his wife's family dojo and that he became the chief instructor and was rapidly promoted from 1st to 5th dan. I don't recall reading he actually started his own dojo. I think his ex wife still runs it. Could be wrong.
It was his wife's dojo originally - her mother took out a mortgage on a building that she owned in order to build a new dojo for Seagal after they were married. The wife run's the dojo currently.

Best,

Chris

Old 12-24-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Dammit!! I just caught the tail end of the show .....(about 45 seconds)

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #8
Jerry Miller

United_States
Thumbs down Re: ss bio

I caught the tail end of this two nights ago at 1:09 AM central time. So I missed the first ten minutes of it. It was pretty good. There was a fair amount of aikido and I thought it looked pretty good. YMMV

Jerry Miller
Old 12-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

The program was largely "journalism light" in my opinion. Many of the issues surrounding Seagal Sensei were just touched upon, if at all. A good portion was dedicated to his new CD coming out and the new movies he's making. I really enjoyed the segments that dealt with his stunt planning in the movies and the short segment with his original teacher. Most of the aikido shown was clips from his own film, "The Path Beyond Thought". A&E could have done a much better job of examining a very complex person. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 01-19-2005, 01:11 AM   #10
batemanb

I finally got to watch this last night. I quite enjoyed it, it is the first time I've seen Aikido footage of Seagal other than the clip on the front of Nico. Thought he wasn't half past bad , the aiki was good, although I thought he looked a bit stiff, very little body movement, but it didn't look like he was using strength to compensate, a minor quibble. Interesting to see the footage of him with Isoyama Sensei talking about their adventures in Juso. He talked about training with the masters in Tokyo, but never mentioned anyone or where, like Charles, the thing that stood out for me was the statement that he became an uchi deshi in Shinjuku, I'd be interested to know who with.

Over all, I thought it was an interesting program, although I do wish he'd do something with his hair, it often looked like he had a bad wig on.

He's got a pretty reasonable singing voice too, no I'm not joking.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-19-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
John Houck
Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido
United_States

This is what I found on the web,but I have also heard it confirm through other senior students. regards John

Steven Seagal began training karate at the age of 7 under Fumio Demura, and later began practising aikido in the late 1960s at the Orange County Aikikai in California under Harry Ishisaka.
Seagal Sensei received his 1st Dan from Koichi Tohei in Orange County in the summer of 1974 and traveled to Japan shortly thereafter at the tender age of 19. Seagal separated from Tohei's organization and assumed direction of the Aikikai-Hombu affiliated Tenshin Aikido Dojo in Osaka which was owned by his Japanese wife's parents.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #12
batemanb

Thanks John,

No disputes there, but it doesn't mention anything about Shinjuku or being an uchideshi, that's the bit I'm interested in knowing. Incidentally, that's purely out of interest, not trying to shoot the guy down or anything.

rgds

Bryan

Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #13
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

I will give Sensei Segal credit for helping to get aikido into the mainstream through his movies and such. I've heard some interesting stories about him both good and bad. Are they true who knows......
I've seen some footage of him at a seminar in Japan and to be really honest I wasn't impressed. He seemed very stiff. All he really did was atemi. Maybe he was having an off day, lord knows I've had those more than a few times. No offense intended for you die hard fans out there.