Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Eliott Beazley
Dojo: Abundant Peace
Canada
Starting out

Hello everyone,

I am just a beginner and I would like to know kind of stuff that I can expect to come across in my many awaiting years of aikido practice. I have been in it for about a month now and I am in love with it. Can anyone give me any suggestions or comments on how to make my aikido practice go as smoothly and as peaceful as it has been for the first month?

Thank you, Elliott
Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Eliott Beazley
Dojo: Abundant Peace
Canada
Smile Re: Starting out

I may not have been clear enough in my last post. What I am mostly curious about is the ranking and testing part of aikido. I have some stage fright so dont hesitate to tell me your testing and ranking experiences please!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Starting out

Looking back, I would say that the best preparation for a test is to go to practice regularly, relax, and enjoy the journey. Everything else will work itself out in the end. I was always extremely nervous for my kyu tests but I finally figured out that if you practice enough, the test is nothing. I was as calm as I have ever been in an exam during my Nidan test three years ago. I don't even think about the Sandan. I just train.
Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 04-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, relax, breathe, and enjoy your training. Testing will come when you are ready. Welcome.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
bryce_montgomery

United_States

Heh...Lynn, you took the words right out of my mouth...

Bryce
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
gstevens

Dojo: Aikido Of Berkeley

I know what you mean about there not being much out there for beginers to get a feel of the start of training. I thought this when I started so I decided to write a public journal about what it is like to be a beginer. I kept it up every training day through my 3rd Kyu test.

I started writing it when I was trying to pick a Dojo and tried to be as completely open and honest about my experiences as possible.

http://www.aikiweb.com/blog/3176

Which is here on this site.

It might answer some of your questions. About what to expect, and even what it felt like for me.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Rod Yabut
United_States

Quote:
Elliott Beazley wrote:
I may not have been clear enough in my last post. What I am mostly curious about is the ranking and testing part of aikido. I have some stage fright so dont hesitate to tell me your testing and ranking experiences please!
In my experience, I was absolultely terrified and bumbling on my very first test! I think that's a good thing that you bumble early and not when it counts (dan tests). Like everyone has said, do your very best to relax and keep practicing.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #8
TheWonderKid
Dojo: Memorial University Aikido Club
Canada

Congrats on starting Aikido. I only discovered it myself in September and have remained fascinated with it ever since. In terms of what to come, I'd say you're in for a treat as you begin to learn more techniques, counters, breakfalls, etc. Especially the breakfalls. Stuff that looked like I'd never have the nerve to do are now fun and I'm always looking forward to taking a new type of fall.

You'll also discover much of the philosophy behind it and learn how all the pieces of the techniques go together and the techniques start to flow better. Once you've begun learning about your center things'll flow more smoothly.

In terms of testing you just need to relax (something I failed to do on my first grading). Rank isn't as important and the skills that are needed to acquire said rank so as long as your Aikido is good don't worry too much about rank and how fast you can make it to the next one. Enjoy the trip.

But the main thing you can do is to keep your love of Aikido with you and you'll be fine.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:17 AM   #9
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Elliott Beazley wrote:

We all get stage fright at some point. I remember one test I took with Chiba Sensei vividly because I went completely blank when asked for Iriminage from Gakkyu-Hamni. Thinking quickly I grabbed my partner who whispered "S***, I've forgot it as well"

This was followed by Sensei gently enquiring "Whats wrong, have you both forgotten the technique?"

P.S. We both passed.