Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
arjandevries
Dojo: Ima Juku
Netherlands
Rolls

Hi all,

I am interested in how you teach beginners how to roll.

Please share your thoughts with me.

Thanks,

Arjan
Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Re: Rolls

I usually start by demonstrating a forward (or backward) roll from my knees then asking them to try and copy me. This lets me see what they are capable of. From there I teach them what they need to know.

Some people need to start by just curling their back and rolling on it to see how that feels. Others can do a rudimentary roll immediately. It really depends on the student.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 03-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
felipe_3
Dojo: Kynsei Ryu
Ecuador

roll=. mae kaiten, ushiro yoko kaiten, ushiro kaiten is it??? if is these I have a video that helped me much to learn the rolls the videos is of donovan waites
Old 03-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

We usually start beginners with koho tento undo and the unbendable arm. For clarity's sake, koho tento undo is the drill where the student sits and rolls back and then upright, switches legs, rolls back and then up to one knee, switches legs, sits and rolls back to return to standing. Different names for the same exercise often occurs, hence the description.

From that we have them roll backwards in koho tento undo, up to the knee and then into a forward roll.

At least this is our traditional starting place.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia

Hi All,
We started using the systema method a few years back to help people get over the fear of rolling and then progressed to the more usual methods.

Systema method is astretching and breathing progression and at some point in the stretch the beginner topples over into a roll - there is no moment of truth and no mental precipice they need to cross for success. No injuries on the point of the shoulder when the arm collapses etc..

We wrote up the progression through a number of topics including donovan wait - see the ukemi link in my sig

hope it helps and appreciate feedback

dan

Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
felipe_3
Dojo: Kynsei Ryu
Ecuador

I learn the rolls here:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaicleoK4M

But, also I practiced in my dojo after see the video.
good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
We usually start beginners with koho tento undo and the unbendable arm. For clarity's sake, koho tento undo is the drill where the student sits and rolls back and then upright, switches legs, rolls back and then up to one knee, switches legs, sits and rolls back to return to standing. Different names for the same exercise often occurs, hence the description.

From that we have them roll backwards in koho tento undo, up to the knee and then into a forward roll.

At least this is our traditional starting place.
hey michael, i learned it similarly to that and seems the most efficient. we sat with our legs to the front, roll back over one shoulder to touch the balls of the feet to one side, then roll back to the sitting position. then roll back over the other shoulder to touch the balls of the feet, then back to sitting. did that a few times and then roll over one shoulder touch the balls of the feet to the mat, then knees, then come up in seiza...once the student is ok feeling their body go over their shoulder and arm, then they reverse the process for a simple forward roll

practice hard
Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
JW

My current sensei has good results with something like this for forward rolls:
start in seiza. right shoulder touches mat. Right hand reaches for left knee. Left knee retreats backward. So far student should be stable and there is no balance challenge. Then they rock forward over the right shoulder.
So you cheat out of the arm part as a baby-step.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
RED
United_States

I'm amazed for natural rolls really are. Technically as a child I rolled around in a similar manner in play. (from shoulder to hip) Yet, I'm also amazed how hard it is to revert back to those basic motions in adulthood.

Regardless, I've had a good bit of help by these tips given to me by teachers:

Never look at the mat, where ever your eyes fixate your face will follow.
Keep eyes on Nage.
Keep arms extended and relaxed.
For forward rolls, roll pass the shoulder, not on it, and gets as low as you can first.
For back rolls, roll from knee, to hip, to shoulder in a controlled movement. Never straight back.

I'm still working on perfecting these tips myself.

MM