Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #51
David Yap
Malaysia
Re: Aiki Age 'shape'?

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Thank you for posting.
Could you be so kind to explain, what you want to express?
Speaking for Josh, I believe he is referring to different shapes of aiki age alias kokyu-ho.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #52
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
The 法 (Ho) in 呼吸法 Kokyuho is commonly defined as "law," such as a "law of nature" or "Buddhist law."
Also, though in the Chinese reading (it differs little in this case) -- in 兵法 Bīng Fǎ, Sun-zi's famous treatise on war. 法 is closer in reference to the Greek techne which we now separate into two aspects "art" and "technology" -- but they did not. And so our technology became ugly and our art useless.

There is a lesson here, I think.

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
Of course Aiki Age and Aiki Sage, on the surface at least, appear to be a bit more discrete in their directional reference than Kokyu . . . on the other hand, if they are not linear in nature then where does the Age or Sage begin or end exactly? Perhaps there specificity is more of a referent of relative convenience rather than an absolute.
I identify aiki with the manipulation (法?) of pure shears. Pure shears exploit the gyrational qualities of structures, statically and dynamically. Juji or the perpendicular principle of action, alters the eccentricity of loads on the structure, to create shears from existing poised loads without altering them directly.

A wave is a dynamic shear translated through a medium. In a wave, the water at the trough edge is drawn under and up the rear of the swell. The crest is drawn over and down the face. This is the principle/law/method of aiki age and aiki sage/inyoho/kokyuho etc...

If pure shear is present both complementary actions are in action simultaneously in every case -- but, as in the breaking wave (aiki sage) or the tsunami's lengthy drawout (aiki age) -- not always obviously coincident -- dare I say, one is quite often omote and the other ura.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #53
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

"A wave is a dynamic shear translated through a medium. In a wave, the water at the trough edge is drawn under and up the rear of the swell"

I've been enlightened! I now know the next step to internal bodyskill!

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #54
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Lorel Latorilla wrote: View Post
"A wave is a dynamic shear translated through a medium. In a wave, the water at the trough edge is drawn under and up the rear of the swell"

I've been enlightened! I now know the next step to internal bodyskill!
Ah, but can you surf ? -- That's the question.

The topic was the relationship of the two principles (age - sage)and their relation to the shape of the action in the OP.

Is my observation wrong, in your view? If so, how would you better describe it ?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #55
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

That's very interesting, Erick. Could you please elaborate on juji altering the eccentricity of loads "without altering them directly".

Thank you,
Alex.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #56
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
That's very interesting, Erick. Could you please elaborate on juji altering the eccentricity of loads "without altering them directly".

Thank you,
Alex.
"Not altering directly" in the sense of neither adding to nor diminishing ... An applied load at 90 degrees to another load ( or pair of opposed loads poised statically), alters the eccentricity of the load without changing its magnitude -- neither opposing it or adding any extra energy. To shear a structure in this manner the necessary applied load in Juji is very small in proportion to the typical poised static loads (e.g. -- your weight poised against the earth's resistance at any support joint).

An oscillation applied (or the static "shape" equivalent -- like a shifting standing wave -- tegatana -- see the OP image again) "pushes" that wave-like eccentricity displacement (irimi-tenkan principle) through the structure until it finds a support joint that is incapable of recovering from the displacement and that progressively buckles the whole thing -- either in compression (aiki-sage) or in tension (aiki-age) or in both simultaneously (tenchi). Biomechanical manipulations also play into it -- but only because the body is naturally attuned to its critical vulnerability to these things and reflexively responds to those if they occur at a resonant frequency (e.g. -- furitama or tekubifuri) before the target can consciously react.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 09-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.