Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
Brian Sutton
United_States
Tips for sitting seiza?

Anything you can offer for helping to sit seiza will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: Tips for sitting seiza?

What exactly is your problem with seiza? bended legs? knees? ankle?

When you have trouble bending your legs for extended period of time you can practise at home and use a (small) pillow to sit on (e.g. yoga does this) and reduce pressure on the knees and legs.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #3
Adam Huss

United_States

Barring health complications, and if you are just concerned with sitting for an extended period of time, best bet is to not fidget and let your feet go numb.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
Brian Sutton
United_States

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
What exactly is your problem with seiza? bended legs? knees? ankle?

When you have trouble bending your legs for extended period of time you can practise at home and use a (small) pillow to sit on (e.g. yoga does this) and reduce pressure on the knees and legs.
The tops of the feet bending under and facing the ground. The part that is facing upward when you walk, now being sat on is what hurts. Knees and legs are strong.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

When I sit seiza my feet rotate slightly so I'm not directly on the bone at the top of my foot. YMMMV
Old 02-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

So, the tops of your feet? Mine tend to cramp up if I don't stretch them out a bit. My wife taught me some pointe stretches from ballet (shut up, they work). Mostly the ones I need just involve pointing the toes to stretch out that part of the foot. Plus I'll set in seiza a bit before class to make sure they're not going to go nuts on me when we bow in. That would be embarrassing.

But even with that, I still tend to pull my right foot in a good bit or I just can't stay in that postion for long.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
jdostie
Dojo: Aikido of Livermore
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
So, the tops of your feet? Mine tend to cramp up if I don't stretch them out a bit. My wife taught me some pointe stretches from ballet (shut up, they work). Mostly the ones I need just involve pointing the toes to stretch out that part of the foot. Plus I'll set in seiza a bit before class to make sure they're not going to go nuts on me when we bow in. That would be embarrassing.

But even with that, I still tend to pull my right foot in a good bit or I just can't stay in that postion for long.
Overlapping my feet is much more comfortable, but less martially desirable.
Crossing my toes, (or feet close together, but not crossing) tends to lead to cramps. Could be hydrations, poor stretching, low potassium, lots of things, but my solution is usually to go ahead and overlay my right foot over my left.

(My knees have their own issue with seiza, but that's arthritis, and just a fact of my lift).
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Brian Sutton wrote: View Post
The tops of the feet bending under and facing the ground. The part that is facing upward when you walk, now being sat on is what hurts. Knees and legs are strong.
My best advice is to practice sitting that way as much as possible, getting as close to the position you're looking for, but without overdoing it. My ankles have to roll a bit because I'm too flat-footed, but I just make sure not to overdo anything and I find my body sorts itself out more or less. It's when I've forced myself to sit painfully that I've found the biggest, longest-lasting problems develop.
Stretching slowly and alternating between opposing directions seems to help me.
Good luck!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 AM   #9
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

There is an exercise where you roll your toes into the tatami and reverse to stretch your toes (front end on tatami and lift heel upwards). This might as preparation. Also 'rotating' the front of your of foot in the tatami and flex in your heel. Hope this makes sense :-)
But whatever you do: do not force it, you might do more damage than good....

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 02-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Adam Huss

United_States

Freezing a bottle of water and rolling it under your arches is an old trick we used to do in track and cross country. Very soothing for plantar fasciitis, for those that suffer collapsing arches.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Brian Sutton
United_States

Thanks for the tips..
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Brian Sutton
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post

No need for the comment "shut up, they work. I have nothing but respect for the ballet. They have some of the best body mechanic training in the world. Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:48 AM   #13
kewms

Are you experiencing muscle soreness, or surface/skin discomfort?

All of the tips above for muscle soreness are good. But the skin on the tops of the feet is also naturally very soft and not accustomed to contact. So you may just need to develop some toughness there, especially if your dojo has a relatively abrasive mat surface, such as canvas.

If that's the case, there's really nothing for it but time. Have someone check your posture to make sure your weight is distributed properly -- not putting too much pressure on any one point -- and make sure that any actual abraded ("mat burned") skin is protected so that it can heal properly.

Katherine
Old 02-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
No need for the comment "shut up, they work. I have nothing but respect for the ballet. They have some of the best body mechanic training in the world. Thanks for the tips.
Just wait until I start talking about belly dancing and Aikido!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Something that works fairly well for me is to move my knees closer or farther apart during seiza. I sometimes go from knees actually touching to a foot apart and so forth. It still hurts, but just a little less.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

While holding onto something for support, I stand on one leg, bend my other leg up into the position it will be in seiza and use my hand to stretch the ankle. Even a bit of this before class seems to help.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #17
henrypereira
Dojo: eiryukansleaford
United Kingdom

Quote:
Anything you can offer for helping to sit seiza will be greatly appreciated.
keep training at the beginning everything hurts but as the times go by your body will get use to it