Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-24-2001, 02:26 PM   #1
phd
Unhappy

The dojo I attend is, for reasons I will not go into in this forum, desperate to borrow approx 40 No.2m x 1m training mats, interlinkable type preferably, in order that we can keep the club going. We have sought assistance to purchase replacement mats in the future but we could really do with borrowing some for a few months. ( We are looking at sponsorship and grants also),

If you know of anyone who may be able to help, please, please drop me an e-mail. Your help may be for mats, or for advice on obtaining sponsorship, best prices (UL please) etc.

The dojo is in South Wales, so, somewhere within reasonaable travelling distance would be benificial.

Many thanks for reading my plea....

Peter
Old 03-27-2001, 07:53 PM   #2
Ray Kissane
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido
You should be able to make an acceptable MAT. Our Dojo use's a closed cell foam pad (like the type portable mats are made of) these pads are taped together in the size you need. The tape is to keep the pad from shifting and buckling during use. On top of the pads is a canvas covering that is tacked down with a board all around the edges. I have found drop cloths that painters use to be a good weight of canvas and they are fairly cheap to purchase.

The mat may be a little harder than a rubber mat but it will work fine. As you need to replace the mat just add a new layer on top of the old one.

Also keep your eye out for wrestling clubs or gymnastic schools that may be getting new mats where you could get there old ones.

Ray Kissane
Old 03-27-2001, 09:25 PM   #3
Mark Cochran
Hi I don't know how much of a help the may be but tacking foam ruber to peices of card board has been used by some friends as a home made mat. I admit that they are a bit on the extreme side when it comes to training. However if you use enough paiding it might work. The card board is to protect the pading from the dirt or wear of the floor. I hope this is of some help.

The meek shall inherit the earth. It is our duty to seek out and protect them.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:03 AM   #4
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Years ago, before they got mats and we started borrowing them, the judo club in the college here used cardboard boxes flattened out and taped together. Unless you've a concrete floor or something, you might be able to get away with this for a while. I suppose you could put newspapers under as well, thought that'd probably just make the cardboard slip.
It might be time to concentrate on aikiken and aikijo a bit more for a few months......

good luck!

andrew