Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2001, 11:35 AM   #1
Yoshiman
Question More About Saito and Isoyama?

Does Saito's Aikido emphasize the use of atemi?

Also, for people such as Mr. Akiyama who have seen both Saito and Isoyama, could you tell me if their aikido is similar or are they quite different?

Yoshiman
Old 05-06-2001, 08:00 PM   #2
akiy

Hi Brad,

I've only seen Saito sensei "in real life" (outside of video tapes and such) but it seems like his approach to aikido does include atemi. Can others add to situations in which Saito sensei uses atemi in his techniques?

I never got to feel Saito sensei at his seminar, but Isoyama sensei did use me as uke at times during his seminar. His techniques are very precise and effective. I wrote a review of his seminar which should have my experience at his seminar.

It's tough to "compare and contrast" their aikido as I didn't get to feel Saito sensei's aikido. Isoyama sensei's aikido seemed different externally from Saito sensei's, but how it looks is often not an indication of how it feels.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-06-2001, 09:06 PM   #3
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: More About Saito and Isoyama?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoshiman
Does Saito's Aikido emphasize the use of atemi?
Almost every technique in the kihonwaza syllabus includes atemi. Most is the middle knuckle protruding kind of atemi. There are some shuto, though.

The middle knuckle strike is mostly done as a quick jab but is sometimes done as a hook punch. Infrequently, the strike is a double strike with each hand targeting a different soft spot on uke.

Quote:
Also, for people such as Mr. Akiyama who have seen both Saito and Isoyama, could you tell me if their aikido is similar or are they quite different?
I'll have to defer to those with direct experience with both teachers.

Greg Jennings
Old 05-07-2001, 03:08 AM   #4
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Re: Re: More About Saito and Isoyama?

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Jennings
Almost every technique in the kihonwaza syllabus includes atemi. Most is the middle knuckle protruding kind of atemi. There are some shuto, though.
The middle knuckle strike is mostly done as a quick jab but is sometimes done as a hook punch. Infrequently, the strike is a double strike with each hand targeting a different soft spot on uke.
KAMI : Those strikes are very similar to the ones in the syllabus of Yagyu Shingan Ryu which, by the way, Ueshiba Morihei Kaiso studied for many years and, I believe, incorporated in his Aikido.
Best

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 05-07-2001, 08:14 AM   #5
Jon C Strauss
Dojo: Rocky Mountain Ki Society
Ki Symbol More About Saito and Isoyama

Howdy,

Jun said:
I've only seen Saito sensei "in real life" (outside of video tapes and such) but it seems like his approach to aikido does include atemi. Can others add to situations in which Saito sensei uses atemi in his techniques?

I can, I can! At his seminars in Denver he has shown some arts where nage actually initiates the technique and then does the throw to uke's defense/counter-attack.

Jun also said:
I never got to feel Saito sensei at his seminar, but Isoyama sensei did use me as uke at times during his seminar. His techniques are very precise and effective.

Yes Jun, precise and effective. And very painful--but in a fun way (not really). My experince with Saito sensei is that he feels much more relaxed. He moves and you just go/flow with him and you're not really sure why. However, I can't say that Isoyama sensei was tense or used a lot of muscle. He was just very precise & intense. Yee-owch!

Peace,
JCS
RMKS at CSU

I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him.
--Booker T. Washington