Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2003, 02:01 AM   #1
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Starting over

I am aware that when one changes Aikido styles that the rank you have obtained in the previous style is not recognized in the new style. My question is this. If you have recieved a high rank after training in the previous style for say 8 years, and your rank isn't recognized by the new style, how does the sensei in the new style deal with testing this student? Do they make him/her go through the entire criteria again, with all the tests till he reaches his previous rank? Or do they assess his/her ability within the first week or so and test him on the rank they believe him/her to be at skipping all the ranks previous to that?
Old 05-10-2003, 05:33 AM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Hi Kelly,

it depends on the teacher. I had trained 8 years in one style and then switched. I didn't test for close to a year, then my first test was for sankyu, was awarded nikkyu, tested for ikkyu a year later, then did my shodan test at the same time that others who had started "from scratch" did theirs. As a matter of fact, my teacher had quite long gaps on my subsequent test (4 years to nidan), and now after 20 years of practice, I am getting ready for sandan. I know my teacher didn't want to see any vesitages of my previous training left in my body language; others feel differently. Personally I don't agree with how mine was handled and would have tested sooner, or at least acknowledged all the effort and experience that was there previously. It remains a sore spot.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Wink maybe some day

Wow Sandan! And hear I'm just hopeing to get shodan before I retire. That's what I get for waiting so long to start.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #4
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Ranking

Whatever rank you had from your previous teacher is what you have at my school. The stipulation about testing is simply that on your next test you are responsible for everything that you should have covered had you been one of my own students.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
zachbiesanz
Dojo: New York Aikikai; Byakkokan Dojo (Toyama Ryu Battodo)
United_States
"Aikido students new to the area are welcome to join Nippon Kan as a transfer student. There are no limitations or restrictions based on former style or affiliation. If a transferring student is interested in transferring rank, please report your current rank to office personnel. Because rank is not determined by testing at Nippon Kan, we ask transfer students to attend general and beginning classes to become familiar with Nippon Kan style, philosophy and rules of etiquette. After a period of observation, rank transfers can be granted. In accordance with Japanese martial art tradition, students may not transfer into Nippon Kan if the applicant was not in good standing at their previous dojo. Students over the rank of 3rd kyu need to have a letter of recommendation from their previous instructor."

-Aikido Nippon-Kan, Denver, CO

Aikido is the art of hitting an assailant with the planet.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Hi Kelly!

My case is sort of odd in that I came to Aikido from 12 years of aikijujitsu so wasn't a newbie to movement and principles of Aikido. I completely understood, of course, that I was switching arts and trained in my current dojo for 5 years before testing because I wanted to focus on the art adjustment. I was surprised, however, when I was told after 5 years of training that I would have to test for go-kyu and go through the ranks one by one because "that's the policy". Seems silly to me but so be it. 6 and 1/2 years and I'm up to san-kyu. Happily, for me anyway, I'm happy just to train. Maybe I'll just stay here at san-kyu

~~Paula~~
Old 05-30-2003, 07:20 PM   #7
aubrey bannah
Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane
I like it where you are allowed to grade every month until you catch up with the grade you had allready achieved. I have seen this a few times all the way to a fairly high dan rank in one instance. This gentleman did train more then twice a day for more than 300 days a yr for 2yrs though. It would also depend on the emphasis put on the rank in the dojo. If 3rd or 4th dan is not seen as a particulary high rank by the Dojocho it would clear the way to allow students to progress appropriately.

Such powers I poccess for working in the political field have been derived from the spiritual field. Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:27 AM   #8
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Previous Experience

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
Hi Kelly!

My case is sort of odd in that I came to Aikido from 12 years of aikijujitsu so wasn't a newbie to movement and principles of Aikido. I completely understood, of course, that I was switching arts and trained in my current dojo for 5 years before testing because I wanted to focus on the art adjustment. I was surprised, however, when I was told after 5 years of training that I would have to test for go-kyu and go through the ranks one by one because "that's the policy". Seems silly to me but so be it. 6 and 1/2 years and I'm up to san-kyu. Happily, for me anyway, I'm happy just to train. Maybe I'll just stay here at san-kyu
I had a young man come in who had trained since he was a kid in Judo and Karate. He is quite serious. Within a few weekshe was training with the yudansha in the advanced class. He also trains in Katori Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu and is doing a bit of training in the Systema. I didn't bother with any kyu testing. His first test was Shodan. However, he took so long getting around to doing it (he is somewhat of a perfectionist) he could have moved up the kyu ranks in the same amount of time.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-31-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
aubrey bannah wrote:
I like it where you are allowed to grade every month until you catch up with the grade you had allready achieved.
What's the point? I think the system becomes a fetish. If ability is the issue, test to his ability. If it's testing fees, hit 'em up front for it.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-31-2003, 03:20 PM   #10
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Previous Experience

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
I had a young man come in who had trained since he was a kid in Judo and Karate. He is quite serious. Within a few weeks he was training with the yudansha in the advanced class. He also trains in Katori Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu and is doing a bit of training in the Systema. I didn't bother with any kyu testing. His first test was Shodan. However, he took so long getting around to doing it (he is somewhat of a perfectionist) he could have moved up the kyu ranks in the same amount of time.
Hi George,

Say Hi to that "young man" for me. He's one of my favorite uke when I'm in the area. If you ever get tired of him...I'll pay his ticket to Tempe.

Take care,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org